cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot boot to Windows 10

JOSHSKORN
Level 7
My computer was working just fine, until I decided to do a Restart today. Now, when I boot up, I see the BIOS screen, the Windows 10 logo, then the computer goes to that black screen. After that, the computer will reboot itself, and the process will repeat.

I cannot get into Safe Mode to try to access the last known good configuration. It's been well documented that pressing F8 launches the boot device menu from the BIOS.

Any advice on how to get to Safe Mode, or how can I go about fixing the problem? Is there a way I can stick in a USB and use it to boot to and access Safe Mode? Which ever works, I'm fine with.
5 REPLIES 5

Chino wrote:
Try clearing your CMOS.

I did that. No change. I don't know how it would be related, anyhow. I had a problem about a month ago where I could not access my BIOS and doing just this solved the problem by using the CLR CMOS button on the back of my computer. Tried this again tonight for my current problem and like I said, no change. Still can't complete booting, still reboots 30 seconds or so after showing the Windows 10 logo.

I realize this isn't a Windows 10 forum, but if I can figure out how to get to Safe Mode, I MIGHT just be able to fix the problem. This is just a guess.

JOSHSKORN wrote:
I did that. No change. I don't know how it would be related, anyhow.

To discard it being a error caused by improper BIOS settings. Now that we know it's a problem with your Windows installation. Proceed to boot into recovery mode using the W10 CD or in your case the USB pendrive that you used to install Windows.

Chino wrote:
To discard it being a error caused by improper BIOS settings. Now that we know it's a problem with your Windows installation. Proceed to boot into recovery mode using the W10 CD or in your case the USB pendrive that you used to install Windows.

I'm doing that as we speak.

I'll ask again, but is there any way to Safe Boot and choose Last Known Good Configuration? I've tried F8, F5, F7, F11, SHIFT+F8, nothing seems tow ork. Was such feature done away with after Windows 7? That would be a shame if it were true.

EDIT: I guess Last Known Good Configuration does not exist in Windows 10, and my only option is recovering from a USB. I'll try that. Thanks.

JOSHSKORN wrote:

EDIT: I guess Last Known Good Configuration does not exist in Windows 10, and my only option is recovering from a USB. I'll try that. Thanks.

That's correct.

Windows 7 was the last OS that had that option. Microsoft removed it from Windows 8 and going forward.