cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is My Sabertooth 990FX bad?

Cyberpower678
Level 7
Hey guys, I'm sure I'm posting a duplicate forum, but I feel like the advice on other forums are bit too different for me.

So here's my problem. I feel my motherboard around the CPU is bad. When I start the computer, it shuts itself down and I hear a whining noise getting higher like a capacitor overcharging, and then the CPU LED lights and the board shuts off.

• So what did I do so far to diagnose this problem?
  • I unplugged everything and plugged it back in, to make sure the cables are correct.
  • The PSU self test has passed.
  • I eliminated the possibility of the PSU being defective as it successfully powers the GPU from the same outputs. My PSU is fully modular.
  • I attempted to start the MOBO with no GPU, peripherals, and memory
  • I disconnected the 8 pin connector and the MOBO remained operational but unresponsive, logically.
  • I ran the board outside of the case in case the case was shorting the board.
  • I disconnected the CPU fan from the motherboard in case the back mounting plate was shorting.

After all that the problem persisted and seemed more and more like a bad capacitor on the MOBO. When I let it discharge for several minutes, the MOBO runs for about 20 seconds. When I turn it on right after it powered down, it runs for about 7 seconds.

I'm consulting this forum in hopes of receiving a second opinion of what could be causing the problem and how to fix it.

I've narrowed it to this:

• Most likely bad MOBO
  • Less likely CPU
  • Least likely PSU

Any input would be appreciated.

EDIT: Using a friends PSU, I ruled out my PSU being defective his PSU didn't fix the problem in my computer and my PSU worked fine in his computer.
11 REPLIES 11

Cyberpower678
Level 7
Anyone???

Nate152
Hello Cyberpower678

It sounds like you're on the right track thinking it's the motherboard, it could be the psu too but without other parts to test with it's hard to say with 100% certainty.

I'm with you I'd try a new motherboard first.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello Cyberpower678

It sounds like you're on the right track thinking it's the motherboard, it could be the psu too but without other parts to test with it's hard to say with 100% certainty.

I'm with you I'd try a new motherboard first.

I did manage to get a hold of a friends PSU, and tried mine his computer too, and my computer failed as usual while his ran fine. So I was able to rule PSU out. I also went ahead and RMA'd the board. It could also be a short in the CPU, but I won't know until I get the new board back.

Nate152
I have a good feeling you'll have a working pc when you get your new motherboard.

Please give us an update when you get it installed.

Nate152 wrote:
I have a good feeling you'll have a working pc when you get your new motherboard.

I'm glad to hear it. I will let you know when I get the replacement installed. According to tracking, the Motherboard should arrive at ASUS tomorrow. I hope to have it soon, as my MacBook's MOBO failed and basically took all the logic circuits with it, including the SSD. 😕

Nate152 wrote:

Well, it took forever and a half, I finally got and installed the new motherboard, and still shuts down. :'-(

Cp678,
It would be easier if you gave us an idea of your rig. What CPU......etc.

Cp678,
It would be easier if you gave us an idea of your rig. What CPU......etc.

wistryker
Level 7
I apologize I just seen the specs.