cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System freezes

kahless
Level 7
Hello,

I just recently built a new system. Been overclocking and its almost completely stable but I get a system freeze on occasion. No BSOD but a freeze. I am a novice overclocker but I understand system freezes are generally RAM related? Anyways here are my system specs:
Asus X99 Deluxe
5930K@4.6ghz Vcore +.050 offset, 1.3 overclock voltage=1.35volts
Corsair H110i GTX
32gb Trident Z 3200mhz
Corsair Carbide 540D
Corsair Ax1500i
EVGA Titan X SLI

Ram is at default timings 16-18-18-38 2T, I have been steadily increasing Ram voltage to try to stop the system freeze, right now it is at 1.38 volts

CPU input voltage is on Auto but reads in the BIOS as 1.904.

I pass stress tests, benchmarks, and game a lot and my temps are great. The only time I get a freeze is if I am at the desktop, watching a video, surfing. Its always doing low CPU usage idle type things. I can game for hours on end with no stability issues. I am only a gamer so that is about as hard as my system gets pushed on a regular basis. No folding, rendering, encoding, etc.

Any suggestions on the freezing issue? Somebody in the Gskill forums said I need to take System Agent Voltage off Auto and enter a value into that. Is that also called VCSSA?
9 REPLIES 9

Nate152
Hello kahless

Yes the cpu system agent voltage is the same as VCCSA, 32GB of 3200Mhz ram will most likely require some tweaking to get it fully stable, it's strange you can pass a stress test and get freezing at the desktop.

Try VCCSA/cpu system agent voltage at 1.15v and if it still freezes increase it .01v testing each time up to 1.25v if needed. You may need to increase the VCCIO voltage as well to 1.15v - 1.20v.

kahless
Level 7
Thanks for the reply.

My thought was, having it on Auto increased the System Agent Voltage appropriately under load to keep things stable. But doing something that barely makes the CPU work like surfing or watching a video the System Agent Voltage wasn't ramping up enough to support the memory. Does that make any sense?

Nate152
yes it does, being on auto it will likely fluctuate where as you set it manually it will stay at what you set.

kahless
Level 7
Hey I had removed Ai Suite III a few days ago, now I am trying to put it back on. For some reason it won't launch after having installed it. I tried removing it, and installing it several times but I get this same error message just before it opens "access violation at address 10000003 in module
'ASACPI.DLL'. Write of address 00000000.

kahless
Level 7
Thanks it worked.

Nate152
Good to hear, how is the freezing problem?

Did you get it solved with vccio and cpu system agent voltage or was ai suite causing it?

kahless
Level 7
I scaled my ram overclock back to 2400 to spend some more time verifying that my CPU overclock is stable. I am fairly certain it is but I just want to make sure. Its a time consuming stress test since I can't reproduce freezes with stress test programs. Its only happened at the desktop.

Earlier in the week I thought Ai Suite was causing the issue, it causes me similar issues on my previous X79 system. Removed Ai Suite and it fixed my issue. That wasn't the case this time. Will try increasing my ram gradually later in the week. Probably 2666.

Nate152
Ok

Yeah that's a good idea, lowering the ram speed should confirm if it's the ram causing the freezing which I'm leaning towards. You have plenty of power so it's not that.

Please report back after further testing. 🙂