cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request for aid: my DIY build works(!) except fan controls and network driver. :(

vpiercy
Level 7
Hi,

I just built a Maximus VIII Ranger with Phanteks Evoo Pro case. The front panel placement of wires for the i/o connector probably caused the most trouble because I had two "pwr +" wires on the Phanteks case and really didn't know how to place two wires labeled "+" with no "-" wire paired with the "+". Every clear diagram I saw online had a "+" and a "-" "pwr" wire, singletons at that. So I may have got that wrong.

I powered on the board. Everything seemed fine. All the fans work. The video card works. The CPU and RAM are identified correctly in the AMIBIOS (ACPI BIOS Revision 0401). I was able to get into the UEFI bios software.

But, 1) the network cable wouldn't work. When I went into Windows, the OS said there was no network driver. I'm a little stumped on that one.

2) I got the following message on the AMIBIOS opening screen:

CPU Fan Speed error detected. Ensure that the CPU fan is properly installed on the CPU-FAN header or adjust/disable the Fan Speed Low Limit option [in] the UEFI BIOS.
Press F1 to Run SETUP.

So, I'll check the motherboard to be sure I have the CPU fan properly installed. I'm using the Phanteks pwm hub for the fans and maybe that's the problem.

Any advice or links to videos or diagrams that shed any light on these problems would be most appreciated.

Thank you!
3 REPLIES 3

Chino
Level 15
1. Install the LAN driver. Get it off the support page or use the one that comes in the DVD.

2. Your fan probably spins too low. Try using a lower value for the CPU Fan Speed Low Limit option.

Menthol
Level 14
It may be the fan hub, you may have to connect a single fan directly to the CPU header on the motherboard, or change fan to ignore in the monitor section of the bios

It's not a full-blown fix, but it's a practical fix. See Youtube: "How to: Fix Asus Maximus VI Hero / Realtek sound problem using Jack for Windows." This is Peter Ginneberge's channel. He does a lot with audio production and noticed how the Windows version of the program "Jack" (a sound server I'm familiar with from Ubuntu 9.04) to keep the Asus motherboard from disconnecting everytime a sound is produced and stopped. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZyvOUdbUqY

He also links to his thread on this forum: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?35434-Maximus-VI-Hero-sound-problem/. With good suggestions about checking wire integrity on the motherboard if you have this popping problem.

I know this stuff is already here on the forum, available online, but I found this thread with the OP, before I found Peter's channel on Youtube and before I found his informative thread here on this forum. So I figure for archival and research purposes of other users, this may be an acceptable "cookie trail" in the forum.