Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    AntiMatter Guru ROG Array chrsplmr's Avatar

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Qwinn PC Specs
    Qwinn PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme - BIOS 3301
    Processor5930K @ 4.4 GHz Adaptive 1.27v / 4.2 Ghz cache Offset +0.27v / Input 1.92v / LLC7
    Memory (part number)G.Skill 32gb DDR4-2666Mhz 15-15-15-35-CR2 1.2v at XMP settings
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte Gaming G1 980Ti OC to 1455Mhz Core 8000Mhz memory at Stock Voltage
    Graphics Card #2Gigabyte Gaming G1 980Ti SLI
    MonitorROG Swift PG278Q
    Storage #1Intel 750 PCIe 1.2TB
    Storage #2Sandisk Ultra II 960GB SSD
    CPU CoolerThermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate (360" rad AIO)
    CaseThermalTake v71 Full Tower
    Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 1200 P2
    Keyboard Saitek Eclipse II
    Mouse Razer A5090 Master of Destiny
    OS Windows 10 Professional 64 bit Build 10586

I did see that, thanks. I got some use of it, but the numbers seem specific to the 5960X, so I didn't rely overly on it.

Reading it again though, it does answer the question in the title of this thread, mainly, yes, overclock processor *then* try to turn on XMP for the memory.
    Last edited by Qwinn; 12-04-2015 at 01:40 AM.

AntiMatter Guru ROG Array chrsplmr's Avatar

Think of all you have read before you put your rig together and even afterward that made absolutely no sense to you at all.
    Now those same article and guides will make more and more sense.
    I always look at it as the W-U drawer. It doesn't make sense, but I file it.
    Then one day you come across a piece of information and Poof !! You reach into your W-U drawer and put all the pieces together. .c.

Qwinn PC Specs
    Processor5930K @ 4.4 GHz Adaptive 1.27v / 4.2 Ghz cache Offset +0.27v / Input 1.92v / LLC7
    Memory (part number)G.Skill 32gb DDR4-2666Mhz 15-15-15-35-CR2 1.2v at XMP settings
    Graphics Card #1Gigabyte Gaming G1 980Ti OC to 1455Mhz Core 8000Mhz memory at Stock Voltage
    MonitorROG Swift PG278Q

Looking at that top real-bench result you posted, the top score for 5930K, the guy's score in the first phase, Image Editing, is insane, almost twice what I scored. The other scores are very similar, and I even got higher OpenCL scores.

I can't imagine that a mere 200Mhz processor frequency boost could result in that huge a disparity in the image editing score. Maybe the tighter timings? I don't know much about memory tuning at all yet, but maybe it's the Command rate 2 vs. 1?

As stated previously, my XMP is for 2666. I don't have any real interest in overclocking that to higher frequency, but I could be interested in trying to tighten the timings up. Is there a guide out there for how to tune timings *without* really caring much about keeping the frequency high? Most guides I've seen seems focused on just getting a 3000+ frequency XMP working.

Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 4025MHz 17-17-17-39-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba OCZ VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1600w Titanium
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse Razer Basilisk
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U

I've never fooled with the ram much, you can tighten up the timings as you say and gain a little. Loosening the timings for a higher frequency really doesn't gain anything. I don't think there is a ram overclocking guide here on the forum and you know I was thinking earlier about starting a thread on it.

I'd like to share my overclock with you Qwinn.

My Maximus V Extreme 3770k and 16 GB Trident X, it's older but it's still a great performer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.0GHz.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	159.2 KB 
ID:	53946
    Last edited by Nate152; 12-04-2015 at 03:01 AM.

Qwinn PC Specs
    MonitorROG Swift PG278Q

Ye gods, 5.0Ghz! Nice! Is that completely stable? 1.464 vcore seems pretty high, does that chip have higher tolerance than Haswell-E, or are you just a very brave soul?

I'm currently researching how to improve image editing score in Realbench. My other 3 scores are in line with the highest scores on the leaderboard, but I'm simply getting pummeled in that specific score, and I can't help but suspect there's more to it than just a 200 Mhz overclock and slightly faster memory timings to explain it.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Qwinn View Post
    I did see that, thanks. I got some use of it, but the numbers seem specific to the 5960X, so I didn't rely overly on it.

Reading it again though, it does answer the question in the title of this thread, mainly, yes, overclock processor *then* try to turn on XMP for the memory.
    LOL My experience has been to do it the other way round get the kit stable then try overclocking, least with the 3 Corsair Kits I've tried.

