Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

I have the G752VY.

I have the 950 PRO 512 GB NVMe SSD installed in one m2 slot and the default Samsung 951 128 GB NVMe in the other m2 slot. I have the 850 EVO SATA III 2.5 drive in the HDD slot (replacing it).

The 950 PRO works and I'm booting windows off of it (see my other guide posts how I did it if you guys are curious) and the speeds I am getting, according to some benchmarking, seem about right. Device Manager recognizes the 950 PRO and so on.

But I can't install the official samsung NVME controller drivers. I try to install and I get an error message saying the 950 NVMe device is not detected. Samsung Partition Magic software also does not recognize the 950 PRO, and puts it as the 850 EVO instead (it shows TWO 850 EVO drives instead of the 850 EVO and the 950 PRO drive. I know it is showing the 950 PRO as the second 850 EVO drive since doing speed tests with partition wizard on that drive letter show NVMe speeds, NOT SATA III speeds).

I've also installed the intel controller drivers which made NO difference to the speed benchmarks (vs using the default MS driver) or the ability to install samsung official nvme controller drivers. I've also just updated to that new BIOS you guys linked to. This did NOT fix it -- I stil can't install the official drivers and the speed benchmark is about the same as it was before the bios update or the intel driver update.

So yea, that's the state of things -- Asus still needs to fix the bios to support the 950 PRO officially, or at least fix the issue with the official samsung drivers NOT installing which means you can't use Partition Wizard.

Here's the speed benchmark of the 950 PRO. As you see, it's about what it should be for the drive yes? So I don't know if the speeds should be faster. But maybe not having the official drivers working means the drive will burn out faster or something.

The drive is fast, very fast (see my comparision post where I put it up against the 951 NVMe and the 850 EVO pro). But yea.

Hope that helps and I hope asus fixes this.
    Miniatura de Adjuntos Miniatura de Adjuntos with_intel.jpg  

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by prototype89 View Post
    I had an online chat with ASUS before I installed my Sata SSD and the advisor, after putting me on hold for several minutes to check, came back and told me that the US model I had could take both SATA and NVME. He said that this was based on the serial number I gave him. I'm beginning to think they're improvising the info they give or maybe I do have an almighty machine that can take anything...
    Prototype89, can you do me a favor and download HWiNFO, scan your computer and take a screen capture similar to the one below of your motherboard tab? I'm trying to see what PCIe slots the motherboard in your GL752 has. That'll answer some questions if you can do that!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GL752VW.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	54513

Edit; here's the link for HWiNfo: http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php
    Last edited by Richcraft; 01-03-2016 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Added link

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by dbodyguru View Post
    I have the G752VY.
    Guru, I'm glad your NVME drive is working in your G752VY. It has been similarly reported across the forums that the NVME Samsung drivers are not installing correctly. However, this thread is specifically for the G -L- 752VW. Asus made the mistake of producing two laptops with very similar model numbers which is leading to a lot of G752VY owners jumping into this thread to report success with installing NVME SSDs. Unfortunately, the GL752VW has a different motherboard and PCIe slots, the two laptops are not one in the same. G752VY is advertised as compatible with NVME so no surprises there, however, the GL752VW M.2 SSD compatibility type is up in the air with no specifics offered from Asus or the product manual.
    Last edited by Richcraft; 01-03-2016 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Clarified model #s

ROG Member Array

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ProGL752.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	54514

Same as yours except for the newer BIOS Update.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by prototype89 View Post

Same as yours except for the newer BIOS Update.
    It looks like we can put this topic to rest. PCIe (NVME) drives require a PCIe x4 slot. The GL752, at least in both of our cases, does not have a PCIe x4 port. No change of bios or flip of a switch is going to give this model a x4 port, so it isn't a matter of software/firmware updates.

Considering everything in totality, the manual, Asus support comments and the success of users installing SATA III drives in the GL552 and GL752, SATA III is the compatible drive for these models. Any comments otherwise are either Asus speaking generally about the M.2 expansion slot (yes PCIe can accept SATA and NVME, but you need to look at the speed of the slot to determine compatibility) or Asus support themselves are confusing the G752 and the GL752 when customers call. Considering many of us in the forum have made this same mistake, the latter wouldn't be surprising. At this point I can say definitely, if you are an owner of a GL552 or GL752, your compatible drive is a SATA III.

