cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VII Hero freezes at Windows logo.

yousts
Level 7
Hi!
I,ve got Maximus VII Hero, i5-4690K and sata HDD. It freezing when starting up at the windows logo. The same problem when I triyng to install Windows 7 or 10 from usb flash drive.
Windows 7 (64 bit). Bios 2902, older 2801 also used.
All MS-DOS based tests as ram, stress test successfully completed.
After freezing motherboard shows QR Code А0.
Thanks!
16 REPLIES 16

thomas_yiu
Level 9
Did you did any overclocking? Reboot system, and try to load optimized default settings in BIOS, and run windows again.
What memory did you have? DDR3? Sometimes I know some people have to manually set the memory to have no freeze in Windows.
Sincerely,
TY

Thanks for reply! There is no any overclocking. I tried default settings in BIOS of course but the problem was the same. Memory what I have is Kingston 9905471-006.A00LF DDR3-1333 2x4Gb tryed either one, or both in different memory slots. Memory frequency in BIOS is right 1333. It seems incredible, but it may be my PSU Chieftec 450W enough for mobo and cpu only?

Nate152
Hello yousts

I see your psu has one 6-pin pcie power cable. What gpu do you have or are you using the iGPU on the cpu?

I've tried iGPU on the cpu without any discrete gpu on mobo and my 650Ti with 6-pin power cable, it's no difference. I've psu Chieftec APS-450S 450W.

KotTHECat
Level 10
Same here, bro!
The only BIOS, that hasnt this issue (for me) is 2201. Newer BIOSes causing those freezes randomly...
I thought it's because of OCZ Vertex 3 Sandforce controller...

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?58033-New-MAXIMUS-VII-HERO-BIOS-2304-issue
Intel Core i7 6700K, ASUS Maximus VIII Hero, ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Kingston 2x8GB HX426C15FBK2/16, Corsair MP510 960GB, Toshiba X300 4TB, XFX Pro 750W, Windows 10 Pro

Nate152
Ok

You could try another bios version as KotTHECat suggests, if that doesn't help you could try a complete reinstall of windows and the latest drivers.

Do you have any yellow triangles in device manager?

thomas_yiu
Level 9
Agreed.
1) Please use 2201 BIOS version, because if you installed Windows with 2201. If you update your BIOS, the BIOS changed some features and WIndows will not like it and freeze.
Sincerely,
TY

Just tried newest version 3003 - without result...
I can't reinstall windows because during installing Windows 7 or 10 from usb flash drive I get some freeze.
Where to find 2201 BIOS? I can't see it at asus support site. Can you please attach file if you have it. Thanks!