One thing I will say is that Realbench is pants for stability testing, I could run it all day then 10mins of OCCT CPU testing and the system fall flat on its backside with BSOD.

I think its good for memory testing as it checks the Hash marks per pass and can do runs on the full amount of your ram though tbh I'm not sure if HCI memtest is better using multiple instances, but OCCT is definitely I find a more reliable stress test and Prime95 is to be avoided as it has no problems about melting your cpu under certain circumstances.

OCCT is easy to use too and has accurate temp monitoring and a thermal safety you can set that will terminate a test if the CPU goes over a set temp.

I thought my system was finally stable because I made the error of trusting Realbench instead of sticking with OCCT which I've used for sometime, only to find I was getting BSOD and Ram related issues and the AE Q-Code problem is back again, something I thought I'd fixed.

As far as voltages go, there's no real info from intel as to what the system agent voltage range is, me so far I've had to use 1.2-1.26v but then just when I think I have everything settled I'll get a BSOD and a ram related windows error or a AE Q-Code and windows will stop booting, and I've played Fallout 4 on it for days etc no probs then poof its off again.

I would say TBH providing you've run HCI Memtest with 2048 entered into each one and run it multiple time upto about what you have ram, leave it to do 400% coverage and its passed, and you've run OCCT CPU test on a large data set for about 2hrs and everything is fine I'd not touch it.

If you want to do a static overclock you need to turn off Speedstep and Turbo in CPU power management so you get (I'll laugh now) a stable Vcore, and CPU frequency.

Cache voltage to my knowledge runs in about the same safe range as the CPU and 1.2v on my board is auto volted to the same and TBH, overclocking the cache I'm told won't give you any massive speedboost so I've just left mine on stock.

So far I've not been able to get my cpu to 4.5GHZ, with my Ram at 3000mhz on a 125mhz strap.

I've read in a few places that Adaptive volting doesn't work on a 125Mhz strap, though tbh I've seen no evidence of this as I've tried it and it seemed to work okie for me, though no matter what type of volting I try with this board its impossible to get a stable Vcore, as the board will just decide to add 0.120v (which is massive) to any figure I put in Vcore when under load.

This messes up my temps big time, and stops me getting above 4.4Ghz as the Temps and voltages just go crazy, I've had it push itself to 1.39v which is insane, under Non linpack testing.

As I've said providing you've run good stress testing and memory tests I'd leave it, unless you wanted to try a static overclock and shave off some voltages or try for 4.6GHZ.

But frankly the battle with this board never seems to end and neither do the issues with it.

And #1 thing any overclocker wants is a stable Vcore this board doesn't do it, and LLC and Turbo seem to do nothing on or off, level 1 or level 9.

As far as the Vcore goes I might as well close my eyes and put in a random number seeing as the board just goes and adds 0.120v on its own, its become a case of finding a lower idle voltage that doesn't crash the system, and that you can live with, with the extra 0.120v the board slams you with under load and messes up your efforts completely.

I'll never recommend this board just for that reason alone.

Nate152 PC Specs
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Mouse Razer Basilisk

Intel says the max voltage for the 3770k is 1.52v. It's game stable, I know it wouldn't pass the realbench benchmark, the image editing test I think it is needs a lot of voltage or I fail with handbrake. I asked them about the 5930k too and they said 1.30v, but if you have good cooling and keep temps under control you can go higher with the voltage. This is my 2nd 3770k, the first one I had up to 1.75v and couldn't get 5.0GHz stable and finally fried it at 1.80 or 1.90v, so I would think as long as you keep temps under control you'd be safe to go up to 1.40v - 1.45v. Normally when realbench hits 90c on the stress test your gaming temps are anywhere from 65c-75c which is fine so to me you have a little more room for overclocking.

My gaming temps are 70c - 75c sometimes a little higher sometimes a little lower depending on the room temp.

Nate152 PC Specs
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Mouse Razer Basilisk

You might find this interesting. Here is a build I helped a member with and further down the page I talk about overclocking the 5930k with 1.45v.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...-Extreme/page2

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Unfortunately its not a R5E which is what I'm having the issues with especially the 'Okie here's a extra 0.120v on whatever you set as your Vcore at' issue which is driving me insane.

As for safe voltage, I'd be stuffed already as my system autovolts itself above what I set at 1.21v to 1.32v underload no idea, never had this issue with any Gigabyte board I've had just this Board and it drives me nuts for obvious reasons, plus the other fun and games I've had with it.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast