cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major performance issues with my new G751JT

Ewalk
Level 7
I bought this laptop a few months ago (LINK). The reviews are great, claiming it can run modern games without a hitch. That's all gravy because I want it mostly so I could run my older games really well, and maybe occasionally a higher end game.

At first that's what it seemed like I got. I would get 250-300 fps in CS:GO, which is the main game I got it for. As the months went by that number steadily dropped. It got to the point where the FPS would start to spike below 100 in 5v5 matches and I could really feel it affecting my gameplay. It will still get up to 300 fps if I'm just staring at a wall doing nothing. In crowded, smaller servers it often bogs down to around 20-30 fps and single digit spikes. It's like the damn thing is having a seizure! This is completely unacceptable. Something is going seriously wrong.

Anyway, so yesterday I reinstalled Win 8.1 on my new SSD. I only installed the core drivers and left out most of the bloat that came on it from the factory. This has helped noticeably with the performance overall but CS:GO will still drop very low at times like it did before. I've been monitoring the core temperatures and they got up to just over 70c max while it was having one of its seizures (GPU only got to 56c). The way it builds up and seems to get worse and worse over time lends me to believe it's an over-heating issue... but why would it overheat playing an older game like CS? It should be running this game no sweat.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've been scouring the web for a fix and haven't found much. I wanted to blame it on Windows 8 but I haven't been able to find anyone else having this much of an issue with performance. So I've sorta run out of ideas.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

smallj53
Level 7
Hi there,

I am surprised that no one is willing to help you out. You might have even given up on seeing if there is an answer to your problem on this forum. Anyway I'll give it a go.

Your problem does not seem to be heat related. 70 degrees Celsius is about average for my G751jy. The fact you reinstalled the OS shows the level of your commitment to finding a solution and also how you are running out of ideas. But there are still options and things to try.

What other software is running while you game? Are you sure some process is not cutting in and hogging cycles? Before you start to game, shut everything down besides the game, unload every unnecessary process and service. Google how to do this. Uninstall every bit of software besides the games you like to play if you have to.

Is your problem internet related? Are you sure the game is set up properly? Better still, test your internet and make sure it is not having issues.

Last, try LOTS of games. Do you get the same problems in all of them? Are you sure your graphics driver is not acting up? I had issues with my skyrim and some of the latest Nvidia drivers. I had to install a year old nvidia driver to sort some of that out. (enb issues, low frame rate, in fact my modded skyrim is currently upchucking and barfing in the teens on its frame rate and I have a 980m!)

Anyway some ideas. Of course you still have your warranty...

fiido
Level 7
Few possibilities are:
1. Thermal throttling. Since you stated your temp is fairly low, this may not be an issue. However, still.. please update to the latest BIOS F/W
2. Memory Paging. Those seizures could be worst case cache misses, or possible error correction happening on-the-fly. Either your MEM is too low or you may possibly have a bad RAM. (get RAM diagnosis - free softwares)
3. GPU driver. Update to the latest Grpahic driver.

Thanks for your replies, guys. At this point I've conceded that for whatever reason this laptop just simply can not run cs at the level I was hoping. After running some benchmarks (3Dmark firestrike) it seems my laptop performs right in line with a stock G751JT and I was able to do a bit of GPU OCing and get it up higher, like some of the other 970m owners have posted here, but I chose not to keep the OC settings. From what I've been reading CS:GO doesn't really rely on the GPU much anyway and is more CPU intensive. If this is true then it seems a bit weird that my CPU (and GPU) temps never get that high yet the game still chops up at times and nearly completely seizes up at other times.

In the mean time I've been able to increase performance (FPS) to a tolerable level by optimizing some more graphics driver settings and game settings, and lowering ingame resolution. All of this has help significantly but it is still basically unplayable in a more crowded server with lots of action. Very disappointing. I still feel like something is not right. Like there is some strange bottleneck going on that is not directly CPU/GPU related.

@fiido Thanks for the reply! I have the latest BIOS from Asus website. I ran Windows Diagnostic and found no memory errors (if you were referring to a specific software I couldn't find it). GPU drivers are all up to date.

aeolisio
Level 10
might want to try these suggestions even though its not a laptop
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2537859/fps-drops-choppy-stuttering-evga-970-gpu-4670k-cpu-8g...
3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]