cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asmedia USB Host Controller Was Not Found

rogdroyd
Level 7

Hey guys. I seem to have a weird issue with the Asmedia USB Host Controller. I decided to do a clean install of the latest Windows 10 build (10586). I've been a Windows Insider, so I've installed and reinstalled windows 10 countless times. Each and every time, I install the latest Intel Chipset Drivers from the Rampage V drivers sections. Then I go ahead and install the Asmedia_USB 3 - 3.1 (Win7-8-8-10_V116240_V116261) drivers. Each and every time, they would install with zero issue. I've been on the 1701 bios since it was released. I reinstalled windows countless times, no issues with asmedia ever.

Today I decided to clean install and get out of the insider program for a while. When I go to install the Asmedia USB 3 drivers I get an error saying that my Asmedia USB host controller cannot be found. ?? The ports seem to work with the Intel USB 3 controller drivers but asmedia controller is nowhere to be found.. I decided to move around my keyboard and mouse and disconnect everything else plugged into usb. It worked! The drivers installed exactly like they always had. No issues with the Asmedia Controller, it found it. Another minute later, my keyboard disconnects/reconnects and the Intel drivers are back in the device manager, Asmedia is now gone from the device manager.

I guess my question is, do you guys think I have a faulty MB/faulty USB3 controller now? I re-flashed the 1701 bios.. Secure erased my SSD and reinstalled Windows 2x in the last 4 hours. I figured maybe the bios got corrupted or something. Nothing seems to work. It only worked once when I was playing with the peripherals.. IMO it seems like a power issue.. I had the same issue with my Maximus a few years back and I never got it replaced. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Looks like I have 2 dead USB3 ports next to my ethernet port. The other 8 USB3 ports are working. My mistake but that doesnt sound like good news. 😧
18 REPLIES 18

Szaquak
Level 7
Unfortunately, this is an evident failure. In my case USB ports ASMEDIA suddenly disappear. After CMOS reset they come back but not for very long. After some time they are gone again. I do not connect anything to them because it doesn't make any sense. I use a USB HUB in order not to have a USB deficit. Sometimes the ports appear themselves again without BIOS reset. I checked launching USB HDD, it is not the fault of Windows and its drivers because ports are not active even at the BIOS level. ASUS SHOULD have a closer look to this, because it's not only my and your problem. There have already been topics about it and nothing is happening 😞

Szaquak wrote:
Unfortunately, this is an evident failure. In my case USB ports ASMEDIA suddenly disappear. After CMOS reset they come back but not for very long. After some time they are gone again. I do not connect anything to them because it doesn't make any sense. I use a USB HUB in order not to have a USB deficit. Sometimes the ports appear themselves again without BIOS reset. I checked launching USB HDD, it is not the fault of Windows and its drivers because ports are not active even at the BIOS level. ASUS SHOULD have a closer look to this, because it's not only my and your problem. There have already been topics about it and nothing is happening 😞

Hmm.. I think we may be talking about two different problems. Unfortunately, I know exactly what you mean because I had my ports die on me and come back with my Maximus Board. But my problem is not the ports dying, its that the ASUS driver cannot find the Asmedia USB host controller but the USB still works. But I think I might have solved the problem.

Somebody on OCN said to let windows to the driver update .. I did another clean install and let Windows Update install all of the drivers. Now the asmedia host conrtoller is showing on my device manager with an October driver. I didnt install the driver from the asus site.. Maybe that has issues with the latest Win10 Build? IDK. But I hope this doesnt drop like you said. 😛

rogdroyd wrote:
Hmm.. I think we may be talking about two different problems. Unfortunately, I know exactly what you mean because I had my ports die on me and come back with my Maximus Board. But my problem is not the ports dying, its that the ASUS driver cannot find the Asmedia USB host controller but the USB still works. But I think I might have solved the problem.

I think You have got exactly the same problem like me. My mouse and keyboard ports (near PS2 port) are working too. Only ASMedia USB ports near LAN ports don't work. For this ports is responsible Asmedia USB Host Controller. My controler has got installed drivers in Windows, but sometimes it disables himself. When it is disabled You can't install drivers - just like in Your case. Look at the Windows Driver Manager. When I show hiden devices:

Szaquak wrote:
I think You have got exactly the same problem like me. My mouse and keyboard ports (near PS2 port) are working too. Only ASMedia USB ports near LAN ports don't work. For this ports is responsible Asmedia USB Host Controller. My controler has got installed drivers in Windows, but sometimes it disables himself. When it is disabled You can't install drivers - just like in Your case. Look at the Windows Driver Manager. When I show hiden devices:

You are right! The 2 ports next to my lan didnt work. The 8 ports above the LAN never had an issue, the 2 ports near the lan were totally dead when I tried them the other day after we chatted.. The problem I thought you were describing sounded like a problem I had with my other ASUS board. 😕 I didnt even realize this problem until I clean installed.. I never used those USB ports ever..

After I did another clean install and let windows install the driver it worked and found the controller.. I've been checking on and off and I did notice one time that the device was not listed.. I restarted and it reappeared. So my problem is not fixed like you said and you were right.

There is an option in the MB to shut it off.. What harm will it do besides turning off those two ports near the lan? I think I might just turn them off. Or it makes me wonder if I should do an RMA.. Im just worried that the problem will happen again.

Hopper64
Level 15
I have the same problem too.
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

Korth
Level 14
A new stable Win10 version of the ASM1142 ASMedia 3.1 USB XCHI 1.1 USB driver is available - 1.16.24.0 02/12/2015.

You can download a whole pile of ASMedia drivers directly from the ASMedia driver download site. These are the people who write ASMedia drivers (regardless of motherboard manufacturer), you will not find anything newer anywhere else, and Asus is often delinquent about keeping their support pages updated with the latest drivers. Even if you cannot find a working ASMedia here now, this is the site where it will appear first.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth
Level 14
The Windows Device Manager doesn't always show correct devices. If the wrong device driver is installed it can identify itself as the wrong device, this is especially true with enumerated USB hubs and functions.

Your ASMedia controller is powering itself down for some reason. I don't know why, I assume you haven't installed your Rampage V Extreme into a laptop, lol. It might power itself on again when it senses a connected USB device.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
The Windows Device Manager doesn't always show correct devices. If the wrong device driver is installed it can identify itself as the wrong device, this is especially true with enumerated USB hubs and functions.

Your ASMedia controller is powering itself down for some reason. I don't know why, I assume you haven't installed your Rampage V Extreme into a laptop, lol. It might power itself on again when it senses a connected USB device.

It doesnt come back on when I plug in a USB device, when its not showing in device manager.. Right now, Im showing the same as Szaquak and an SD card is working. I've checked the device manager about 30x since my last install on Sunday.. It wasnt there one time.. It reappeared after a restart and has been fine since. . Im puzzled.

Szaquak
Level 7
In my case they are back (power on) randomly. Most frequently whn I power on PC after night rest. (but rarely - 1/20 starts maybe less) They come back after clear CMOS, sometimes after plug off power cable from PSU. I cat't find 100% key to turn on back ASMedia 3.0 USB ports 😞 It is definitly ASUS issue !
@Korth

Read again what You have written, and again, and again and again and consider what are You talking about. LOL