cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximus VIII Hero boot issues

Maalur
Level 7
Im sorry for my bad English but this is my last try. After that I send the mobo back to Asus (if its the mobo).

So I orderd a PC for about 2500$.
This contains:

Intel Core I7 6700K
Asus Maximus VIII Hero
Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 ti
Ekwb Predator 240
BeQuiet Straight Power 10 Cm
Samsung SSD 850 EVO
Windows 10
NZXT H440 Black/Green
HyperX 2x8GB 2666
WD Green 3TB

Last Friday I started to build it.
First I installed the PSU and the Drives. Then I mounted the backplate of the predator 240 to the mobo. After that I installed the Predator in the case. At this point the first fault happened. My sister was helping me to install the Predator. The cooper block was yer not mounted. My sister turned the case on the side and the cooper block felt on the mobo. After that we onstalled the rest. Then the second fault happened. I installed the radiator of the predator (BTW its my first build) at the top so I could not see the power connection for the cpu and forget to connect it. After some hours of trying I then replaced the radiator to the front and i connected the 8pin power for the cpu. The PC bootet normal and I installed windows on my ssd. Also I runned the Asus pc optimization programm Dual Intelligent Processors 5 and made the 5-Way optimization. This overclocked my cpu to 10% (I dont know how much this actually is but every time the pc booted,there was a message 10% overclocking). The Programm testet also 12% and reached 78 degrees. After that I rebooted the pc. I installed a few more programs like steam, uplay, teamspeak, chrome... And Guild wars 2. Then I configuerd the pc and wanted to start Guild wars 2. After the game loaded I played 20 seconds and then changed maps after that I clicked out of the game and did some more configurations (I dont know if the game was the problem). But when I clicked back in the pc shuts down and wont reboot. On the Asus board is a code which shows some information. This code is like the beeping in other Mainboards. I cleared my cmos once but nothing happend (BTW the code is always 00 what means "not in use") then I pressed the clr_cmos button about 5 seconds and it worked. It showed some normal codes. After 10 seconds of booting it died. I tryed some more times to clear the cmos. I took also the battery out. Now I tried to remove all the components. At the moment the only things connected to the Mainboard are the cpu and the predator. But still no error code that theres no ram. It shows still 00. And sometimes it dies after 10 seconds and restarts at the same moment. But some times it also just runs in that undefined state. And sometimes when I press the start button on the mobo not even the fans or leds turns on.

So thats my history XD hope someone is reading this to the end. Oh and I also do not have any measure devices and I need the pc.
17 REPLIES 17

Nate152
Hello Maluur

Welcome to the ROG forum.

It sounds like your cpu could be overheating as to why it's shutting down, are you able to stay in the bios long enough to read the cpu temperature?

Those water blocks aren't light and falling on the motherboard is not a good thing but you may have got lucky and no damage was done. Let's hope it's the cpu temp which would indicate a faulty mount or the pump is not running/working.

Tell us your cpu temps please.

If it's not a temperature problem try updating the bios it can help with code 00 sometimes, if that doesn't help then you may have failure with your psu, cpu or mobo.

Nate152
Sorry about that I see you say you are getting no code from the motherboard now?

If no led code from the motherboard that says one of two things a bad board or a bad psu.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello Maluur

Welcome to the ROG forum.

It sounds like your cpu could be overheating as to why it's shutting down, are you able to stay in the bios long enough to read the cpu temperature?

Those water blocks aren't light and falling on the motherboard is not a good thing but you may have got lucky and no damage was done. Let's hope it's the cpu temp which would indicate a faulty mount or the pump is not running/working.

Tell us your cpu temps please.

If it's not a temperature problem try updating the bios it can help with code 00 sometimes, if that doesn't help then you may have failure with your psu, cpu or mobo.

The Mainboard does not boot and I can't enter the bios it just does nothing else than running pump and fans and leds. HDs are also not spinning. Back when I installed windows on it the cpu temp was about 40 degrees and after overclocking in Strestest about 70 degrees highest was 78 in stress test.

Nate152
Ok thank you your temps are fine.

So the next thing to try is clearing the cmos and you've done that. The next thing to try is a bios update.

Here is a guide you can follow if you're not familiar with it. You must have a flash drive formatted to FAT.32 and rename the bios file to M8H.CAP

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1142-How-to-use-ASUS-ROG-USB-BIOS-Flashback

Nate152 wrote:
Ok thank you your temps are fine.

So the next thing to try is clearing the cmos and you've done that. The next thing to try is a bios update.

Here is a guide you can follow if you're not familiar with it. You must have a flash drive formatted to FAT.32 and rename the bios file to M8H.CAP

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?1142-How-to-use-ASUS-ROG-USB-BIOS-Flashback

Is this also working with an external hard drive? I do not have a USB at the moment.

Nate152
A drive doesn't need to be installed to update the bios all you need is power from the psu. If other components are connected that's ok.

You will need a usb flash drive to perform the update procedure. We have to do this before we start looking at hardware.

"I ment if its ok to take an external harddrive for the bios img and not an usb.
Or do you mean its not going to work?"

Nate152
You have to use a usb flash drive formatted to FAT32. Something similar to this do you have one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Frustration-Free-Packaging--SDCZ36-032G-AFFP/dp/B007JR532M/ref=...

We really should try this that way we know it's in good shape there.

I found one.

I updated my BIOS (i think it worked) but still the same except that the system is not randomly rebooting.
I took the second newest because the newest is a beta. Should I try the beta one or is it maybe a cpu problem?