cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PS/2 Keyboard/Mouse combo port

NickG
Level 7
Does the rear panel PS/2 Keyboard/Mouse combo port on the Hero allow the use of both keyboard and mouse together by use of a splitter cable, or can only the keyboard or mouse be used, but not both together.

The manual has no mention of this, and as far as I can see nor do manuals for any other motherboards with this combo port.

There are sufficient pins for both keyboard and mouse to be used together, and the name (combo port) and colours used (purple/green) would suggest both can be used at the same time.

Has anyone used this port with both keyboard and mouse together ?
2 REPLIES 2

yountmg
Level 7
I have purchased 6 PS/2 Y splitter cables to date and they are not cheap. I am out 80 dollars.

The manufacturers of said cables a cheap SOB's and the PS/2 Y splitter cables are only partially wired.
(i.e.) Wires necessary for the mouse are routed only to the Mouse plug and Wires necessary for Keyboard are routed only to the Keyboard plug.

Theoretically speaking this should be sufficient, but in practice one or more wires are open which causes the cables to become 6 inch extensions for either the Mouse or Keyboard but not both, rendering the cable useless as a splitter.

If the manufacturers had been responsible they would have fully wired both sides of the spliter. If such a thing is not possible then ASUS has made an error by doing it on the motherboard.

(i.e.) A fully wired cable with a single bad wire would still be usable by just swapped connectors.

ASUS should have provided a fully functional PS/2 Y splitter cable with the motherboard,

The problem is that USB doesn't really work. Windows 10 does not always register USB key strokes and USB mouse presses, especially when the CPU's are busy. I have also encountered problems with missing keystroke's (if Windows 10 is doing updates).

(i.e.) When I type "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aide of their country", after a second or two "Nw is he ime fo al goo en to cme to te ide of heir coutry" splits out.

I can partially bypass this problem by making sure all software and data update activities (are massive on Windows 10) are complete and terminated before using the computer.

I can partially bypass this problem by using either and PS/2 mouse or PS/2 keyboard but I have not located a fully functional PS/2 Y splitter cable.

I am also destroying the PS/2 combo connector on my motherboard through excessive use trying to find a working PS/2 Y splitter cable.
I found one cable that works for the mouse and seven cables that work for keyboard.

I purchased a male PS/2 plug and two female plugs but the necessary wires (very tiny) to wire it up are lacking.

I think the ASUS should have supplied a cable if they really wanted to go with a combo PS/2.
ASUS should realize that the motherboard is defective since no functional PS/2 Y splitter cables exist.

I came here hoping that ASUS sells such a cable?