cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB BIOS Flashback Will Not Work

Cywok
Level 8
Cannot get the USB BIOS Flashback to work. Push the ROG Connect button and release when the light starts to flash. Light flashes 3 times and then goes dark. The expect behavior I believe is for the light to remain on for a certain time period (not sure how long) and then go dark to indicate the BIOS has been updated

I have tried the following for both BIOS1 & BIOS2.

• Format a 16G USB stick to fat32
  • Rename BIOS file to R5E.CAP
  • Put R5E.CAP file on USB stick
  • No other files present on USB stick
  • BIOS file on USB stick is a different version than one on motherboard i.e. USB BIOS = 1701 and motherboard BIOS = 1502 as an example
  • Insert USB into ROG Connect Port
  • Push ROG connect button and release when light begins to flash

Light flashes 3 quick times and goes dark. Reboot machine only to find that BIOS was not changed.
I have also tried to clear CMOS prior to steps above and get same results.

When I examine the USB stick after a failed attempt there is a new folder at root called \@eaDir\@tmp
No files are present in this folder.
The EZ Flash 2 from BIOS works fine as I have updated the BIOS before but I need the flashback to work to upload a modified BIOS. I only used ASUS official BIOS in my attempts above. Have not even tried to use a modified BIOS yet.

My system is running at stock, no overclocking.
5930K, 32G Crucial memory @ 2133

System has been working for 8+ months but this is the first time I have attempted to use the USB flash function.
The only thing I have not done is replace the BIOS battery.
6 REPLIES 6

Used 2 different USB sticks. Same problems with both.

• Kingston 8G Datatraveler 111
  • Kingston HyperX Fury 3.0 - 16G

itsnice4u
Level 8
Cywok wrote:
Cannot get the USB BIOS Flashback to work. Push the ROG Connect button and release when the light starts to flash. Light flashes 3 times and then goes dark. The expect behavior I believe is for the light to remain on for a certain time period (not sure how long) and then go dark to indicate the BIOS has been updated

I have tried the following for both BIOS1 & BIOS2.

• Format a 16G USB stick to fat32
  • Rename BIOS file to R5E.CAP
  • Put R5E.CAP file on USB stick
  • No other files present on USB stick
  • BIOS file on USB stick is a different version than one on motherboard i.e. USB BIOS = 1701 and motherboard BIOS = 1502 as an example
  • Insert USB into ROG Connect Port
  • Push ROG connect button and release when light begins to flash

Light flashes 3 quick times and goes dark. Reboot machine only to find that BIOS was not changed.
I have also tried to clear CMOS prior to steps above and get same results.

When I examine the USB stick after a failed attempt there is a new folder at root called \@eaDir\@tmp
No files are present in this folder.
The EZ Flash 2 from BIOS works fine as I have updated the BIOS before but I need the flashback to work to upload a modified BIOS. I only used ASUS official BIOS in my attempts above. Have not even tried to use a modified BIOS yet.

My system is running at stock, no overclocking.
5930K, 32G Crucial memory @ 2133

System has been working for 8+ months but this is the first time I have attempted to use the USB flash function.
The only thing I have not done is replace the BIOS battery.

I want to let you know that I experienced same problem before,
I think the first thing you can try is to turn off power supply completely and turn it on, after then try usb flashback again and check if you can see rog connect small led flashing continuously. Regarding this kind of issue, Clearing CMOS will not be helpful, your system need to be power down completely. try this and let us know the result, good luck.

Resolved. The USB sticks that I was using were previously used for my windows 10 installations and had a UEFI partition. I used diskpart to clean and create a primary partition and was then able to successfully use the flashback port.

Counteragent
Level 8
Just wondering why so many people use the BIOS Flashback utility, rather then just booting into BIOS n going to the BIOS utility to update bios?
MB: ASUS Rampage V Extreme
CPU: Intel Core i7 5960X Extreme Edition
RAM: Dominator® Platinum Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2800MHz
PSU: Corsair AX1200i Digital ATX Modular
GFX: 3 x EVGA GTX Titan Black Superclocked 6GB
SSD: 2 x Samsung 850 Pro Series 512Gb SSD Raid 0
HDD: 2 x WD4003FZEX WD Black 4TB Raid 0
1234;
2 x WD1000DHTZ WD VelociRaptor 1TB Raid 0
MON: Dell Ultra Sharp 32 Ultra HD Monitor - UP3214Q
CASE: Silverstone Temjin TJ11 Black with Window Case

Primary reason is to upload modified BIOS files. The EZ Flash function from BIOS will only allow you to flash official ASUS bios files. There is some type of security function in EZ 2 flash that prevents you from uploading modified BIOS files.

Why use a modified BIOS file? In my case, I have a long standing problem of one drive member of my RAID 0 from dropping out all the time. Either on a BIOS update, or under heavy gaming load or in my case just when my computer wakes from sleep. This is a problem that many other users have reported as well.
Some users have modified the ASUS BIOS files to update the RAID to version 14.xx from the current 13.xx on BIOS 1701. This has resolved their issue of member drives dropping out of RAID 0.
Only way to install such modified BIOS is through the USB flashback.