cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU Tweak II just broke my 980 Ti

RogueEric
Level 7
Just poking around in the GPU Tweak software, all I did was click the OC profile button in GPU Tweak II and the screen immediately went black and the monitor went tinto standby as if no input was being received. Multiple reboots and the screen is not receiving a signal just prior to Windows loading. I am getting the POST screen and UEFI just fine then the screen goes black just prior to the Windows login screen.

System specs under my profile. I'm running Windows 10 and the GeForce driver released yesterday.

There was no setttings changed on the 980 Ti from factory prior to clicking the OC button.

Any ideas on how to fix this?
15 REPLIES 15

Nate152
Hello RogueEric

Just wondering if you got it fixed.

1) If you have the windows dvd you could boot from it and select repair or system restore.

2) Do a complete reinstall of windows.

Since you are able to get display with the bios I'm thinking the oc profile is what's keeping your pc from booting and no damage is done.

Fingers crossed.

Chino
Level 15
Try removing your GPU and booting with the iGPU. See if you can get inside Windows.

Also do you remember which version of GPU Tweak II you were using?

RogueEric
Level 7
Nate, I'm keeping those options as my last resort. Hopefully I won't need to go that far. Fingers definitely crossed!

Chino, that's my plan. I'll try to boot into Windows on the iGPU and revert the GPU Tweak profile to "Gaming." Think that will work?

It should be the latest version of GPU Tweak II, I just updated it in mid-November.

Oh, and I should add that Windows is booting, just with no signal to the monitor. I can enter my PIN to log in and get the windows startup chime and hit Win+X, U, U and shutdown the system.

toronto699
Level 13
There is a problem with GPU Tweak ll , many have issues either installing or with tweak settings, Then they find it can not not be uninstalled. And installing a newer version over an older version they get install errors and if the newer version does install it can not be uninstalled by using Add remove programs .

I had a similar problem with GPU Tweak. Created a problem where my Asus Swift monitor went black and I got a message it was out
of range. It would no longer display 144Hz resolution and all I had was a black screen. Trying to change resolution on the monitor
had no effect, and the screen would go black after startup like yours.

Resolved the problem by booting into safe mode and uninstalling the display driver. I used Display Driver Uninstaller but I guess you
can uninstall it from the control panel.

I've had this happen with current and older versions of GPU Tweak. I've since uninstalled it and switched to MSI Afterburner.

RogueEric
Level 7
Booted into Windows using safe mode on the iGPU. Tried my best to delete GPU Tweak II but it will not die. It shows a bunch of errors when attempting to uninstall. I uninstalled the graphics driver and rebooted with the 980 Ti installed. That worked like a charm. I'm now back on the latest Nvidia driver and everything seems to be working. Thanks GPU Tweak for wasting an hour of my life.

had the same thing happen to me...safe mode-system restore. use AB now

Go into safe mode and rename the .exe in the tweak folder (eg. exe2)

petros228026
Level 7
Guys i have the exact same problem. The thing is i dont even see post screen or uefi... I ran the system with igpu, uninstalled the gpu tweak and installed gtx 980 ri again. But nothing happened. Still the same black screen. Plz hwlp me guys i payed 2 much for this one 4 months ago...

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk