cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Max VIII Hero nVidia Video Card Unrecognized

hboswell60
Level 7
Greetings,

My Skylake build went super smooth except for the graphics card. I installed an EVGA GTX-770 (around 2 years old) - it's a
PCI-e 3.0/16 compatible card so I first installed it in the top PCIEX16 slot on the board - fans would turn, but the card was not
recognized. I played with every UEFI BIOS setting I could find - nothing. I tried the bottom slot too - same deal. I read about this MB
being hyper sensitive to installing updated BIOS (I have 1202 running) and carefully installing all the drivers - I did that meticulously
and still nothing. Then I tried the middle (PCIEX8) slot and the card was instantly recognized and works fine. Then I went into BIOS
and turned off the Intel graphics and started running everything off the 770 card.

But I still can't figure out why this card wouldn't work in the top slot. I thought it might be a power issue, but I'm using a Corsair
TX650M that's known to work perfectly - it's rated as 57amps on the 12v rail which is more than enough juice - it was running
the 770 fine in another computer. I suppose it could be a bad slot, but RMA is such a pain. Digging around I've found a lot of RMAs
on this board and earlier versions for graphic card issues - perhaps those folks didn't dig enough for a solution.

Other than a dead PCI slot, any ideas as to why the top slot (closest to the CPU) won't run this card? I think I'm missing something
obvious... My setup is a Nanoxia Gigantic case with be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 - no OC yet... runs cool and absolutely silent.

Cheers,
HB
10 REPLIES 10

Chino
Level 15

Here you go:

Nanoxia Deep Silence 6 Gigantic Case
Corsair TX650M PSU
Asus Maximus VIII Hero
Intel Core I7-6700K 4.00 GHz 8M
Arctic Silver 5
Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 Silentwings CPU Cooler
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8) DDR4/2666
EVGA GeForce GTX 770 (02G-P4-2774-KR)
SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB
LG WH16NS40 Bluray
Icydock with (2) WD Black 3TB and (2) WD Green 1TB Drives
Fresh install Win7-64 Pro

When I built up the board I ran it first in the Asus box (without the GPU) and when all looked good I installed it in the Nanoxia (again w/o the GPU). Everything worked perfectly.

The MB came with an early BIOS so I updated to 1102 and installed all the drivers from the Asustek website - that all went well too.

Then I transferred the GTX-770 from my old PC into the case installing it in the top (x16) slot. I had my monitor still plugged into the on-board Intel graphics so I could view the card and install the latest nVidia drivers. That's when I was surprised that I couldn't detect it.

I went through the forums for a fix and found a lot of information. So I set about trying various things. I installed 1202 BIOS along the way. I even pulled the cooler to check I had installed the chip correctly and didn't damage anything - everything looked great.

It's only when I put the board in slot 2 (middle) that it immediately identified the 770 - running at x8.

The few other cases I've read about where this occurred were not with this identical board, they were VII Ranger and VI Hero boards I think - in one case an RMA cured the problem; in another it was blamed on a bad CPU. Maybe that's true in this case as well, but before I start playing the RMA game I want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

The video card was running at x16 in my old PC, so I know that's not the problem. And the power supply was bench tested under load before the install and it's A-OK. So I'm stumped and asking folks with far more skill than I!

THANKS!!!

Chino
Level 15
Thank you.

Try this.
1. Remove your GPU.
2. Clear your CMOS.
3. Install your GPU in the first PCIe x16 slot.
4. Connect your monitor to your GPU.
5. Power on your system.

Do you see anything on the monitor?

Thx Chino... okay, ran the drill - GPU undetected.

I shut the machine down, took the GPU out of Slot 2, installed it in Slot 1, cleared CMOS, and rebooted. I did not enter BIOS, but let it boot to Windows. Nothing. I rebooted, went into BIOS and enabled the Intel graphics (plugged the monitor into the MB's HDMI so I could see what was happened), and tried to find the video card. It's not finding it. Back off, GPU back in Slot 2 and board is detected immediately.

I took a very close look at Slot 1 and see nothing mechanical that would cause a glitch - it's pristine. The fans on the GPU run in Slot 1, but that's about it.

What next?

hboswell60 wrote:

I shut the machine down, took the GPU out of Slot 2, installed it in Slot 1, cleared CMOS, and rebooted. I did not enter BIOS, but let it boot to Windws. Nothing.

Which QCODE is being displayed on the DEBUG LED? I also need you to look beside the 24 pin power connector to locate 4 QLEDs. Do any of them remain lit?

Sorry for the delay - just getting back to tackle this.

The display is showing AO with no QLEDs illuminated.

I moved the GPU back to the middle slot and fired it up - went right back to working, but I noticed in CPU-Z (pic attached) that information doesn't seem fully populated. The nVidia driver running on the 770 is v359, the latest I could find.

NemesisChild
Level 12
Can you access the Nvidia control panel within Windows Control Panel?
How old is that TX650M?
Do you have another graphic card that you can test?
Have you tried a different PCI-e power cable?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Yep - it shows up in WCP... it reports the bus as PCI Express X8 Gen 3

The PSU is about 2 years old. I built this box to take advantage of a larger case with space for more HDDs. The PSU was running this card in my older computer without issue and the card was in an X16 slot and working properly. Of course that doesn't mean it can't trash itself when moving over to the new case.

Unfortunately I only have the one card and none around I can borrow. I think the card is not the issue since it works great when I put it in the old computer.

Never thought about the cables!... I'll take a look at this straight away. Is there something I should look for in particular since the card is running at X8? Are there pins that are needed for X16? The way I installed the cable is I have a 6-pin in the first slot and an 8-pin in the second (if you're looking at the board). Each of the PCIe cable have a 6-pin connector with an extra 2-pin that clips on to make 8-pin.. I've been using the same two cables the same way whenever I switched the board - so I'll check this carefully.

NemesisChild - you rock! :cool::cool::cool:

It was a bad PCIe cable. Switched them out with spares and instant success. Reporting back x16 Gen 3 and error free! Thanks to you and Chino for sticking with me... and very happy I didn't RMA this board.

Best,
HB!