cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

64 GB RAM... how?

TheSarge
Level 7
Hey, I just got me a new ASUS Maximus VIII Hero motherboard and I'm loving it. However, I do have a few questions.

First off, the manual says that:

"You may install 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB and 8 GB unbuffered and non-ECC DDR4 DIMMs into the
DIMM sockets."

but there's only 4 DIMM slots and 4x8 GB is only 32 GB, not the maximum of 64 GB that the board claims it supports. So, how can I get 64 GB of RAM on this thing? Is the manual wrong in that it actually supports 16 GB sticks, or is it wrong in that it only supports a maximum of 32 GB?
5 REPLIES 5

DamianStr
Level 8
There Are rams with 16Gb on a stick like G.skill have a set of 2x 16GB if you buy this two of him you will have 64GB but do you need it ?

http://gskill.com/en/product/f4-3000c15d-32gtz

Barbara917
Level 7
I went through the qualified vendor list for any DIMMS of 16GB. There were some GSKILL dimms listed under DDR4 3000.

Menthol
Level 14
If your goal is to have the maximum amount of RAM please don't expect to run them at high frequencies also. The more memory you install is harder on your CPU.
3000 mhz may be difficult with 64 GB of RAM installed, there may not have been 64 GB kits to test when this platform was released, what I mean is 64Gb kits for the Z170 platform not the X99 platform, If the kit is not qualified on the Z170 platform you may be setting yourself up for disappointment as the 2 platforms have differences

Chino
Level 15
TheSarge wrote:
Hey, I just got me a new ASUS Maximus VIII Hero motherboard and I'm loving it. However, I do have a few questions.

First off, the manual says that:

but there's only 4 DIMM slots and 4x8 GB is only 32 GB, not the maximum of 64 GB that the board claims it supports. So, how can I get 64 GB of RAM on this thing? Is the manual wrong in that it actually supports 16 GB sticks, or is it wrong in that it only supports a maximum of 32 GB?

That's correct.

Give it some time and more kits with 16GB modules will be available.

Ok, thanks for the replies everyone. I wanted 64 GB so I could run my games from a RAMdrive. World Of Warships alone takes up more than 21 GB of space.
Still, this PC is really fast and I'm more than happy with it. I've got 16 GB of 3000 MHz Patriot Viper memory in it in now and It's more than enough to run all my games from the M.2 SSD so I'm not worried.

Thanks again everyone.