cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what upgrades can I make without voiding warranty?

huge_e_x15
Level 7
maybe a stupid question, but as title says, what can i upgrade/swap/mod on my gl551jw without voiding my warranty?

is it possible to replace the optical drive with a caddy+hdd/ssd? any other suggestions from anyone?

this is my first new computer in 8 years, so I feel out of my depth at this point 🙂

thanks!
1 REPLY 1

Korth
Level 14
You can swap drives. You can swap memory. You can swap battery. ROG G551 upgrade guide here.

Asus tech support will routinely inform you that anything which involves removing screws voids Asus warranty, but don't worry about the few screws you might need to unscrew to access the user-serviceable (drive bay, memory slot, battery) compartments.

You will lose warranty if you disassemble the laptop, remove any screws covered by anti-tamper stickers (like the "Warranty Void If Removed" label, lol) or strip any screws fastened with threadlock.

Many people report improved thermal performance after disassembling their ROG laptops and doing a full re-paste with a premium TIM (which will outperform the cheap Asus factory pink goop), but this is an involved procedure which can easily break something. A lot of people (myself included) will just seize fate by the throat because confidence in Asus warranty is low.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]