Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by mentalvideo View Post
    1. Did you buy this exact one from this amazon seller specifically?
    2. Did you use the Samsung data migration software? (if not which did you use)
    3. Does the GL752 come with a screw to secure it to the mother board? The Samsung SSD does not come with one.

Check this thread out

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...s-How-I-Did-It

There's a post of mine supporting this steps for the 752 also. I have successfully installed the 850 EVO SATA III 256GB on my GL752VW without any major issue. Someone should make a sticky given the fact this topic is going to be asked really frequently

Ps: no, neither the laptop or the SSD come with the screw. You will need to find one. I took it from my old VAIO, it's a popular screw on electronics
    Last edited by nandodean; 12-31-2015 at 10:04 AM.

New ROGer Array

I got the same laptop as you guys, this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01..._8PSmwbSJ7G415

No Im so angry that I got it it's pretty slow and it boots in more than 1 minute, and the screen is so so bad, I still didnt get any ssd for this beecause Im not sure it s really worth it I read somewhere that someone has integrated ssd and it still was slow.

Guys Please share your experiences with SSD and this Horrible ROG GL752.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array Julskey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by izmouad View Post
    I got the same laptop as you guys, this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01..._8PSmwbSJ7G415

No Im so angry that I got it it's pretty slow and it boots in more than 1 minute, and the screen is so so bad, I still didnt get any ssd for this beecause Im not sure it s really worth it I read somewhere that someone has integrated ssd and it still was slow.

Guys Please share your experiences with SSD and this Horrible ROG GL752.
    Well if you like, you can install a 2.5" ssd in place of your hdd. I have a G751, I replaced my 1TB hdd with a 250GB Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" ssd. What I did was connected the ssd using sata to usb, installed Samsung magician and migrated os to the ssd. Then replaced the hdd with the ssd. You can then install the hdd in an external hdd case, or if you have a secondary bay, then all is well. My boot time with the Samsung 840 evo is about 17 sec from pressing power button to windows desktop. Happy New Year.
    Last edited by Julskey; 12-31-2015 at 05:05 PM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by mentalvideo View Post
    1. Did you buy this exact one from this amazon seller specifically?
    2. Did you use the Samsung data migration software? (if not which did you use)
    3. Does the GL752 come with a screw to secure it to the mother board? The Samsung SSD does not come with one.

1. I purchased the US model from Microcenter
    2. I did not use Samsung Magician. Instead I used Easus TODO (Free edition)
    3. There was no screw included. I purchased this set from Fry's to get hold of the M2 3mm screw.

http://www.frys.com/product/7229923?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

ROG Member Array

I just had a very interesting phone call with Asus, my ticket is N1512101227 for anyone officially affiliated with Asus to verify. I spoke to a nice gentleman named Marcel who put me on hold to determine whether my GL752VW would support PCIe or SATA. When I got this laptop in early December I immediately checked the manual for the SSD upgrade, around December 15th; the manual said no SATA, and provided no further detail. I just checked the manual again today and to my surprise it has been updated, see image below.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M.2 Card.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	54463

PCIe (NVME) or SATA?! Well this adds a new layer of confusion. If I can get NVME to work on this laptop, why would I want to go for the slower SATA? Now back to the phone call: Marcel comes back from hold while I'm staring at the manual and he informs me "he almost got in trouble for inquiring about hard drive upgrades" and "he is restricted in answering my question any further". There is a brief pause and then he says "I can tell by your inquiry that you are a tech-savvy guy, I recommend you call a vendor we are affiliated with to get an answer to the question" and proceeds to provide me the number to XOTIC PC. They are closed today, but I will try them next week. In the meantime, any thoughts Nandodean, Clintlgm, WineLackey and others?

Quote Originally Posted by nandodean View Post
    Check this thread out

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...s-How-I-Did-It

There's a post of mine supporting this steps for the 752 also. I have successfully installed the 850 EVO SATA III 256GB on my GL752VW without any major issue. Someone should make a sticky given the fact this topic is going to be asked really frequently

Ps: no, neither the laptop or the SSD come with the screw. You will need to find one. I took it from my old VAIO, it's a popular screw on electronics

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Richcraft View Post
    I just had a very interesting phone call with Asus, my ticket is N1512101227 for anyone officially affiliated with Asus to verify. I spoke to a nice gentleman named Marcel who put me on hold to determine whether my GL752VW would support PCIe or SATA. When I got this laptop in early December I immediately checked the manual for the SSD upgrade, around December 15th; the manual said no SATA, and provided no further detail. I just checked the manual again today and to my surprise it has been updated, see image below.

