Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array vore01 PC Specs
    vore01 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)soon to be the Asus G752VY-RH71
    Motherboardhave no idea
    Mouse Pad people still use these?
    Headset/Speakers earbuds that came with my iphone6
    OS yeah...Windows
    Network RouterVerizon something or other it has green flashing lights
    Accessory #1 Dell 7500....still works...($3200.00 back in 1998 BTW)
    Accessory #2 Dell 8000..kind of beat up a bit
    Accessory #3 HP envy desktop, HP envy laptop, Lenovo laptop
    vore01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    82

    Digital Downloads VS Physical Disc

    I don't know how anyone can download games over the internet unless they have extremely fast speeds. I have Verizon that caps at 90K. There is no way I can download anything. All the new games I was going to purchase I had to rethink my options when I found out there is no physical PC disc in the box. I'm now searching for games that have a physical disc. Is there anyway (legal mind you) that anyone knows of, where you can get a physical disk for MGS5? Is there a service out there?

    It seems that the internet companies and game manufacturers 'powers that be' sat in a room and decided how people can play games

    My new laptop (that was meant for gaming) will have no happiness playing solitaire.

  2. #2
    Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 4025MHz 17-17-17-39-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba OCZ VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1600w Titanium
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse Razer Basilisk
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U
    Nate152's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Reputation
    308
    Posts
    16,359

    Hello vore01

    I'm not sure that particular game has a hard copy, it comes with a disc but it's just the steam installer.

    http://www.lazygamer.net/industry-2/...eam-installer/

  3. #3
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Reputation
    24
    Posts
    293

    Why would you think games would be any different than operating systems? Microsoft posts online and you download the ISO for installation. Saves them disk money and you burn the disk or make a flash drive. Welcome to the new world.
    Lian-Li PC-A77F Full Tower case
    PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1200 ATX12V & EPS12V PSU
    ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 X79
    Intel Core i7-3960X 3.31 LGA 2011 CPU
    Intel RTS2011LC Liquid Cooling Solution
    Kingston KHX24C11T3K4/32X (quad 32Gb memory kit) 2 each
    ASUS Radeon HD7970 DirectCUII 3Gb GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card (two in CrossfireX Mode)
    Western Digital Cavier Black 2Tb SATA III 6.0GB/S
    OCZ Technologies Vertex 4 SATAIII 6Gb/s 512Gb SSD

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)
    Korth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Reputation
    152
    Posts
    2,719

    The new world sucks, lol. I prefer having physical discs or archives and retaining the ability to install my copy of the software wherever and whenever I want - even play offline - without paying ongoing subscriptions or contacting the mothership.

    But Verizon is apparently always offering a free upgrade from 640k/90k to 768k/128k in some areas. But $40/month for junk bandwidth and low usage limits? lol, you should probably find yourself a different internet provider.

  5. #5
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array vore01 PC Specs
    vore01 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)soon to be the Asus G752VY-RH71
    Motherboardhave no idea
    Mouse Pad people still use these?
    Headset/Speakers earbuds that came with my iphone6
    OS yeah...Windows
    Network RouterVerizon something or other it has green flashing lights
    Accessory #1 Dell 7500....still works...($3200.00 back in 1998 BTW)
    Accessory #2 Dell 8000..kind of beat up a bit
    Accessory #3 HP envy desktop, HP envy laptop, Lenovo laptop
    vore01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    82

    Quote Originally Posted by Nate152 View Post
    Hello vore01

    I'm not sure that particular game has a hard copy, it comes with a disc but it's just the steam installer.

    http://www.lazygamer.net/industry-2/...eam-installer/
    Yep...it's just the box with a digital code inside for downloading access....

  6. #6
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array vore01 PC Specs
    vore01 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)soon to be the Asus G752VY-RH71
    Motherboardhave no idea
    Mouse Pad people still use these?
    Headset/Speakers earbuds that came with my iphone6
    OS yeah...Windows
    Network RouterVerizon something or other it has green flashing lights
    Accessory #1 Dell 7500....still works...($3200.00 back in 1998 BTW)
    Accessory #2 Dell 8000..kind of beat up a bit
    Accessory #3 HP envy desktop, HP envy laptop, Lenovo laptop
    vore01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    82

    Quote Originally Posted by Korth View Post
    The new world sucks, lol. I prefer having physical discs or archives and retaining the ability to install my copy of the software wherever and whenever I want - even play offline - without paying ongoing subscriptions or contacting the mothership.

    But Verizon is apparently always offering a free upgrade from 640k/90k to 768k/128k in some areas. But $40/month for junk bandwidth and low usage limits? lol, you should probably find yourself a different internet provider.
    Verizon promises 3M speeds but it depends on how far away you are (I am) from the source. I'm 20 miles away, Apparently electricity like water diminishes in intensity with distance...I'm not sure but it might have something to do with the inverse square law lol

  7. #7
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array vore01 PC Specs
    vore01 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)soon to be the Asus G752VY-RH71
    Motherboardhave no idea
    Mouse Pad people still use these?
    Headset/Speakers earbuds that came with my iphone6
    OS yeah...Windows
    Network RouterVerizon something or other it has green flashing lights
    Accessory #1 Dell 7500....still works...($3200.00 back in 1998 BTW)
    Accessory #2 Dell 8000..kind of beat up a bit
    Accessory #3 HP envy desktop, HP envy laptop, Lenovo laptop
    vore01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    82

    found this it shows games that have a disc...it's something anyway...

