cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pulling hair out. Pls Help. Boot/Power issues.

jsarver
Level 11
rampage v extreme
16gb corsair dom plat 2666 ram
980ti x2 sli
corsair 1200i psu
raidr pcie ssd

hey guys

really hope someone can help me out here. a few days ago i was browsing the web and my computer instantly shut down and proceeded into a series of restarts. the computer would turn on and all leds will illuminate then it would immediately turn off. it would continue this cycle until i turned off the psu. it turned off so fast that qcodes were not present other then a flash off 00. at no time did i see any blue screens or error popups or notice any performance issues leading up to the shutdown.

i removed the psu and tested it outside of the system and it passed self test. plugged everything back in and it worked fine for a few days. now this morning while playing a non intensive game the computer shut down again and started the continuous boot up and shut down loop.

the computer has been built and stable for about 7 months until this happened. no new changes or bios updates. any previous bios updates where done through the rog connect port via usb thumb drive.

the only thing that seems to temporarily fix the issue is by completely unplugging all cables from the psu, hitting the self test button on the psu, and putting it all back together.

corsair will rma the psu but they think its a surge protection on the board fault. Asus tech support says they think its a gpu issue, and evga isnt sure what to think.
26 REPLIES 26

Qwinn
Level 11
I recommend temporarily disconnecting the reset button connector from the motherboard and seeing if it changes anything. I had a similar issue happen where, basically, the reset button was permanently pressed down, took me 24 hours to figure it out, was going crazy. In your case it'd have to be an intermittent contact with the reset button, maybe something expanding due to heat and making contact. Long shot but easy and free to test.

Hardliner
Level 11
Yes, I am not yet the sharpest tool in the shed when diagnosing PC issues, but with my being 'old skool'--having lived in days of no PC's--it sounds to me like a connection issue somewhere, perhaps even the 24-pin or 8-pin or one of the 4-pin (I am including the EZ_Plug) MOBO power headers intermittently disconnecting with their PSU cable since you can mess with all the cables running from the PSU and it will work for a period of time before becoming faulty again.
¡¡¡ I__ju$₮__₩₳₦₮__₮☮__₱£₳¥__₮h€__₲₳₥€__₩i₮h☮u₮__i₮__hi₵₵u₱i₦₲,__₱l€₳$€ !!!

jsarver
Level 11
i have checked all cables to make sure the connections are solid. i found no issues.

when i mentioned i had to unplug the cables and test the psu to make the pc boot again i only disconnected the cables on the psu side. no where else where connects messed with.

qwinn i have checked the reset switch cables. i see no evidence or shorts or improper contact with other points.

keep the ideas coming guys

jsarver wrote:
i have checked all cables to make sure the connections are solid. i found no issues.

when i mentioned i had to unplug the cables and test the psu to make the pc boot again i only disconnected the cables on the psu side. no where else where connects messed with.

qwinn i have checked the reset switch cables. i see no evidence or shorts or improper contact with other points.

Unfortunately, the other thing that happens when you reconnect everything is that it cools off. You may have a heat related failure of a component or components.

They can be tough to impossible to track down without scopes and probes. I assume you've seen nothing unusual in temps recently or over time? How is your system cooled? Water? Do you have fans on the VRM? Typical temps of your GPUs? Still happen with just one?

jsarver wrote:

In my own experience the issue arose due to the way I put the case cover back over the reset button which on my case is on top, looking at it without the cover on wouldn't have revealed anything. Rather than visually inspecting, I'd suggest the 100% positive test is just temporarily disconnecting the single pin connector from the motherboard where all the other LED's/power switch/etc. plug in and seeing if the problem continues. Heck, the case power button itself might produce a similar result, might try disconnecting both and use the power button on the board to test it.

jsarver
Level 11
hottest gpu temp has been about 78c but thats while things are working...no idea if that spikes when things crash. cpu is about 43 at its hottest core... im really leaning toward the psu just tripping a safety feature at startup or the motherboard is bad somewhere. i dont think it has to do with high heatoutput and swelling of parts either because the first time it happened while browsing the web the computer was only on for a couple minutes max.

jsarver
Level 11
the one other issue i have noticed since this behavior is i have started to get the usb device error stating device descriptor request failed.

Even letting the psu sit with no plug into the wall doesn't work. I literally have to pull all pcie/ sata/ and cpu cables out of the psu and hit the self test before I can get a successful boot.