Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Guru: Black Belt Array

@ fostert: From some of your posts, it's clear that you do some pretty high-powered computing! I'm just curious why you do this on a laptop, where it's so much harder (and more expensive) to expand and customize for the demanding work you do? Seems like a desktop would work better.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array fostert's Avatar

Actually until now I have done all my work on desktops (workstations) in my lab. But I travel a few times a year between the Manitoba (where I work) and the Dominion radio astrophysical observatory in BC (where I used to work and continue to collaborate in research projects), and it was always a pain having to prepare for these trips and dump 100s of gigs of data onto an external drive, and then try to anticipate what I'll do while there and try to remember all the other bits of things that I had been working on since my last trip. So I thought I'd try doing all my work on a desktop replacement that I could literally toss into a backpack and go. My next trip is in February, and I will have had the notebook for 4 months then, with all my newest projects on the go that I can literally hop across Canada with whenever I fancy.

I realize that even the fastest notebooks will never touch a desktop in terms of performance, but thanks to gamers (and the desktop replacement market) the difference today is actually alot smaller than it used to be.

Besides the PCs they give visiting researchers at DRAO are ancient, and couldn't even run my updated data processing code which is so unoptimized that it takes sick amounts of ram.
    Last edited by fostert; 12-24-2011 at 01:08 AM.

Thanks for the explanation...I hope the G74 lives up to your expectations. (And I thin k Asus should be flattered that you chose their machine for this!)

ROG Member Array

So updating here,

I tried the approach of making a 1gb-2gb Virtual Memory file on the SSD (SSD is my primary drive) and Windows Experience Index rated my drive at 7.4. Then I took the approach expanding that file to it's full size ( 24gb - 48gb) and same thing.

Then I put the swap file on the external HDD and my index rose to 7.5. So at least according to windows, it prefers it's virtual memory on different drives if possible. My guess? It's probably because there is a greater speed up in being able to simultaneously read and write (Asynchronously) versus one at a time

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array JRd1st's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by miragetetra View Post
    So updating here,

I tried the approach of making a 1gb-2gb Virtual Memory file on the SSD (SSD is my primary drive) and Windows Experience Index rated my drive at 7.4. Then I took the approach expanding that file to it's full size ( 24gb - 48gb) and same thing.

Then I put the swap file on the external HDD and my index rose to 7.5. So at least according to windows, it prefers it's virtual memory on different drives if possible. My guess? It's probably because there is a greater speed up in being able to simultaneously read and write (Asynchronously) versus one at a time
    Yup! You guessed correctly. I wonder what that does to the theory that Windows doesn't use the swap file if you have a lot of RAM.
    Read the User's Manual for more info.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
    Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
    LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
    Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
    Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Quote Originally Posted by JRd1st View Post
    Yup! You guessed correctly. I wonder what that does to the theory that Windows doesn't use the swap file if you have a lot of RAM.
    Nothing.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2