cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Its official only 2 samsung ssd drives will work with g752

Jakov19951995
Level 7
Asus confirmed to my service place only 2 ssds work with g752 normaly so all hope is lost for now since these guys that tried to put a new kingston M.2 2280 Pcie 240 gb ssd are profesionals and they couldnt do it they dident try the option to install the system on hard then to clone it since they dident want to risk warrenty on the ssd 🙂
17 REPLIES 17

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
fyi.

If you are referring to post #14 by jaydee79 below (thanks to jaydee79 for providing it by the way), these are normally just the 'officially approved' SSDs that ASUS is shipping with the G752VT (and some other models?).

It's possible that other SSDs will work, but 'officially' ASUS support wouldn't be able to guarantee or recommend them (since we probably don't have more information about those drives right now either way).

Anyway, since those 2 'approved' drives are NVME M.2 SSDs, you would want to look at other NVME M.2 SSDs for upgrades, but as we're hearing, it doesn't sound like it may be working that smoothly right now, so it's a good idea to be prepared in case there are any problems.
Hopefully we can get more information from our end or others soon though.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?79040-G752VL-with-the-new-SAMSUNG-950-PRO-M-2-512GB-PCI-Ex...

jaydee79 wrote:
Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
My name is DELETED and it is my pleasure to help you with your problem.

Unfortunately I am afraid that this SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB PCI-Express 3.0 SSD hasn't been tested on this G752VL notebook, so we couldn't completely ensure the compatibility.
Currently the SSDs have been tested on this notebook are SAMSUNG/MZVPV256HDGL-00000 and SAMSUNG/MZVPV512HDGL-00000
G752VT SSD M2 2280, for your reference.

Oddly, I purchased a 951 based on this note, and it doesn't work. I started a tech support chat yesterday but had it interrupted. But, here's how it started out:

First off I’d like to apologize for your inconvenience. I will be more than happy to advise you.11:10 pm
Please be advised that its the Samsung 950 that is compatible as oppose to the SM951 what you confirmed in the above link provided

Great...um...now what?!

JustinThyme
Level 13
Welcome to the ROG forums.
Which SM951 did you purchase, there are 2 versions AHCI and NVMe. The 256GB NVMe is what was in my G752JY-DH72 when I bought it and subsequently upgraded to the 512GB 950 pro. Which machine did you try it in and how did you try to do it...ie clone fresh install etc.

The more specifics you provide the better your chances at a resolution.:cool:

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

I have the stripped down Best Buy version of the G752VL...needed a replacement mobile work station fast, so had to get what was there.

For the SSD, I purchased the 256 GB NVMe version, which was what was specified in the support chat I initially referenced here. Just got off chat with tech support, was told I need to update my bios from V 208 to 214, and that should resolve the issue. Stay tuned...

JustinThyme
Level 13
Just be aware that when it didnt come with the SSD out of the box that it can be a bit tricky getting it to work. There are several threads addressing just how to get the Intel IRST drivers loaded and how to partition the disk for UEFI boot. Not as easy as just cloning the spinner and restarting.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Well now I, as a consumer who's out a lot of cash, am ticked.

I did the BIOS update as directed...the 951 drive is still not recognized.

Here is the response from the chat person I got just now:

"Shadeene R.
Very sorry, Matt.

Dismantling the computer and removing its internal components is not supported over chat/phone Technical Support. Matt, you can seek the help from a certified computer technician or computer shop for assistance. Best Buy happens to be an Authorized Service Provider of ASUS. They have all the tools and resources to service your PC, at your convenience."

Are you kidding me? It's a brand new laptop not recognizing a DRIVE that it is SOLD as supporting. Now I'm pissed.

mpedersen wrote:
Well now I, as a consumer who's out a lot of cash, am ticked.

I did the BIOS update as directed...the 951 drive is still not recognized.

Here is the response from the chat person I got just now:

"Shadeene R.
Very sorry, Matt.

Dismantling the computer and removing its internal components is not supported over chat/phone Technical Support. Matt, you can seek the help from a certified computer technician or computer shop for assistance. Best Buy happens to be an Authorized Service Provider of ASUS. They have all the tools and resources to service your PC, at your convenience."

Are you kidding me? It's a brand new laptop not recognizing a DRIVE that it is SOLD as supporting. Now I'm pissed.

I do have exactly this drive, works like a charm, you might have a unit defect, tried to connect to second pcie port?

golomb13 wrote:
I do have exactly this drive, works like a charm, you might have a unit defect, tried to connect to second pcie port?

Good point Golomb13. I will try that. Surprised Tech Support can't even be bothered to mention something like that.

""

Tech support Chat's solution at this point is for me to send the laptop back; they set up a "RMA". I'm not exactly in a position to be without my work laptop for a week again! Oh, and apparently "MY" warranty requires that "I" pay for the shipping to and from....

Golomb13, your very wise advice was unfruitful - no luck with the 951 in either slot.

So now, I either suck it up and use the laptop without the SSD and return the SSD, I take it back to best buy and see what they do, I return the laptop and go with something else and spend another 4-5 days reconstituting all the data and software, or I send my laptop off to ASUS on my own dime for them to *probably* tell me nothing is wrong and that upgrading is at my own peril...

Wow...I heard a ton of great things from fellow seasoned veteran professionals when It old them I purchased an ASUS. Right now, I'm wondering if they're all paid spokespersons....