Request sticky considering at the time of this post this thread has received over 11,661 views. Researching SSD compatibillity for my GL752 is how I discovered this website and thread to begin with, I'm sure I'm not alone. I also request a sticky because the manual does not specify the type of drive compatible with the GL552 or GL752, in addition, the Asus customer support line will not answer this question.

ROG Member Array

Hi,
    just bought the GL752VW myself here in Germany so i have the EU-Version?!. Anyways i read all the posts here on the last few pages including those from Cl-Albert and i want to upgrade with an M.2 2280 SSD too!
    So right now by looking at the German manual it says my GL752VW only supports NVMe (PCIe) SSD's and by looking at my slot i can tell it is M-key'ed so that means it CAN support NVMe (PCIe x4) if i'm right. Despite the information about many successful SSD installations with SATA III-protocol in the US-region, i would like to see official information about the protocol compatibility. And also information about the EU-models. I just called ASUS Support here in Germany today and they told me they basically give NO information concerning any upgrades to the hardware...seems like the information about wether it's SATA or NVMe supported in your GL752VW needs to come from these forums, other user experiences or you have to build in both variations with 50/50 chance of success

ROG Member Array

Fipser,

Take a look a few posts up, #112, and download HWiNFO64. Take a screenshot of your motherboard tab like Prototype did and post it here. Based off the PCIe ports your motherboard has, I can tell you which SSD your specific GL752 is compatible with. Please let me know if you have any questions!

ROG Member Array

Richcraft,
    thank you! i don't have Windows installed on the notebook yet. So i'll take a look into the BIOS soon to maybe (hopefully) find similar information there! So anything else than PCIe x4 should give SATA III support right?

EDIT:

As already mentioned somewhere here before the BIOS options are very! limited and i can't see any info about the PCIe configuration. Is there any way figure it out without windows installed?
    I just read a review on german Amazon for the GL752VW that comes with a 128 GB M.2 SSD and the guy found out it's a Samsung SSD (MZNLF128HCHP) which is a SATA model! I will look for more reviews on models with pre-installed SSDs if they also all detect SATA drives mine should be SATA too!

dbodyguru,

could you also provide a screenshot from HWiNFO like the ones above. If it shows a PCIe x4 then at least HWiNFO is the right choice to find the correct SSD type.
    Last edited by Fipser; 01-05-2016 at 08:06 PM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Fipser View Post
    Richcraft,
    thank you! i don't have Windows installed on the notebook yet. So i'll take a look into the BIOS soon to maybe (hopefully) find similar information there! So anything else than PCIe x4 should give SATA III support right?

EDIT:

As already mentioned somewhere here before the BIOS options are very! limited and i can't see any info about the PCIe configuration. Is there any way figure it out without windows installed?
    I just read a review on german Amazon for the GL752VW that comes with a 128 GB M.2 SSD and the guy found out it's a Samsung SSD (MZNLF128HCHP) which is a SATA model! I will look for more reviews on models with pre-installed SSDs if they also all detect SATA drives mine should be SATA too!

dbodyguru,

could you also provide a screenshot from HWiNFO like the ones above. If it shows a PCIe x4 then at least HWiNFO is the right choice to find the correct SSD type.
    Fipser, dbodyguru has the G752VY, which is a different model entirely from the GL752. The G752 (note the missing L in the model number), is compatible with NVME. Unfortunately, Asus made two laptops with very similar model numbers which is causing owners of both laptops to chime in, raising the confusion even further. Unless Asus decided to change the motherboard for the EU version of the GL752, which I highly doubt, I can say with high certainty that your EU version GL752 only has a PCIe x1 slot, which will only support SATA III. A PCIe x4 slot comes at a premium, it's not something Asus would just upgrade on a whim without a change in price. At this time, NVME support is reserved for the higher end Asus ROG models. The GL series is mid-grade, aimed at greater affordability.
    Last edited by Richcraft; 01-06-2016 at 05:54 AM.

ROG Member Array

Richcraft,

Right! you should be correct! Since the one identified by the Amazon guy is SATA too. This SSD has B/M-key'ing which is the most common key configuration for SATA M.2 SSD's. Should work in my M-Key slot though. Right here i can find very few SATA M.2 SSD's that come with M-Key only (some Intel ones). I will order a SATA M.2 SSD today and report back when it arrives!

EDIT:

I will try the Crucial MX200 250GB (CT250MX200SSD4).
    Last edited by Fipser; 01-06-2016 at 04:29 PM.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast