cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows clean install on new drive?

Retired
Not applicable
Sorry if you caught this on my other post but I though I'd clean up my last question before I purchase. I'm about to buy the G73JW-XN1 from Newegg and a SSD boot drive for it. Question is, will I need to buy a new copy of windows or will I be able to somehow use the restore feature from the original drive to create a disk that will allow me to complete a CLEAN windows 7 install sans bloatware?

Thanks ahead of time for your help!

Only thing left to decide is whether to pull the trigger now or wait until Newegg starts their black friday sale on wednesday...
7 REPLIES 7

xeromist
Take a look at this post. You can just download an image and use your key to install it:
http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?693-Problem-with-windows-7-64-bit&p=3424&viewfull=1#pos...
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
Stupid question but I own a legit copy of Windows 7 ultimate, can I use the key provided with the new ASUS even though it's not ultimate? Or will I even run into any issues using the same Key as my current laptop? (I will still be using it)

If it matters it was an OEM disk for system builders.

oops I was talking about the Disk being legit. the OEM key on bottom of your laptop will work, you just need the universal install disk or Windows 7 Home Premium to install it with. as for 2 with the same key it's hard to say, most likely is the 2nd one will not activate.

Pyro411
Level 7
Sadly you have to use either the method I posted in the link xeromist responded with, or an oem home premium disk. Windows Vista did have a VERY nice universal installer on their OEM disks which has been locked down on the Windows 7 Disks. If you try using an OEM disk for Ultimate it'll get past the point of formatting before telling you it won't accept your key. Now if the disk you have is from a legit system builder you know and has the version select in the disk before it gets to the format it should work without a hitch, if it's from a shady source I'd suggest download the ISO from Digital River and follow the directions to make it a Universal install disk.

Retired
Not applicable
I own it, have the key and it's 100% legit. Purchased from newegg. The key is attatched to the bottom of the laptop I'm typing this on. What issues do I run the risk of by running 2 cpu's with the same key?

xeromist
Yes, the second one will not activate. You'll have to stick with the version that comes with the laptop unless you want to pay for the Anytime Upgrade. Personally I only need more than Home Premium for one of my computers. I know that Bitlocker would be nice on a laptop but there are other whole disk encryption options like TrueCrypt.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
you can either image your original drive and copy it over to the ssd, or install your win ultimate on the ssd and install the drivers again, or use your restore disk and install on the ssd.