cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New card asus 980ti strix

grassy
Level 12
Just installed the card and noticed that my bus interface reads different to what is enabled in my bios. I have checked my card install and it seems fine. The first game i tried was Assassins creed black flag and at stock settings and i get game stutter. Is there a way i should be setting this card up and to i need to update my bios.
FAME IS A MASK THAT EATS INTO THE FACE
38 REPLIES 38

Nate152
Hi grassy

Looking at this chart for your 3960x, Expansion Options, PCI Express Revision it shows 2.0 but even so you shouldn't be getting stuttering in your games. I see you have 3 monitors listed in your specs, are you running 3 monitors in surround? If you are try using just 1 monitor and see how games play.

http://ark.intel.com/products/63696/Intel-Core-i7-3960X-Processor-Extreme-Edition-15M-Cache-up-to-3_...

grassy
Level 12
Hi Nate, i am using the one monitor which is the Dell u3011 with the resolution of 2560x1600.

Korth
Level 14
How are your CPU and GPU temps while fps stutters?

How much RAM is installed on those systems?
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
How are your CPU and GPU temps while fps stutters?

How much RAM is installed on those systems?
Thanks Korth,They are not too bad but i think its time for a change.I am using 16 gig of ram but i think i need to cool things down a tad more. Better water cooling is on my mind.

Nate152
Although Assassins creed 4 black flag is visually spectacular it's using the old Anvil game engine which doesn't use all the horsepower on modern day pc's. The engine is primarily programmed for last generation consoles which hardware is below any standards of pc gamers today. The optimization for pc is not something developers had in mind when making the game.

Because AC4BF was made for the previous generation of consoles Ubisoft decided that making a new or improving the old engine was just not worth their time or money which is why you most likely are experiencing stutter.

Maybe test with another game.

grassy
Level 12
Gpu runs at 60 degrees. I have fixed the bus issue by installing "force enable gen 3" . I have reduced all my game setting to low and still get stutter.

Nate152
I was going to suggest that but seeing how the 3960x is pcie 2.0 I didn't think that would work. 😄

Do you have another game to try?

Nate152 wrote:
I was going to suggest that but seeing how the 3960x is pcie 2.0 I didn't think that would work. 😄

Do you have another game to try?
Thanks Nate,Yep Unity runs fine maxed out with a tiny hint of stutter, but its a lot better than black flag so i guess you hit the nail on the head. I think i now need to look into a more suitable cooling solution and change from the swiftech 220 to something which can keep my pc a lot cooler.Summer is here again in OZ.

Nate152
Your gpu temp is fine and with the swiftech 220 your cpu temps should be fine too, post your cpu temps for us.

In the Nvidia control panel under "manage 3d settings" try setting it up like this and see if it's any better.

Ambient occlusion - Quality
Anisotropic filtering - application controlled
Antialiasing FXAA - OFF
Antialiasing gamma correction - ON
Antialiasing mode - application controlled
Antialiasing setting - application controlled
Antialiasing transparency - OFF
CUDA gpu's - ALL
DSR factors - OFF
DSR smoothness - OFF
Maximum pre rendered frames - 3
Multi display/mixed gpu acceleration - single display performance mode
power management mode - prefer maximum performance
Shader cache - ON
Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample options - OFF
Texture filtering - negative LOD bias - Allow
Texture filter quality - high quality
Texture filtering trilinear optimization - ON
Threaded optimization - ON
Triple buffering - OFF
Vertical sync - application controlled (in the game settings turn this on)
virtual reality pre rendered frames - 1

If there are any settings in the game for pre rendered frames turn them off, turn off antialiasing in the game settings too.

How does your game play now?