cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A few questions before I pull the trigger...

Retired
Not applicable
I've been waiting to buy one of these until the time was right, and now it is. I'm replacing my gateway P-7805u which has been a great laptop aside from the random (frequent) b(lack)sod issues I've had. While I'm excited I want to make sure I do it right.

First the JW vs JH. From what I've seen they are very similar in benchmarks, each one topping the other in certain tests but the JW has had less out of the box issues (yes I'm aware of the vbios update for the JH), so is there a clear cut winner? Or is it more or less personal ATI vs NVIDIA preference? The only major difference I'm aware of is the 3D support of the JW, am I missing anything?

Second, Upgrades. I haven't decided if I'll be ordering from xoticpc already upgraded or do it myself (pricing on black friday will likely determine this) but I plan on doing the following:

Primary SSD Boot drive. I'm leaning toward the 180 GB ocz vertex 2 but am open to suggestion.

Secondary HDD: 500 GB Hybrid 7200 RPM

Optical: Considering upgrading to the BD Burner but will likely hold off on that for my next desktop.

RAM: I'll likely hold off for this but I'm considering upgrading to 16GB, xoticPC currently offers it for ~ $350, I feel I can do it for much less early in 2011.

Wireless LAN: Upgrade to the Intel Ultimate N6300. I've read that the stock wireless adapter has issues regardless of better performance in the 3 antenna N6300?

Finally, Xoticpc is now offering both the -A1 and the -3DE, to me self contained 3D is a great option, but will I use it enough to spend the extra $250?

Any suggestions to which upgrades are reccomended/overkill, which to do now, which to do later, which model to buy, or if I'm missing anything would be greatly appreciated! Ultimately I'd like to stay right at $2k but that's slightly flexible. I'll be the proud owner of one of these machines sometime between today and black friday.

Thanks,

DC

Edit: xoticpc also offers their own overclock service for $45, price isn't terrible but is this worth it? Seems like a bit of toying on my end (if even nescessary) would be much better.

Edit 2: I personally have never oc'd a machine however have a ton of experience in hardware swapping/upgrading so while ordering from xoticpc is convenient for upgrades, I am more than capable of handling them myself if anyone has any suggestions in that regard.

Again, thanks ahead of time for any support/suggestions.
13 REPLIES 13

Retired
Not applicable
I just read this over on the notebook review forums...

"Nevertheless, some resellers will take Ensemble notebooks, open them, and customize their configuration. Such notebooks are no longer supported by ASUS, but by the resellers themselves, including warranty service. The accidental warranty is also lost after customization..."

So knowing that (I want the warranty in tact) what upgrades can I get away with? I should be able to order the laptop stock, buy a seperate SSD, keep the original SSD as shipped in case I need to send it for warranty? Is that about it?

Pyro411
Level 7
For the Ram I found Kingston DDR3 1333mhz 4GB modules for roughly $50-60 on Newegg a piece, so at qty 4 you're still saving quiet a bit doing it yourself but do note the 4th ram slot is under the keyboard away from the other 3 slots

For the secondary hard drive Honestly I would suggest going against the Momentus XT and get a Seagate with the G-Force technology for better protection of the drive, especially if you're going to be moving your laptop around a lot. part number ST9500420ASG -- 500GB w/ 16mb Cache 7200rpm

If you don't have a blueray reader / dvd burner in it & the upgrade costs more than $140 I'd suggest getting it off of the Asus estore to save yourself a bit of $$$ 🙂

For the primary boot drive, around the end of the year or start of 2011 Intel will be releasing Generation 3 of their solid state drives, I've implemented many Intel SSD in the past and haven't had issues with any of them.

For the wireless they have just released newer updated drivers for both the wireless and wired "On the G73Jh" where the drivers for the G73Jw are roughly the same date stamp as the Jh model

Pyro411
Level 7
Upgrades you can get away with. Ram/Hard Drive(s)/Optical Drive

Technically your warranty is void if you re-apply thermal paste to your processor or replace your processor.

Retired
Not applicable
Wireless Adapter on that list?

Pyro411
Level 7
oops ya, that's a user serviceable part. The wireless adapter is a half height mini PCIe card with 2 antenna cables running to it.

Retired
Not applicable
I will be keeping my gateway for most travel needs so it will essentially be a desktop replacement for mostly home use. I'm fairly certain that I'm going to keep the optical drive the same and wait until I upgrade desktops to go with a burner, ram I'll do myself at some time, I'm still throwing back and forth the Wireless adapter upgrade, I've read a lot about the 3rd antenna being a pretty big deal and a wired connection isn't an option where I use the machine.

As for the HDD I am going to be upgrading to a SSD boot drive and have had good luck with OCZ in my gateway, the Vertex 2 has won a ton of media "awards" so I'm comfortable with it and at ~$200 it's much more affordable than the new technology. Of coarse that new technology will likely drop the price of the current early next year. Also since the stock HDD's are 7200 RPM drives already, is it overkill to replace a 500 GB 7200 RPM drive with another 7200 RPM drive that's slightly better? I'm only going to use that drive for media storage. I think it probably is.

So all things considered I'll probably order the machine stock and order a new ssd and posibly ram seperately.

Will I have a way to create a backup disk with the recovery partition and install Windows 7 fresh on the SSD or will I need a copy of windows as well?

Thanks for the advice btw pyro!

Now to decide between the JH and the JW...

Retired
Not applicable
Or the JW-3DE...

Retired
Not applicable
Also, I tried tooking but what is the exact type of ram needed? Newegg offers DDR3 1333 in PC3 10600, 10660, and 10666 which is slightly confusing...

Pyro411
Level 7
Kingston 4GB Module, the Kingston configuration utility shows the 2GB Module of this speed - $60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139190&Tpk=KVR1333D3S9%2f4G
Corsair 4GB Module - $73 -- The Corsair memory locator does not show the G73 on it, so there's no guarantee it'll work
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145283