PCIe (NVME) or SATA?! Well this adds a new layer of confusion. If I can get NVME to work on this laptop, why would I want to go for the slower SATA? Now back to the phone call: Marcel comes back from hold while I'm staring at the manual and he informs me "he almost got in trouble for inquiring about hard drive upgrades" and "he is restricted in answering my question any further". There is a brief pause and then he says "I can tell by your inquiry that you are a tech-savvy guy, I recommend you call a vendor we are affiliated with to get an answer to the question" and proceeds to provide me the number to XOTIC PC. They are closed today, but I will try them next week. In the meantime, any thoughts Nandodean, Clintlgm, WineLackey and others?
    Just don't read the manual. Asus itself can't explain the real specifications of the M.2 bay. On my spanish last version of the manual says the same, "no NVME/SATA supported". On the previous manual, said simply "no SATA supported" (exactly the same change you've reported), but it's a matter of fact I got it working with the EVO 850 SATA. Right now, the only way to guess, is to try the installation on the laptop yourself. If ASUS brings any details about which mothermoard supports which SSD on the M.2 bay.... It'll be easier, but until then, it's simply uncertainty. They simply don't know what have they done. If you need any help just quote me!

edit; re-reading your post, it says that BOTH SATA/NVME are supported, I thought it said NOT supported, as I have on my spanish manual. That is a 180º change.
    Last edited by nandodean; 01-01-2016 at 06:42 PM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by nandodean View Post
    Just don't read the manual. Asus itself can't explain the real specifications of the M.2 bay. On my spanish last version of the manual says the same, "no NVME/SATA supported". On the previous manual, said simply "no SATA supported" (exactly the same change you've reported), but it's a matter of fact I got it working with the EVO 850 SATA. Right now, the only way to guess, is to try the installation on the laptop yourself. If ASUS brings any details about which mothermoard supports which SSD on the M.2 bay.... It'll be easier, but until then, it's simply uncertainty. They simply don't know what have they done. If you need any help just quote me!

edit; re-reading your post, it says that BOTH SATA/NVME are supported, I thought it said NOT supported, as I have on my spanish manual. That is a 180º change.
    I agree, all my issues started when I read the manual! As far as I know, NVME requires a x4 PCIe slot in order to work. The GL752 only has a PCIe x16 and two PCIe x1. The PCIe x16 is being used by the GEFORCE GTX 960M, running at x8, which leaves 8 channels in spare. However, I do not believe there is a way for a PCIe x1 to use the excess channels. I stumbled over something about reallocating channels, but that is going to require NVME support in the BIOS/UEFI which I do not believe the GL752 has. If anyone has info regarding this, please chime in!
    Last edited by Richcraft; 01-01-2016 at 10:46 PM.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro

Well we actually only have one Asus Person in these forums We all need to Press cl-albert to get a definitive correct answer. Up to this point it seems that The GL 752 from Canada support SATA from the US Support NVMe and the GL551 support SATA from both. I think that is what we have come up with here in this forum. It may be that MB are being produced in multiple configuration and some how Asus has lost track or maybe its just a communication issue. It really sound like a serious SNFU if tech support people are being told not to support/Discuss hard drive upgrades. It is looking like the same as we were recommending with the G751 make sure you have the M.2 SSD installed when you buy it. That way you'll know what will work, as all you need to do it match it.
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Clintlgm View Post
    Well we actually only have one Asus Person in these forums We all need to Press cl-albert to get a definitive correct answer. Up to this point it seems that The GL 752 from Canada support SATA from the US Support NVMe and the GL551 support SATA from both. I think that is what we have come up with here in this forum. It may be that MB are being produced in multiple configuration and some how Asus has lost track or maybe its just a communication issue. It really sound like a serious SNFU if tech support people are being told not to support/Discuss hard drive upgrades. It is looking like the same as we were recommending with the G751 make sure you have the M.2 SSD installed when you buy it. That way you'll know what will work, as all you need to do it match it.
    I have a GL752, purchased in the U.S., and based off my motherboard slots, it only appears that my laptop has a PCIe x16 and two PCIe x1 slot. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm 99% positive an NVME card requires a PCIe x4 slot. Asus directed me to ask XOTIC PC, I took a look on their website and the only M.2 upgrades XOTIC offers for the GL752 are SATA III SSDs. If XOTIC isn't offering NVME, I'm thinking NVME is just not compatible with this model.

ROG Member Array

I had an online chat with ASUS before I installed my Sata SSD and the advisor, after putting me on hold for several minutes to check, came back and told me that the US model I had could take both SATA and NVME. He said that this was based on the serial number I gave him. I'm beginning to think they're improvising the info they give or maybe I do have an almighty machine that can take anything...
    Last edited by prototype89; 01-03-2016 at 04:11 PM. Reason: typo

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast