cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot see NVMe M.2 Samsung Drive in Linux on ASUS G752V

nhasian
Level 7
Hello,

I have finally retired my old ASUS N53JF and replaced it with an ASUS G752V. Before I make any changes to the system I like to create a system image backup with Clonezilla. Unfortunately Clonezilla is not detecting the NVMe Samsung 128G drive. NVMe support has been in the Linux kernel since 3.1 and I've tried with the latest 4.2 kernel and cannot see the device. I even booted from the latest Arch Linux image and was still unable to see the NVMe drive. What do I need to do to be able to access this device in Linux?

I'm guessing it is a bios issue. I noticed in the SATA section in the BIOS it says it is set to RAID but there are no other options to change it to. When i'm booted in linux lsblk does not show the NVMe device at all. lspci shows the sata is set to RAID mode. (I think all RAID settings should be disabled in the bios). If anyone has a solution I'd be happy to hear it. Also be advised I did check and verified I had the latest bios revision number although the date was different.
8 REPLIES 8

ssfan1
Level 7
nhasian wrote:
Hello,

I have finally retired my old ASUS N53JF and replaced it with an ASUS G752V. Before I make any changes to the system I like to create a system image backup with Clonezilla. Unfortunately Clonezilla is not detecting the NVMe Samsung 128G drive. NVMe support has been in the Linux kernel since 3.1 and I've tried with the latest 4.2 kernel and cannot see the device. I even booted from the latest Arch Linux image and was still unable to see the NVMe drive. What do I need to do to be able to access this device in Linux?

I'm guessing it is a bios issue. I noticed in the SATA section in the BIOS it says it is set to RAID but there are no other options to change it to. When i'm booted in linux lsblk does not show the NVMe device at all. lspci shows the sata is set to RAID mode. (I think all RAID settings should be disabled in the bios). If anyone has a solution I'd be happy to hear it. Also be advised I did check and verified I had the latest bios revision number although the date was different.

I 2nd the idea of a Bios issue. The problem lies in the inability to select between Raid and Ahci in the Sata section.

I also agree with it being a BIOS issue. I also noticed the inability to change it out of RAID mode. The 1st tech support guy at Asus also agreed that it should not be in RAID mode and that it is a BIOS issue. The second guy suggested I take it to Geek Squad. I would rather give it to my Grandmother to fix.

What BIOS are you running? Mine came with Version 208 and it seems like most people are on 205. I still have not tried an SSD yet but I can check if I can toggle that section if it helps.

Clintlgm
Level 14
Have you tried Initializing it? Xploited Titan seems to have solve this for the 850 Pro and windows http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?78500-G752VY-RH71-replacing-default-PCIE-SSD-Question&p=555...
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

This still does not help people who don't have an SSD and just want to add one does it?

I think maybe what he has done different was to Initialize the SSD that made it visible? and should work for all?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

I'm facing the same issue here with a ASUS G752VY-DH2.
I found that DELL XPS users face a similar issue, but they can fix this by loading the Linux nvme kernel driver at boot time. See:
http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN299303/en

I have tried this on my G752 without success.
This really seems a BIOS issue.

I also asked the question on Ubuntu forums here:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2307273

Gps3dx
Level 12
This might help...
note... you need to be to have NERVES OF STEEL to do it... perform backups of your current BIOS.... learn how to restore you BIOS from bricked state.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]