cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions for G751J gaming laptop

Headgas
Level 7
Alright so I have a few things to ask about. First how do I get the num lock button to work so I can use the number pad? What all can I do to get more performance out of it. I turned on all 8 cores and did the performance setting in the battery. But I didn't notice a difference from 1 core to 8. I thought that was weird. Also it's been running slow and I've only had it like a month or so. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9

bhaviljain68
Level 7
First things first. Performance is subjective.
Also a little more details would be appreciated, like the specs of your system, what exactly makes you feel that the system is running slow? what tasks do you perform on your system, have you upgraded to windows 10? etc...that being said.

- Numlock : FN + Home Key (You could see 'num lk' written under 'home')

- As for performance.. I highly doubt you need to juice out more performance out of it I've been playing the latest games on this rig for the past one year (I have a JY i.e. i7-4710, 24GB Ram, GTX 980 and has a SSD+HDD combo) .

- Also you can never get good performance on battery, its just not built that way, for max performance always be on AC power, dont worry about over charging as there's a provision for not charging the battery once its full.

- You could probably reduce the amount of Apps/Software that run on boot up using task manager-> Startup items. do a full virus/malware scan to make sure there is nothing affecting your system. if that doesn't solve things consider doing a system refresh. And the last resort is a clean OS installation using DVD/USB.

Hope this clears a few things for you. 🙂

thetanaz
Level 7
The GPU can't run properly on battery because of the lack of wattage provided by the power supply when plugged in.You can not play triple a titles on battery but you can certainly play something light like LOL or other older games.

Headgas
Level 7
Why would they make a power supply that would affect the computer negatively?

Headgas wrote:

Its not that they willingly make a power supply that affects the computer negatively, If i'm not wrong, the world is yet to see a battery that could support such wattage supply that can support the need of a high end GPU. I'm not sure if such a device is made or not, and even if it is made its yet to see a commercial application or a wide commercial acceptance.

As our friend thetanaz here mentioned, you can probably play older games without lag but to play the latest games you need to be on AC supply as they are graphic intensive and can really tax the GPU and hence the GPU need the required amount of power supply. I once accidentally started playing madmax on battery(High performance profile). it didn't lag but it capped itself at 30 fps and wouldn't go beyond it and to be honest that was the 1st time I actually understood the performance difference between 30 and 60 FPS 😛

Headgas wrote:

Its not that they willingly make a power supply that affects the computer negatively, If i'm not wrong, the world is yet to see a battery that could support such wattage supply that can support the need of a high end GPU. I'm not sure if such a device is made or not, and even if it is made its yet to see a commercial application or a wide commercial acceptance.

As our friend thetanaz here mentioned, you can probably play older games without lag but to play the latest games you need to be on AC supply as they are graphic intensive and can really tax the GPU and hence the GPU need the required amount of power supply. I once accidentally started playing madmax on battery(High performance profile). it didn't lag but it capped itself at 30 fps and wouldn't go beyond it and to be honest that was the 1st time I actually understood the performance difference between 30 and 60 FPS 😛

Headgas
Level 7
Well I play newer games just fine

Headgas
Level 7
G751JL: i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
8GB Ram
1TB HDD
GTX 965
Came with Windows 10. It's just sometimes I turn it on and everything is slow. Everything. And I just want that to stop. I have had virus software since day one and run it regularly. I play guild wars 2 and ARK on it

Headgas
Level 7
Also, I haven't noticed a difference gaming on battery or charging.

Headgas
Level 7
Does any of that info help?