cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G750JM Started to overheat

Extrymas21
Level 7
Hello everyone,

After one than more year since I purchased G750JM my laptop started to overheat. I use my laptop mostly for editing videos, creating intros (premiere pro, after fx stuff). At rendering stage those programs require a lot of resources. But the problem is that when rendering is in progress, cpu temperature goes way to high than it should be (reaches 100C). That is not normal at all and I`m afraid of getting more serious problems because of this. Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this.

P.S. Warranty ended 4 months ago.
P.S.S. Sorry, I`m not very good at English.
6 REPLIES 6

kemble9900
Level 7
Yeah thats gonna be due to the fact that the processor is an i7 4710hq, i have the same problem, i'd reccomend a cooling stand for the laptop

Well processor is 4700hq, not 4710. I used it , it helps to take about -10C while gaming or doing other stuff but not in rendering.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
.. I'd honestly never consider using the I7 4700HQ for video editing. Just doing compression ramps the CPU up to 80*C and sits there. That's crazy.

The amount of editing YOU'VE done, I'd say you've dried out your paste from sitting at 80*C a lot and now it's starting to get worse.

If I was you, I'd repaste ASAP if you still want to use the lappy for video editing.

Remember, it's a gaming machine, it's not meant to do such strenuous tasks like this.

IF POSSIBLE.. go into your settings and see if you can change some (or all) of the rendering tasks over to the GPU with CUDA.

Darnassus wrote:
.. I'd honestly never consider using the I7 4700HQ for video editing. Just doing compression ramps the CPU up to 80*C and sits there. That's crazy.

The amount of editing YOU'VE done, I'd say you've dried out your paste from sitting at 80*C a lot and now it's starting to get worse.

If I was you, I'd repaste ASAP if you still want to use the lappy for video editing.

Remember, it's a gaming machine, it's not meant to do such strenuous tasks like this.

IF POSSIBLE.. go into your settings and see if you can change some (or all) of the rendering tasks over to the GPU with CUDA.

Thanks for your answer. Recently I tried to play some games, and result is quite similar. CPU reaches ~90C degrees. IMO it is still too high and must be not more than 85C. I think I will look for instructions how to repaste cpu. Hopefully it won`t be too hard for me. 🙂

EDIT: Repasting CPU won`t helped. Still same temperatures. 😕

I don't know how useful this will be for you, but it's basically made it so I never have any issues with my machine. Assuming that you don't really care for fan noise, you could get an app called Notebook Fan control... I'm using my phone to write this at three in the morning, almost four, so I don't have screenshots or links for you. Basically that app will allow you to manually control the fan speeds in terms of what percentage they'll be running at. I have a G750JM, and I have them run at a consistent percentage when I play. Final Fantasy XIV, 75% fan speed. GTA V, 100% fan speed

If you find the application and download it (icon is a white fan, looks sort of like a wondmill's blades I guess), you'll notice it has profiles set up. Our laptop isn't on it, but if you go to the Asus section of that list, you'll start seeing Zenbook laptops. Go through them one by one until you get controls for both CPU and GPU fans, and frank those up to 100%. See if your problems persist, GTA V has not yet been able to make my computer reach 80C on CPU or GPU. I think the only times it's been over 70 are when I forget to use this app

Hope it helped, I'll check back in tomorrow to see if you need follow-up on this

Dream
Level 7

Hey bud

I've edited hundreds of hours of video on my g750JX via Premiere Pro. No problems, and as of yet, no repaste (although it was repasted on day 1 by the reseller, Pro-Star).

Repasting might help, but probably not as much as you need. See the attached image for what you *need* to do.

On my JX I have a working profile, a gaming profile, and a video editing profile. This allows perfect temps at all times.

Working = stock clock 3.4, -70 undervolt
Gaming = slight overclock 3.6, -50 undervolt
Video editing = slight underclock 3.2, -70 undevolt

Honestly, the "working" profile is fine for most video editing. The only time I might switch on the "video editing" profile is for a massive export of many files. I switch on the gaming profile sometimes because the laptop has zero problems cooling during all gaming sessions, so, a bit of extra juice is welcome.

Your exact voltage may not end the the same as me, but it should be very close, or maybe even the same. You will need to do a search for the overclocking thread here on the forum to find instructions for doing this. There is zero need to overvolt the cpu. You need to undervolt it to cool it for video editing, and underclock it if you really want to keep the temps down.

edit: this is the thread https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?38049-Guide-for-Overclocking-Maximum-Stability-amp-Perform...
ASUS G750JX-TB71

• CPU: i7-4700HQ @ 2.40 GHz.
  • Graphics: GeForce GTX 770M 3 GB GDDR5 RAM
  • Screen: 17.3' Full HD Matte Screen @ 100Hz
  • Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600 MHz. RAM 2x8
  • Storage: 500GB SSD 850 EVO + 750GB HDD @ 7200rpm
  • TC: IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU