Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Just taken:

Samsung SM951 MZ-VPV256

That is full NVMe not AHCI - for my G752 - I just hope there won't be any issues...

ROG Member Array

NVMe is NOT supported. You don't even need to try. Get the AHCI version.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by stezo View Post
    NVMe is NOT supported. You don't even need to try. Get the AHCI version.
    Are you sure? Even official advetrst shows:

"ROG G752 utilizes the latest NVM Express (NVMe) SSD technology to give you blazing-fast data read and write speeds. Compared to Advanced Host Controller Interface (AHCI), NVMe not only maximizes sequential read and write speeds, but also minimizes random reading and writing latency. The result – faster system processes, and of course, faster gameplay."

Its G752 not G751

ROG Member Array

Not 100% sure, but for my GL752 the official Asus support told me that NVMe is not supported.

Not sure if there is a difference between the G752 and the GL752.
    For me, none of the drives worked, neither the NVMe versn nor the AHCI version.

I'm going to order a model where the SSD is pre-installed.

ROG Member Array

I'm going to have to say that this is a messed up situation. I did all the steps as well listed above. I installed the driver, got the correct drive (sm951), booted in EFI, disabled secure boot. This laptop is just not taking this drive. The funny thing is that it see's it in the bios but not in the "SATA Configuration" tab. It shows in the "Intel Rapid Technology" Tab as a "non-RAID" drive. It also shows up in "Disk Management" in Windows 10. It just doesn't show in the Windows 10 installer. Also, Asus said that they cannot help because I am using a non-Asus product (the ssd). They then told me to take it to Geek Squad or a local repair. WTF!!! What a bunch of script-reading clowns. It would be great if this laptop would just work properly and if Asus would help instead of pawning off their problems on other vendors. BTW, I have a G752VT.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro

Yes and is the 951 you bought AHCI version, the SATA version won't work
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

ROG Member Array

Yes, it is AHCI PCI-e and not the SATA version. I returned the 850 EVO that I mentioned earlier in the thread and received the SM-951 (http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SM951-.../dp/B00VELDBJ6) that Aeolisio mentioned would work. The thing that is getting me is that the bios is stuck in ""RAID" mode and will not switch as there are no other options.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array Clintlgm PC Specs
    Clintlgm PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G752VY DH72
    MotherboardAsus Z97 Pro WiFi and /Z97 Pro A
    ProcessorI7 4790K
    Storage #1512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    Storage #21 TB Samsun 850 Pro
    CaseCool Master Haf
    OS Win 8.1 Pro and Win 10 Pro

That's not good, needs to get to AHCI mode. Have you tried BIOS reset to Default settings? Default should be AHCI
    G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
    512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
    980m GTX 4 GB
    32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
    Windows 10 Pro
    Z97 -A
    Windows 10 Pro

ROG Member Array

I finally found a tech support guy at Asus who wasn't full of **** or a know-nothing. He agreed that it is the bios and that a bios update will solve it if it is added. It needs to be on AHCI which is currently not an option in the 205 G752VT bios. The only option is RAID. So, I guess I am stuck waiting for Asus to fix a major feature that should have been fixed before release.

New ROGer Array

G752 Bios Problem

Yes I reported in another thread about the bios issue where it is stuck in RAID mode and no way to put it back to ACHI. Due to this I am unable to access the M.2 drive in linux at all, and cannot clone the drive in clonezilla for backup purposes.

I emailed tech support a few times and tried to explain the issue and their first response was:

We don't support linux.

Then I explained I don't need help with linux, I need to switch the bios from raid to ACHI. then the same rep said "as you can see RAID is the only option"

I replied a THIRD time asking the tech (whose name is Pig by the way) to escalate the ticket so I could communicate with someone who could enable the option in the next bios update. Needless to say I never got a response. I cannot wait indefinitely for a bios update to resolve this problem. So I'm sending back my GL752 and getting an MSI instead.

I just want to say I've purchased many Asus products in the past and frequently recommend them to friends and clients. I really tried to get around the bios bugs (yes there are more than just this one) but am disappointed to have to return it.

Quote Originally Posted by travo5200 View Post
    I finally found a tech support guy at Asus who wasn't full of **** or a know-nothing. He agreed that it is the bios and that a bios update will solve it if it is added. It needs to be on AHCI which is currently not an option in the 205 G752VT bios. The only option is RAID. So, I guess I am stuck waiting for Asus to fix a major feature that should have been fixed before release.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast