cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VII Hero Not recognizing Samsung 950

piotrg36
Level 7
I have a Maximus VII Hero Mobo and I can't get the Samsung 950 m.2 to work. I've tried 2 different 950's but both have same issue.
I am not using RAID. I have Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate.

1) I Plugged in the drive and went into bios.
2) I went under Advanced and clicked Intel Rapid Start Technology.
3) I Enabled the technology and Enabled NVM Express Support
4) I checked under Advanced\NVMe Configuration and nothing shows up.
5) I updated the bios to 3003 but still nothing.
6) Booted windows from Samsung 850 216gb HDD
7) Downloaded the Samsung NVMe driver but when trying to install it it says no NVMe Device active and can't continue install.
😎 Unplugged all Sata connections besides DVD and tried setting up clean install.
9) I loaded the NVMe drivers but the Windows install still didn't recognize the Samsung 950.

I am at a loss where to go from here. Any help would be very appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2

Nate152
Hello piotrg36

Welcome to the ROG forum.

If you're not doing raid disable the rapid storage technology. I remember someone saying the 950 pro needs an update to be a bootable drive but I'm not 100% sure.

Samsung has Live Chat if you want to ask them, they don't have an ssd category but I'm sure someone there will know something.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/live-chat.html

Hi Nate152

Thank you for the reply. I have the necessary update I need to install but as I stated above. When I try to install it it states the NVMe
is not active and I can't continue install.

When you said disable the rapid storage technology. The Intel Rapid Start Technology is the only place in bios I saw to activate the
NVMe. Is there another location? I have the bios uefi utility version 2.16.1240.

Thank you,
Peter