cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G20AJ - Inseted SSD, advice needed re: setting to boot and recovery please.

nig451964
Level 7
So, thanks for the advice so far people.

After (A LOT) of fiddling around, cursing, re-reading G20 Overhaul thread I have my Samsung 840 EVO installed in pc.

It's recognised in the BIOS and on Windows 10. I created a recovery USB drive using windows recovery however I am unable to make it work.

When I set the BIOS to boot from the recovery USB it fails and goes to next device etc.

1. Is there a way to verify the integrity of the USB recovery drive (is that the right option I mean, to use windows to create one)
2, How do I set the BIOS to boot from the SSD please, I gather I have to disable the secure boot ?

Any help would be appreciated please.
9 REPLIES 9

nig451964
Level 7
OK, having no replies, here is what I have decided to do.
. transferring windows from HDD to ssd was a nightmare, whilst technically possible I don't think its worth the hassle.
I have a licences copy of 7 I am going to pop on the ssd, let it go through the update process eventually onto windows 10.

a100
Level 8
I told you before, you can also install a fresh win 8.1 core single language, after that it will automatically get Genuine since the Windows Key is set on your bios.

a100 wrote:
I told you before, you can also install a fresh win 8.1 core single language, after that it will automatically get Genuine since the Windows Key is set on your bios.

Thank you for your reply. I do not have a copy of windows 8.1 otherwise I would install it? Is there somewhere I can download it legally?

a100
Level 8
Here is the ISO file to download : http://getintopc.com/softwares/operating-systems/windows-8-1-oem-core-single-language-64-bit-downloa...

Here is the link telling you how to use Windows USB/DVD Download Tool, this will turn a USB Flash Drive into a Bootable Windows Installer : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool#installation

Remember that this program will fully format your USB flash drive, Be sure not to have any important data on it.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

a100 wrote:
Here is the ISO file to download : http://getintopc.com/softwares/operating-systems/windows-8-1-oem-core-single-language-64-bit-downloa...

Here is the link telling you how to use Windows USB/DVD Download Tool, this will turn a USB Flash Drive into a Bootable Windows Installer : https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool#installation

Remember that this program will fully format your USB flash drive, Be sure not to have any important data on it.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Hello again thank you for replying, I followed your instructions and downloaded the Windows 8 core, popped it onto a usb stick using the windows installer.

When I boot from the USB stick it asks for a product key before allowing me to progress any further. I tried Belarc advisor to extract existing windows product key which it did but when I put that it in, the window s installation software said a message "unable to verify key" ?. I am using an ethernet connection so hopefully it can get an internet connection ?

Any tips please ?

a100
Level 8
Well I installed that and never had any probs, cant you choose verify key later?

a100 wrote:
Well I installed that and never had any probs, cant you choose verify key later?

Eventually !!! thanks for help !

Sorry to bring up an old post, but I'm planning on adding an 850 Evo in my G20AJ and didn't want to start a new post since its very similar to this. Should I do data migration of my HDD on my SSD, then unplug my HDD when I install the SSD to make it my primary (based on what I read in the fourms)? Or should I redownload windows on my SSD, my only concern with this is will I have to download 8.1 let it get verified then install windows 10 + will that make the drive primary?

Also, whats the least destructive way to install it, so far I've seen from Welsh's video that its to just take off the bracket at the top left and slide it in there after taking only the GPU cage to put in the SATA. Though I hope it doesn't break the case. Any help would be appreciated! 🙂

nig451964
Level 7
Turns out I was using windows 10 key, still failed on 8.1 key extracted with MS help, I have one further trick up my sleeve ...