    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_...nid=7909609011

  8. #8
    ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Korth PC Specs
    Korth PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS X99 R5E (BIOS2101/1902)
    ProcessorHaswell-EP E5-1680-3 SR20H/R2 (4.4GHz)
    Memory (part number)Vengeance LPX 4x8GB SS DDR4-3000 (CMK32GX4M4C3000C15)
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Graphics Card #2NVIDIA Quadro GP100GL/16GB, 16xPCIe3, NVLink1 (SLI-HB)
    Sound CardJDS Labs O2+ODAC (RevB), USB2 UAC1
    MonitorASUS PG278Q
    Storage #1Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSDs, 4xSATA3 RAID0
    Storage #2Comay BladeDrive E28 3200GB SSD, 8xPCIe2
    CPU CoolerRaijintek NEMESIS/TISIS, AS5, 2xNH-A14
    CaseObsidian 750D (original), 6xNH-A14
    Power SupplyZalman/FSP ZM1250 Platinum
    Headset Pilot P51 PTT *modded*
    OS Arch, Gentoo, Win7x64, Win10x64
    Network RouterActiontec T3200M VDSL2 Gateway
    Accessory #1 TP-Link AC1900 Archer T9E, 1xPCIe
    Accessory #2 ASUS/Infineon SLB9635 TPM (TT1.2/FW3.19)
    Accessory #3 ASUS OC Panel I (FW0501)
    Korth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Reputation
    152
    Posts
    2,719

    Quote Originally Posted by vore01 View Post
    Verizon promises 3M speeds but it depends on how far away you are (I am) from the source. I'm 20 miles away, Apparently electricity like water diminishes in intensity with distance...I'm not sure but it might have something to do with the inverse square law lol
    Digital signal integrity diminishes with distance, copper impedance makes long runs act a little like power transmission lines (they become big antennae subject to SWR and EMI/RFI wavefronts), even optic is an imperfect signal conductor in practice (because it's not one continuous run and each splice attenuates the signal another few fractions of a dB). Signal errors involve more ECC encoding overheads and slower semi-duplex protocols with lots of resent packages, in practice this results in lower effective signal bandwidth. So yes, the further you are physically located from the big ISP hardware the slower your internet service will be.

    You appear to be on what they commonly call the last mile. It costs the hardware provider a lot of money to install and maintain the hardware infrastructure (that is, the actual wires and gateways and stuff), so they stretch out each piece of their hardware infrastructure to cover the largest area they can while maintaining a minimum QoS standard. People located next door get smallest latencies and largest bandwidths while people located on the last mile get sluggishly unresponsive and crappy service. (And the further away you are downstream from the gateway, the more interruptions you'll get in your service while techs splice more upstream users into the same trunk.)

    If you want better internet you either wait until Verizon decides to upgrade their hardware, or you move closer to their hardware, or you look for a different ISP with hardware capable of servicing your area faster.
    Last edited by Korth; 11-26-2015 at 05:25 PM.

  9. #9
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array vore01 PC Specs
    vore01 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)soon to be the Asus G752VY-RH71
    Motherboardhave no idea
    Mouse Pad people still use these?
    Headset/Speakers earbuds that came with my iphone6
    OS yeah...Windows
    Network RouterVerizon something or other it has green flashing lights
    Accessory #1 Dell 7500....still works...($3200.00 back in 1998 BTW)
    Accessory #2 Dell 8000..kind of beat up a bit
    Accessory #3 HP envy desktop, HP envy laptop, Lenovo laptop
    vore01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    82

    Quote Originally Posted by Korth View Post
    Digital signal integrity diminishes with distance, copper impedance makes long runs act a little like power transmission lines (they become big antennae subject to SWR and EMI/RFI wavefronts), even optic is an imperfect signal conductor in practice (because it's not one continuous run and each splice attenuates the signal another few fractions of a dB). Signal errors involve more ECC encoding overheads and slower semi-duplex protocols with lots of resent packages, in practice this results in lower effective signal bandwidth. So yes, the further you are physically located from the big ISP hardware the slower your internet service will be.

    You appear to be on what they commonly call the last mile. It costs the hardware provider a lot of money to install and maintain the hardware infrastructure (that is, the actual wires and gateways and stuff), so they stretch out each piece of their hardware infrastructure to cover the largest area they can while maintaining a minimum QoS standard. People located next door get smallest latencies and largest bandwidths while people located on the last mile get sluggishly unresponsive and crappy service. (And the further away you are downstream from the gateway, the more interruptions you'll get in your service while techs splice more upstream users into the same trunk.)

    If you want better internet you either wait until Verizon decides to upgrade their hardware, or you move closer to their hardware, or you look for a different ISP with hardware capable of servicing your area faster.

    yeah...what he said!

    thank you for the explanation....very informative. I don't think I'll move just to get better download speeds though. Looking into FIOS

  10. #10
    ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array sk2play's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Reputation
    139
    Posts
    1,058

    I attempted to re-install all my Steam Games off a data HDD. Steam would NOT allow it, although in years past, they would have allowed it. I needed to download the games I wanted all over again. This probably has to due with contracts and copyright protection
    Corsair 500R Case, H110 Hydro, 1200AX PSU, Asus Maximus Hero VI MB, Intel 4770K CPU, Gigabyte GPU GV-N98TWF3OC-6GD, G-Skill Trident 2400MHz 32GB, Crucial M500 960GB SSD, Seagate 6TB HDD x2, Creative SBZ to Denon AVR-4311ci - Infinity Primus 5.1 w/Klipsch Sub XW-300d, HP ZR30w 30" S-IPS LCD, W10 64bit

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •