cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY Expected Battery Life

cuniac
Level 7
I just got my G751JY in the mail, and this thing is a beast. But, also seems to be a power hungry beast. While this was to be expected I just wanted to run some numbers here and see if anyone can tell me if this is normal. Laptop was at 100% charge, Unplugged and set to high performance in windows power options. I downloaded Fallout4 from stream. It took about 15min to download and when it was done the battery was at 73%. That seems like a huge jump.

Now I turned it to balanced and downloaded MGSV and it took less battery then but still about 12% more. Is this normal or could my battery be having issues?

It is this unit exactly, I have not switch any parts out, yet.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232849&cm_re=g751-_-34-232-849-_-Product
9 REPLIES 9

Clintlgm
Level 14
Yes, these notebooks are not know for the long running times on the battery, My G75 still gets about an hour and half with limited use that hasn't change much since July 2012. I wouldn't plan on doing much work/play without being plugged in.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Yes, these notebooks are not know for the long running times on the battery, My G75 still gets about an hour and half with limited use that hasn't change much since July 2012. I wouldn't plan on doing much work/play without being plugged in.

Ok. This was kinda what I expected but just seemed a little quick. I always have the charger with me anyway so its not a big deal.

I would let it cycle a couple of times it will probably improve maybe.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:

It's not 1990 anymore, cycle a couple times won't do anything good, optimisations and softwares are better equiped to improve battery life, and stop charging when fully charged... All those "old" tricks (like fully charge or drain it the first time) don't work on new battery and sometimes even hurt the battery life!

Hey, I have a G751 JY. And its a year old.. bt i'd say that its battery life is surprisingly good. I can watch videos for about 3-4 hrs, thats 3-4 full length TV shows(while downloading new episodes in the background) on full brightness(the time may increase if i reduce the brightness). and normal office work/surfing the net... the battery stands for 4+ hours.. depending on usage. battery wear level is 10% (HWMoniter). So i'd say the battery has served me pretty good for this past year... how good will it be in the coming years is yet to be seen. 🙂

I think you should try to go from 100 to 0 while watching movies or something... it would better determine the battery life.. compared to download streams.
Also I always keep my power profile as balanced even when plugged in, it is not recommended to keep it on high performance all the time, reason being on high performance the CPU is constantly on high state mode(throttled), where as on balanced it throttles only when required otherwise its in low state mode. this helps both, the battery and the longevity of your CPU life.

hope this helps 🙂

If you feel curious about the details of your laptop battery you can use software like Aida64 or alike where you can check wear level, capacity, voltage, etc.

Setiap aktivitas bisnis yang dilakukan oleh sebuah perusahaan pasti akan menghasilkan lembaran-lembaran kertas berupa dokumen atau file yang mana tersimpan informasi penting yang patut untuk diarsipkan. Sayangnya kegiatan kearsipan dan hal-hal yang berkenaan dengannya mungkin terasa sangat ribet dan terasa membosankan terlebih jika kita tidak memiliki sarana dan prasarana yang memadai. Karena itulah, pengguanaan media pengarsipan dokumen modern seperti mobile file sangat kami rekomendasikan terutama bagi perusahaan-perusahaan yang memang setiap harinya sering berurusan dengan aktivitas pengolahan dan penyimpanan informasi yang bersifat fisik. Penggunaan sarana pengarsipan seperti roll o'pack ini tentu dapat meningkatkan efisiensi kegiatan kearsipan baik dari segi tenaga, penggunaan ruang, dan biaya. Parameter efisiensi dalam hal biaya ini kami masukkan karena keunggulan yang dimiliki mobile file system dari segi ketahanan fisik yang membuatnya bisa digunakan dalam jangka waktu yang jauh lebih lama jika dibandingkan media pengarsipan biasa.

Banyak pihak perusahaan mungkin lebih memilih perangkat yang bersifat mobile, bukan hanya mudah untuk dipindah-pindahkan kemana saja, akan tetapi juga furniture yang mudah untuk dipasang dan dibongkar. Media pengarsipan mobile file system yang sedang kami bicarakan disini merupakan sebuah perangkat furniture yang dapat menjawab kebutuhan siapa saja yang menginginkan kepraktisan dalam melakukan aktivitas pengarsipan berkas dokumen dimana penempatannya juga tidak memakan space yang besar. Sebelum membeli perangkat ini tentu terlebih dahulu Anda harus berkonsultasi dengan para vendor atau toko jual mobile file terdekat di kawasan tempat Anda tinggal agar nantinya Anda mendapatkan produk dengan spesifikasi yang sesuai dengan kebutuhan di perusahaan Anda. Jika Anda hanya seorang pegawai yaAndang ditugaskan untuk mencari perangkat roll o pack ini maka sebaiknya Anda harus bertanya kepada pihak manajemen keuangan perusahaan Anda mengenai berapa besar budget yang dialokasikan untuk pengadaan perangkat pengarsipan yang praktis ini.

Are you sure that there were not are background tasks or apps? For example, sometimes my Slack starts use 100% CPU in background without any reason...

Clintlgm wrote:

It's not 1990 anymore, cycle a couple times won't do anything good, optimisations and softwares are better equiped to improve battery life, and stop charging when fully charged... All those "old" tricks (like fully charge or drain it the first time) don't work on new battery and sometimes even hurt the battery life!

bhaviljain68
Level 7
Hey, I have a G751 JY. And its a year old.. bt i'd say that its battery life is surprisingly good. I can watch videos for about 3-4 hrs, that 3-4 full length TV shows(while downloading new episodes in the background) on full brightness(the time may increase if i reduce the brightness). and normal office work/surfing the net... the battery stands for 4+ hours.. depending on usage. battery wear level is 10% (HWMoniter). So i'd say the battery has served me pretty good for this past year... how good will it be in the coming years is yet to be seen. 🙂

I think you should try to go from 100 to 0 while watching movies or something... it would better determine the battery life.. compared to download streams.