cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the PG279Q Safe to buy?

AmyWalker730
Level 8
I've been excitingly waiting for the PG279Q and PG27AQ since they where announced, and now that they are finally here there have been no-end of reviews that raise manufacturing quality issues. It has me pretty scared to put $800 into a monitor that may suffer the same issues that so many others seem to have experienced.

I'm still excited enough to purchase one, but I'm not particularly enthusiastic if I'll have to pay $30 to return the screen because my model had defects. What sort of warranty and return policy are on the monitors? Am I safe to buy it?

For the life of me I just can't find out how to contact ROG/ASUS on this issue...
10 REPLIES 10

Nate152
Hello AmyWalker730

Welcome to the ROG forum !

They are both nice monitors to consider buying but your hardware will determine which one you should get. Please list your hardware and I'll help you decide which one would be better for you, the monitors have a 3-year warranty.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello AmyWalker730

Welcome to the ROG forum !

They are both nice monitors to consider buying but your hardware will determine which one you should get. Please list your hardware and I'll help you decide which one would be better for you, the monitors have a 3-year warranty.

Thank you. 🙂

Well I've been looking into it since before the PG278Q released. When I saw it I loved it, but then I quickly heard rumors that would turn out to become the IPS and UHD versions of the Swift. Last year I bought the Hero VII motherboard with the 4790k. Last week I bought a 980TI to complete my overhaul, but held off on a second card when I hesitated to buy one of the two monitors due to my concerns.

From the benchmarks I've seen, two 980 TIs and an OCed 4790k should be enough to run either monitor. My bigger concern is which would provide the bigger benefit. I've heard a lot of comments that claim the visual difference between a 1440p and 2160p resolution wasn't noticeable, but there seem to be just as many people that feel the added resolution made a big difference in the quality of the image.

I've been using a 1900x1200 60hz TN screen for the past eight years and have not been able to see the newer technologies such as 144hz or UHD, so my knowledge is sadly limited to what I read and hear.

xeromist
There have been people complaining for sure, but unfortunately we don't know how frequently this actually happens. Satisfied customers seldom take the time to register and post their experience so we only see a disproportionate number of complaints. One person posted the return rate of a German seller as about 5% but that may not reflect US retailers or worldwide as they may be different batches. ASUS does not publish this information so we will never know for sure.

If you are concerned, the best thing would be to wait for it to be available locally if you have a physical retailer near you. That way you can possibly see it in person and just take it back if you don't like it. Not sure if this will be an option but it would be the only way to know for sure.

Beyond that, keep in mind that playing in a dark room is both bad for your eyes and exacerbates any perceived bleeding. I've used monitors with bleeding before and in everyday use it wasn't a problem.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Nate152
Hello xeromist

Yeah light bleed is common with most if not all IPS displays, there's no getting around that and as you say it's more noticeable with a black background in a dark room. I like playing in the dark, I suppose that's why I'm having difficulty reading fine print up close. I could read fine print before I got into pc gaming now I need a magnifying glass. 😉

My monitor has a little light bleed but I don't notice it when playing games.

Juston_Gold
Level 7
Most of the PG279Q monitors shipping today has defective panels as already proven in the other thread. People have RMAed multiple times and still got defective units. The PG279Q is easily the biggest "Panel Lottery" in history.

I laugh at xeromist posting some random website as a statistic that only 5% are returned when in reality they're lying as they want to make money. All you have to do is read the newegg reviews and community forums and you will see for yourself most of them are defective as of today.

Anyone who denies this at this point is simply being ignorant.

Juston Gold wrote:
I laugh at xeromist posting some random website as a statistic that only 5% are returned when in reality they're lying as they want to make money.

They meaning me or the website? I'm not employed by ASUS and have no stake in its business. I clearly pointed out that it was hearsay and may not reflect the larger market. Also, just because their statistic doesn't align with your angry rhetoric doesn't mean they are lying. They may have simply received a different batch than those shipped to others. As an example, 1/4 of Newegg reviews are 5 star but over 1/2 of Amazon are 5 star which may indicate a difference in batches.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Legolas
Level 9
The company is trying hard to improve their quality control for PG279Q. I hope the product will be much better in the future. I love ASUS products.
Sincerely,
Legolas

Legolas wrote:
The company is trying hard to improve their quality control for PG279Q. I hope the product will be much better in the future. I love ASUS products.

As do I, I only buy Asus motherboards and monitors. This is an issue they need to address and if we don't speak about it they will do nothing.

Legolas wrote:

Same here. ASUS motherboards and screens have constantly been what I've always concluded to be the best, though I do have an affinity for EVGA video cards.