Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Black Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by AQUASTEVAE View Post
    it's nice to have a positive thread, among all the negative ones.
    I don't think it's a matter of the forum being negative....it's just that there are a lot of troubleshooting conversations. It does get frustrating to see so many of the same issues come up over and over again, knowing that there's some simple fix Asus could do that would avoid a lot of owners' headaches.

To be fair (not argumentative....but just a counterpoint to what you're saying about your machine ), you DID do a clean install to get it running so well. The vast majority of computer buyers don't know what that is and would be afraid to do it if you told them. And they shouldn't HAVE to. They buy a computer thinking that the out-of-box setup is as perfect as it'll ever be (like driving a new car off the lot). They think everything on it is already updated to the latest & best software. But we know neither of these is a safe assumption. (I don't think Asus EVER updates the original installations, even on models over a year old).

It's a fair criticism that Asus ships laptops with bad, and often unstable, software setups.
    Last edited by BrodyBoy; 12-22-2011 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JRd1st View Post
    Don't forget, aquastevae did a clean install, so his still isn't a "twilight zone" story.
    We think alike! .....I'm just wordier, as usual!

"key is formatting the main hard drive, and doing a fresh load of win 7, WITHOUT the installation disk"

I do this on every system I get, new or used. I never use the install disk it comes with. They usually contain bloatware and/or out of date drivers.

ROG Member Array

I did nothing except updating graphics and getting another virus scan. It's now around 3 month that i got it, and it performs great, i am happy with it (and a bit sad bc only 60 hz display ).
    I do recommend the G74 everyone who wants to play the newest games on high settings. It's good for take away (if you don't have recharging issues) and a more than great desktop replacement.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array AQUASTEVAE PC Specs
    AQUASTEVAE PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Crosshair VI EXTREME
    ProcessorRyzen 7 1700
    Memory (part number)32gb GSkill FlareX 3200mhzC14
    Graphics Card #1GIGABYTE 1080 ti EXTREME
    Monitor55" UHDR 4K TV
    Storage #1SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 NVME 500GB
    Storage #2SAMSUNG 951 M.2 PCIe AHCI 512GB
    CPU CoolerNZXT kRAKEN X62
    CaseCOOLERMASTER MAKER 5T
    Power SupplyCORSAIR RM850X
    Keyboard LOGITECH K850 WIRELESS BACKLIT
    Mouse LOGITECH M570 TRACKBALL WIRELESS
    Headset 2.4GHz Wireless Headphones with Detachable Mic and Rechargeable Battery
    Mouse Pad LOLOLOLOLOLOL....
    Headset/Speakers VIZIO SOUND BAR, SUBWOOFER AND SURROUND SPEAKERS
    OS WIN 10 PRO

Quote Originally Posted by BrodyBoy View Post
    I don't think it's a matter of the forum being negative....it's just that there are a lot of troubleshooting conversations. It does get frustrating to see so many of the same issues come up over and over again, knowing that there's some simple fix Asus could do that would avoid a lot of owners' headaches.

To be fair (not argumentative....but just a counterpoint to what you're saying about your machine ), you DID do a clean install to get it running so well. The vast majority of computer buyers don't know what that is and would be afraid to do it if you told them. And they shouldn't HAVE to. They buy a computer thinking that the out-of-box setup is as perfect as it'll ever be (like driving a new car off the lot). They think everything on it is already updated to the latest & best software. But we know neither of these is a safe assumption. (I don't think Asus EVER updates the original installations, even on models over a year old).

It's a fair criticism that Asus ships laptops with bad, and often unstable, software setups.
    i agree with what you have written, but i have a hardline edge on some of the things you wrote. while i get what you are saying, and agree with most of it, i don't give people a pass as easily as you do. i think that people who buy a technical machine with little to no knowledge of how it works sort of get their just deserves. in this day and age, you should do your homework before buying anything with a sizable price tag on it. if they are unwilling to learn about this machine that can do sooooooo much for them, then they are setting themselves up for problems.
    yes, i agree asus should sell computers that are ready to bang, as soon as you turn it on. but we all know that the reality is different from the dream. you can't walk out onto the LA freeway, and expect not to get run over, and you can't jump into a world of high tech, and expect much of anything without some knowledge, or a DESIRE TO LEARN at the very least. education of anything that you have or do is always going to be key in how successful you manage it.

i hope this isn't taken as being too negative, as that wasn't my intention. instead i want to inspire these people to learn about their machine. knowledge is the kryptonite of fear. the more you learn, the less afraid you will be to try things that can help you go much further than you otherwise would have.
    Last edited by AQUASTEVAE; 12-23-2011 at 03:47 AM.
    CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VI EXTREME - 55-inch UHD 4k Display - AMD Ryzen 7 1700 - NZXT Kraken X62 - 7 CoolerMaster/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 32GB GSkill FlareX 3200Mhz DDR4 - Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Samsung 951 M.2 AHCI 512GB - Samsung EVO 840 1TB SSD - Crucial MX100 SATA 3 500GB SSD - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech K350 wireless wave keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 10 Pro Fall Creators Edition

But computers have become nearly as commonplace as TVs, refrigerators, and iPods. (Or the car that I venture out onto that L.A. freeway in....) This is all high-tech stuff that we expect to just work....in fact, we depend upon it working....without feeling obliged to understand how it works, or how to fix it.

Computers are now sold as working appliances, right next to the microwaves. Heck, my mother uses one and she can't tell a modem from a mouse! The technology has matured past the geek years where everybody who used a computer also read PC World and frequented those little cave-like computer parts stores! (I know....I was there. )

And oh yeah.....have you ever bought a Mac? Computers CAN work right out of the box!

AQUASTEVAE PC Specs
    ProcessorRyzen 7 1700
    Monitor55" UHDR 4K TV
    OS WIN 10 PRO

Quote Originally Posted by BrodyBoy View Post
    But computers have become nearly as commonplace as TVs, refrigerators, and iPods. (Or the car that I venture out onto that L.A. freeway in....) This is all high-tech stuff that we expect to just work....in fact, we depend upon it working....without feeling obliged to understand how it works, or how to fix it.

Computers are now sold as working appliances, right next to the microwaves. Heck, my mother uses one and she can't tell a modem from a mouse! The technology has matured past the geek years where everybody who used a computer also read PC World and frequented those little cave-like computer parts stores! (I know....I was there. )

And oh yeah.....have you ever bought a Mac? Computers CAN work right out of the box!
    i was taught how to work on cars long before I ever had one, or even a license for one. i understand that many people are using computers now'a days, who know nothing about them. all i'm saying is that those people can't ***** about problems if they admittedly haven't bothered to learn anything about the machine they are using, as they cause most of them for that very reason.
    as far as the mac's go, if you call that working...? i personally hate them. much bigger pain in the @#%# than a pc.
    CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VI EXTREME - 55-inch UHD 4k Display - AMD Ryzen 7 1700 - NZXT Kraken X62 - 7 CoolerMaster/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 32GB GSkill FlareX 3200Mhz DDR4 - Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Samsung 951 M.2 AHCI 512GB - Samsung EVO 840 1TB SSD - Crucial MX100 SATA 3 500GB SSD - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech K350 wireless wave keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 10 Pro Fall Creators Edition

ROG Enthusiast Array

The drivers issue comes with all asus notebooks or just rog ones??
    Cause im not seeing my mother buying a laptop that said "Republic of Gamer" hehe. I also think that i don´t know, maybe the 80-90% who buy a ROG one, know how to update a driver.
    One of my friends of university has a i7 imac 27 inches, sometimes we do some video editing in there, the monitor is gorgeous, but the hardware on it isn´t quite good for what he paid for. For the money he waste i prefer to make a super windows pc hehe, i paid 50% less in the g74 and i have better performance.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array JRd1st's Avatar

I'm not positive, but I'd think that all Asus notebooks have poor driver support. Its a shame because Asus Update could be so useful, if only to tell you there's an update available for your notebook.
    Read the User's Manual for more info.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
    Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
    LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
    Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
    Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

AQUASTEVAE PC Specs
    ProcessorRyzen 7 1700
    Monitor55" UHDR 4K TV
    OS WIN 10 PRO

Quote Originally Posted by JRd1st View Post
    I'm not positive, but I'd think that all Asus notebooks have poor driver support. Its a shame because Asus Update could be so useful, if only to tell you there's an update available for your notebook.
    agreed!!! too bad they just aren't willing to put the time and energy into doing the right thing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast