cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

*WARNING* PG279Q shipping with defective AU Optronics panels *WARNING*

Juston_Gold
Level 7
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that the new PG279Q is shipping with defective AU Optronics LCD panels.

[*Slander removed by moderator*]

There is a huge fiasco going on with the the PG279Q and the number of returns to Asus is pretty staggering.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18674039

For an $800 monitor this is just pathetic.
72 REPLIES 72

Korth
Level 14
You link to an 11-page forum discussion about gaming monitors ... ?

You make some pretty strong statements, they might even be true. But I'd need something more solid, convincing, and authoritative than a bunch of online forum chitchat amongst gamers (whose discussion generally hovers around how angry they are that gaming monitors are so expensive).

Where exactly is this "huge fiasco"? Where is some genuine report showing 95% of these panels are defective? Where are some figures about these staggering Asus returns? If you want people to take your claims seriously then you'd better provide some compelling proofs. This is the only cold hard FACT I've seen written here thus far.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Did you even read the thread???? That thread is about the PG279Q, and its actually 23 pages long. EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE who has purchased the PG279Q has received DEFECTIVE panels. Yes, even ME. Go look at the posts where people show pictures of the defects.

As I said before, EVEYONE who has purchased the PG279Q has received these defects.
For a $800 price is is just pathetic.

This is the panel I got from Newegg...and it also has the white to off white color shift issue as well....

Another user....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXUofIXGib4

Another user....

Another user.....

I can keep posting these pics and videos ALL day. As I said EVERYONE is getting these defects. It is NOT the normal "IPS glow"

Nahrga
Level 10
I bought a MG279Q a few days ago, which is what you could call the lower refresh rate and Freesync variant of the PG279Q. It had a dead pixel almost in the middle of the screen and had some severe backlight bleeding as well, so I sent it back for a refund.

I'm not sure how many had issues with their ASUS monitors. However, it does seem like ASUS got a QC problem and they're not doing anything about it. I've heard of theese QC problems for months now and nothing have changed it seems. I'm afraid I have to look to another brand for a Freesync monitor this time 😕

EDIT: On the other hand, as Korth mentioned, you don't really have any cold hard facts on the 95% of the monitors "have moderate to serious light bleeding in the bottom right corner and other areas" and "ALL panels have White color shifts from white to off white across the screen"... And no, you can't say that ASUS doesn't have QC as a fact since it's just an observation you've made yourself. Other than that, I do agree that there is a problem with ASUS' QC to some degree.

Korth
Level 14
Here's a technical analysis of the PG279Q from a site I consider far more authoritative and knowledgeable about display panel technologies than most visitors to the OCN forums. You might be interested in reading what they say in their "Viewing Angles" and "Panel Uniformity" sections. The PG279Q uses an AUO M270Q008 V0 AHVA panel - understand that AHVA is AUO's version of IPS (which they can't call "IPS" because it's trademarked) and it's a different technology with some tradeoffs vs true IPS panels (briefly outlined here and here). I would think it's worth knowing exactly what you're buying before you spend $1000 on a monitor.

PG279Q technical review from PC Perspective, review at HEXUS, review at DigitalVersus, review at DigitalTrends - this monitor is still very new (and expensive) so it hasn't been reviewed by all the major sites yet, but the list goes on and on. The reviews I've read are all very positive and generally confirm this is a superior monitor, although of course they also point out a few minor flaws or issues (including much commentary about screen quality). I haven't found this monitor listed on any takeapart or disassembly sites yet, although these sorts of analysis usually don't examine display panels and instead focus on other technical aspects. PG279Q customer reviews give 4/5 stars at newegg.com and 4.5/5 stars at amazon.com, many complain about all sorts of flaws and problems but most are very pleased.

Yes, I've skimmed through then read and re-read the entire OCN thread. It's filled with people disappointed with imperfections in their costly PG279Q monitors. Here's another angry thread at reddit. They mostly seem angry and opinionated to me, not unbiased and objective - and while I can clearly see some pictures of "bad" monitors, I don't see any compelling proof that 95% of these panels are defective or that Asus does no panel QC testing or that Asus has staggering product returns.

I might buy a PG279Q. I might not. I am conscious of all the anger google spits up from places like OCN. But I won't start banging on my war drum and jump into the mob just because a few people (95% you say?) are seriously unhappy with the units they've purchased.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth,

If you don't think those review sites received "cherry picked" monitors then you are living in a dream world. Us consumers took pics EXACTLY like the one on TFTCENTRAL and we get heavy backlight bleeding while the "cherry picked" monitors the review sites get do not. Again, you are living in a dream world.

Secondly, AHVA and IPS use the EXACT same technology. They are BOTH in-panel switching and exhibit he EXACT same characteristics. As you said yourself AU Optronics has to use a different name due to trademark issues. It's actually quite funny because you contradicted yourself in your post.

Thirdly, you have NO understanding of what that difference between AHVA glow (AKA IPS glow) is vs Backlight Bleeding. AHVA glow produces WHITE glow at VERY SPECIFIC angles. The yellowish glow at nearly ALL angles it due to Backlight Bleeding and this has been know for over a DECADE.
You can try to argue with me but you're going to lose...

Consumer monitor below :

Cherry picked monitor sent to TFTCENTRAL for review below:

Juston Gold wrote:
You can try to argue with me but you're going to lose...

It turns out you were right about this. Just not for the reasons you think.

Consider me withdrawn from this conversation, it's a waste of time.

[/Korth]

Korth
Level 14
AHVA is AOU's IPS-clone technology, it is not true IPS, it has subtle differences in the panel manufacturing process and visual qualities and performance parameters. Datasheets for the AUO M270Q008 V0 AHVA are not yet available online, but comparing datasheets (and direct observations) between other AHVA panels and their IPS counterparts is revealing.

AUO's quality policy adheres to the panel industry's de-facto grading system, and they claim they will never market panels which fall below Grade A quality (if that means anything). I assume Asus purchases their panels directly from AUO under an OEM agreement - and we'll never know the real details - but it seems to me that both companies should be held accountable for any substandard or defective panels which slip through.

Backlight glow/bleeding effects can be partially corrected through runtime firmware. Users willing to disassemble their units (and void warranty) can often fix or reduce observable edge and corner bleed through minor hardware mods.

I think you'll find almost every 120Hz+ IPS monitor on market has similar issues, I can't comment how they might compare to your own.

But I have to ask - if you feel your unit is a defect, why haven't you applied for RMA or exchanged or returned or resold it?

[/Korth]

I just purchased it yesterday yes I will be exchanging mine over and over until I get a panel similar to the one that was shipped to TFTCENTRAL for review. This is totally unacceptable for $800 + tax.

$800 + tax for a monitor demands a TESTED Grade A panel and not have the user play this stupid "Panel Lottery" game. If Asus can't provide this they they should consider lowering the price significantly. People are getting tired of playing the "Panel Lottery" and this is the worst case I have seen.

Korth
Level 14
The PG279Q contains two G-Sync modules, I suspect a substantial part of the retail price pays for NVidia license premiums.

I haven't evaluated the PG279Q firsthand but, to be honest, I rather suspected the overclocked G-Sync components and overdriven panel logic to be the primary points of failure, not the panel itself. I have personally always had good experiences with AUO panels, even when they're installed in cheap junk from Acer, BenQ, or HP - I would expect ROG-branded Asus gear to mount only top-quality panels.

[/Korth]