cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Status: "97% plugged in, not charging" versus "100% fully charged"

OwTee
Level 7
Hi Guys,

I understand that there are some existing threads related to 751 battery. However, I find some of the contents and latest posts lacks confirmation and closure. Please correct me as necessary and appreciate if you can provide me better link or clarifications related to subject.

This thread was created to have a better understanding of both status for those who experienced/are experiencing them.

Here goes my concern:

At the early weeks usage of my laptop ROG 751JY-72DB, I was seeing "97% percent, not charging" status at my battery icon when power is plugged in.

I have taken it positively as I am guessing it's a system design to protect the battery life (which is also an info from some related posts here).

Few more weeks later, the battery icon now shows "fully charged 100%".

I am wondering why it does not say anymore the "not charging" status?

I tried to use it in battery making the status drop to 95% and charge it, it goes back to fully charge 100%.

The only settings I recall being changed is when will the display screen turns off.

Technical concern has been raised to ASUS last NOV 22 and response should be available in few hours.

Will let you know of the outcome.

Hope you can help me.

TIA!

OwTee
2 REPLIES 2

Korth
Level 14
Apparently the charging circuitry doesn't activate until the battery falls below a certain threshold (like 95%), then it doesn't turn off until the battery is fully (100%) charged.

This isn't an uncommon feature. It could be designed that way to help battery longevity (because battery chemistry and charge capacity erode away after repeated discharge/charge cycles and because overcharging the battery reduces longevity) and to keep heat down (because the charger and battery put out a lot more heat while simultaneously charging and discharging).
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Hi Guys,

First of all, I am informing you that ASUS Tech Chat support is better than e-mail. Haha...

There is an ASUS FAQ link below providing explanation of the "not charging" status.

http://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1003960/

With the help from ASUS tech, they instructed me to reinstall the battery driver (microsoft ACPI - compliant control method battery) but nothing happened.

Then we did also a BIOS update which we found outdated. During the process, I used my battery so the charge went down to 95% but few minutes later I am still getting the "100% fully charged status".

I decided to drain my battery and when I reached the 96%, the "not charging" status was back!

It's not that bad to have the 100% fully charged status but of course the "not charging" will help your battery live longer.

That's all folks!

Cheers.