cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

R5E Accessing Wi-Fi and Ethernet Simultaneously

supprimendi_tyr
Level 7
According to my router's blinking lights, my R5E MOBO is sucking up both Wi-Fi and Ethernet at the same time. Is this possible, and if so, is it healthy for the board?

I don't have the Wi-Fi antenna attached to the MOBO. Is it possible for the board to get Wi-Fi anyway.

If the board is accessing Wi-Fi, I want to turn it off because the faster speed comes from the Ethernet connection. Correct?
15 REPLIES 15

Nate152
Yeah since you're hard wired with an ethernet cable you can disable it. Should be in the bios, advanced tab, onboard device configuration.

I'm hard wired and have wifi disabled too.

lordo59
Level 7
You can disable the WiFi network connection in Windows as well. Involves a right click.

supprimendi_tyr
Level 7
Awesomely simple then. Thanks much!

supprimendi tyrannidem wrote:
Awesomely simple then. Thanks much!

If its disabled in bios it won't appear in windows same as the onboard sound.

If your router is still indicating wifi usuage someone else is using your internet. lol

As for accessing your router go inside network then you should see your router there, right click then open device webpage.

supprimendi_tyr
Level 7
I disabled Wi-Fi in my BIOS but how do I also do it in Windows 10?

supprimendi_tyr
Level 7
I found the following quote concerning disabling Wi-Fi in Windows 10:

"If you do not want to have Wi-Fi Sense enabled for your Windows 10 device, you can disable it within the settings. Click on the Start menu and hit “Settings.” Then click on “Wi-Fi” under “Network & Internet.” Under “Manage Wi-Fi Settings,” you will see options to connect to suggested open hotspots and connect to networks shared by your contacts. You can also select which networks that you want to share your password with, including Outlook, Skype and Facebook contacts. To completely disable Wi-Fi Sense, make sure to disable all of those options."

The thing is, I don't have "Wi-Fi" under Network and Internet, and so neither do I have "Manage Wi-Fi Settings". It's like the Wi-Fi category doesn't exist in my WIndows 10.

Pleot
Level 8
I dont understand what you mean by having both connected simultaneously. here when I have ethernet connected wi-fi is not, I dont even think it is possible to have them both connected to the lan at the same time. Thing is that I need wi-fi for some other purposes other than websurfing and lan and when that is the case it will start as needed... Maybe im missing something..l.

Menthol
Level 14
If you disable it in the bios you won't find it in windows, so you could disable it in windows then disable it in the bios.
Some mother boards allow teaming of multiple Ethernet ports, or Ethernet and Wifi, not a real big plus for most people, or you can connect other devices to the Wifi or Blue Tooth of your computer to access the Internet, also not a big deal these days as most Internet providers give you a router with Wifi

supprimendi_tyr
Level 7
Even though I disabled Wi-Fi in my BIOS, my router kept showing that Wi-Fi was being accessed from it. So that meant that an outside party was accessing my router. I looked up online how to disable Wi-Fi in WIn10 and all articles said that WIn10 allows "Wi-Fi Sensing" by default, which allows other computers to access your router without needing a password. It said to go to Settings; Network and Internet; Wi-Fi; and Manage Wi-Fi to disable it. Yet, my WIn10 does not have the Wi-Fi and Manage Wi-Fi categories so I went to Settings; Network and Internet; "Change advanced sharing options" and under "Private" selected "Turn off network discovery and "Turn off file and printer sharing" and "Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers". Then on the same page under "Guest or Public" I selected "Turn off network discovery" and "Turn off file and printer sharing". Then under "All networks" I selected "Turn off Public folder sharing sharing" and made sure "Media streaming" was turned off, and selcted "Use 128-bit encrypter to help protect file sharing connections and Turn on password protected sharing". Also, under "Windows Firewall", I disabled "Guest or public networks".

After doing all that, my router stopped allowing access from a source outside of my already 'disabled Wi-Fi' MOBO. All the articles I read abour "Wi-Fi Sensing" were from publications like Forbes magazine and they were warning businesses about the 'built-in failing' of Win10 in how it allows access to their networks by default. Unless you want to allow your neighbors into your PC and/or Wi-Fi connection, you better make sure your Win10 is configured like how did mine.