Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

Thing is the newer G752VT BIOS are a bit on the Hokey Pokey side. You dont really know what iswhere. Set it to AHCI then go look for your M2 drive, you wont find it as the IRST where it was listed disappears but you can still boot from a drive that does not exist. Go back a page or two where the new bios was installed, AHCI enabled and a fresh install was done to a drive that did not exist according to the BIOS.

When you do a fresh install you do not have to add NVMe drivers even when you enable AHCI. You are adding raid controller drivers, NVMe drivers are native to Win 8.1 and later. NVMe, AHCI and RAID are all completely different animals with all completey different protocols and functions. You can run any drive through a RAID controller, NVMe, IDE or AHCI, PIO, PATA and probably Floppy disks if you still have one. What goes on with the protocol downstream of the RAID controller is another operation yet again.

Trust me when I say that RAID/AHCI is not a channel and the way they have it worded in the BIOS is what is leading to this continued confusion. NVMe is not now or will it every be under AHCI or RAID. Its not a choice between RAID or AHCI. It should be labeled RAID controller Enabled/Disabled. All of these BIOS files are still a long way from being what I would even consider as developed. Bottom line, they rushed the series to market without complete development of the skylake platform. I cant blame it on ASUS though as Im sure that even though they had this is the plans long ago Intel didnt release the specifics to make everything work until just before they released it (skylake platform final architecture released in AUG 2015 to OEM). Typical in any market. So for now all we can do is wait a bit for the BIOS to mature.

In the mean time, regardless of all the rest and word games (as we can go at this for an eternity), you have three choices. Run it like it came where the SATA and NVMe controllers are downstream of a RAID controller, change everything to accommodate Samsung's lack of development into the realm of RAID so you can install Samsung Magician and Samsung aftermarket drivers and gain nothing from it but the ability to update firmware on SATA drives, change everything and still not install Samsung software or drivers and not have to worry about Intel RST drivers when doing a clean install.

Here is a diagram for a Z97 dektop chipset, Yes I know its not the same but the general concept is the same. Sometimes looking at it helps to understand a little more. Note particularly the right side where you will see the SATA controller, then the NVME aka IRST PCIe storage then below the IRST raid controller. 3 different controllers with different purposes and different drivers all being routed through the chipset aka southbridge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	z97-chipset-diagram.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	174.8 KB 
ID:	55467

Now if none of this is enough to make your head hurt, Imagine a raid 0+5 where the controller is in one location and one mirror is in another and the other mirror in yet another all located thousands of miles apart and spanning thousands of drives.
    Last edited by JustinThyme; 02-08-2016 at 08:44 PM.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

Always exhaustive so the "points" are: upgrade to a decent m.2, wait for ASUS that's waiting for Intel to finish this "Alpha" experience. Not good at all...why i've sold my 751 XD

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

Not Exhaustive, thorough trying to leave nothing to questions. Having to wait for things to get optimized on any new cutting edge technology is always the case, no matter what it is. Intel is done, the point I was making is the OEM manufacturers that just deployed the skylake platform had little to no time to develop anything. Being an electronics engineer I can appreciate their dilemma. All they could do was develop a concept based on what Intel told them and design the case, power supply graphics in this case as they were already there but then they had to execute the rest including a working BIOS and testing as much as they could in a very short time. There is always the option to save a bunch of money and revert back to the I7 2670 and GTX 560M with 16GB ram and a 5400 rpm spinner. That's all tried and proven with all the bugs worked out. Me, I like the challenge and can give it time to mature instead of popping the bunghole on the barrel of scotch before it was ready.

All part of living on the edge!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuCGiV-EVjA

ROG Member Array

Long story short....

Hello guys,
    i've ordered G752VT, on the way and also have 512GB 950 pro...in order to install it, with clean install,

1.) I need to update bios to latest version (i assume it was 216)
    2.) in bios, i've to select AHCI mode in order to install windows.
    3.) install win10
    4.) change bios to RAPID mode again?

can someone confirm?

thanks.

ROG Member Array

It works great!

just installed 950 pro on g752vt with latest bios, in ahci mode...everything works great.in device manager, samsung nvme shows 950pro, magician works.trim works.

Name:	950pro.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	58753

ROG Member Array

bench

Quote Originally Posted by theVatansever View Post
    just installed 950 pro on g752vt with latest bios, in ahci mode...everything works great.in device manager, samsung nvme shows 950pro, magician works.trim works.

Name:	950pro.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	73.3 KB 
ID:	58753

Name:	950pro_crystalmark.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	58754

ROG Member Array

Remind me again what AHCI is, and is it a must to enable it, and if so, where do I enable it?

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by OscarJr View Post
    Remind me again what AHCI is, and is it a must to enable it, and if so, where do I enable it?
    from my endless trials if sata mode is not ahci windows cant see the disk.

ahci setting is inside bios, under sata controller branch...there're two options, ahci and raid...

ROG Member Array

from my endless trials if sata mode is not ahci windows cant see the disk.

ahci setting is inside bios, under sata controller branch...there're two options, ahci and raid...
    Awesome, thank you. The NVME driver update is a must, correct?

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by OscarJr View Post
    Awesome, thank you. The NVME driver update is a must, correct?
    at first i didnt install samsung nvme drivers, there were no problem...later installed...i dont know what was the performance before, but it was speedy though...just install it for piece of mind.

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast