Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by mpedersen View Post
    Tech support Chat's solution at this point is for me to send the laptop back; they set up a "RMA". I'm not exactly in a position to be without my work laptop for a week again! Oh, and apparently "MY" warranty requires that "I" pay for the shipping to and from....

Golomb13, your very wise advice was unfruitful - no luck with the 951 in either slot.

So now, I either suck it up and use the laptop without the SSD and return the SSD, I take it back to best buy and see what they do, I return the laptop and go with something else and spend another 4-5 days reconstituting all the data and software, or I send my laptop off to ASUS on my own dime for them to *probably* tell me nothing is wrong and that upgrading is at my own peril...

Wow...I heard a ton of great things from fellow seasoned veteran professionals when It old them I purchased an ASUS. Right now, I'm wondering if they're all paid spokespersons....
    Can you please write down exact name of drive you bought, with serial number.

Thank you!

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

Tech support Chat's solution at this point is for me to send the laptop back; they set up a "RMA". I'm not exactly in a position to be without my work laptop for a week again! Oh, and apparently "MY" warranty requires that "I" pay for the shipping to and from....

Golomb13, your very wise advice was unfruitful - no luck with the 951 in either slot.

So now, I either suck it up and use the laptop without the SSD and return the SSD, I take it back to best buy and see what they do, I return the laptop and go with something else and spend another 4-5 days reconstituting all the data and software, or I send my laptop off to ASUS on my own dime for them to *probably* tell me nothing is wrong and that upgrading is at my own peril...

Wow...I heard a ton of great things from fellow seasoned veteran professionals when It old them I purchased an ASUS. Right now, I'm wondering if they're all paid spokespersons....
    You can return it to Best Buy.

As asked by golomb13 please post the exact model number to confirm you have the correct drive A single letter separates NVMe from AHCI. First letters tell the story. This is a very common mistake by both the consumer and the supplier.

MZVP=NVME
    MZHP=AHCI

As stated already its a bit tricky to get it installed when the original configuration was not set up for it. You cant just throw it in and boot to the OS and everything is peachy.
    First thing before you go any further with even bothering to clone etc........
    Is the drive seen in the BIOS? If not then its there is no point going further. Its either the MOBOs M2 controller or the SSD itself. You can elect to return either or both, that your decision to make.
    If it is seen in the BIOS then report back and we will try and help you one step at a time.

What I can tell you is that you are not going to clone the original spinner right over to the SSD. If the bios recognizes the SSD then you will have to follow one of the many guides of how to Set this up for UEFI boot and how to install the Intel RST drivers onto a USB drive along with a clean install of windows and point the install to those drivers.

If you are just booting to the OS and not seeing the drive without installing the Intel RST drivers, that's pretty much expected and not a short coming of either. At this point we don't really know what direction to point you in as all I see is disdain and this doesn't work with no explanation of what you have tried.

A small bit of advice that my Grandmother always told me.
    "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar"
    Last edited by JustinThyme; 01-19-2016 at 03:48 PM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by golomb13 View Post
    Can you please write down exact name of drive you bought, with serial number.

Thank you!
    The drive purchased was: Samsung SM951 256GB NVMe MZVPV256HDGL-00000 M.2 80mm PCIe 3.0 x4 SSD - OEM. I can verify that I was sent the correct SSD. This was the drive specified at the opening of this thread in the tech support quoted:

"Unfortunately I am afraid that this SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB PCI-Express 3.0 SSD hasn't been tested on this G752VL notebook, so we couldn't completely ensure the compatibility. Currently the SSDs have been tested on this notebook are SAMSUNG/MZVPV256HDGL-00000 and SAMSUNG/MZVPV512HDGL-00000"
    Forgive the overly cautious question, but why do you need the Serial Number?

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    You can return it to Best Buy.
    That may be the direction this is all headed, and if that's the case, well, I will have wasted 2 weeks of my work life into this machine.

As asked by golomb13 please post the exact model number to confirm you have the correct drive A single letter separates NVMe from AHCI. First letters tell the story. This is a very common mistake by both the consumer and the supplier.

MZVP=NVME
    MZHP=AHCI
    Please see above.

As stated already its a bit tricky to get it installed when the original configuration was not set up for it. You cant just throw it in and boot to the OS and everything is peachy.
    First thing before you go any further with even bothering to clone etc........
    Is the drive seen in the BIOS? If not then its there is no point going further. Its either the MOBOs M2 controller or the SSD itself. You can elect to return either or both, that your decision to make.
    Thanks, I will give this a look.

If it is seen in the BIOS then report back and we will try and help you one step at a time.
    Thanks, appreciated.

What I can tell you is that you are not going to clone the original spinner right over to the SSD. If the bios recognizes the SSD then you will have to follow one of the many guides of how to Set this up for UEFI boot and how to install the Intel RST drivers onto a USB drive along with a clean install of windows and point the install to those drivers.
    Understood, but I'm not exactly excited about that prospect.

If you are just booting to the OS and not seeing the drive without installing the Intel RST drivers, that's pretty much expected and not a short coming of either.
    Really? IDK...this is the first time I've had such an issue like this, or come across something this finnicky and picky. I've had to be my own tech support for years (being a remote employee). I'll be very honest here; I expected the installation of a M.2 SSD to be about as difficult as it is to upgrade RAM. That's kinda the whole point of the design, right? So long as you buy the right RAM, it should work (and it does work on this machine). I'm getting the impression that there is NOT a single M.2 SSD out there that I could install in this model G752 and expect it to simply be recognized and work. That's an extreme disappointment, and yes, I do feel a bit mislead by ASUS, who marketed this as having the two M.2 slots for easy upgrade.

At this point we don't really know what direction to point you in as all I see is disdain and this doesn't work with no explanation of what you have tried.

A small bit of advice that my Grandmother always told me.
    "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar"
    I realize there are at lot of ASUS fans here on this forum, so to come on complaining certainly isn't going to buy me lots of friends. I realize there are also many people more skilled and knowledgeable here as well. I'm a new ASUS owner, and well, I'm not impressed. I don't believe this simply expansion, which the laptop is designed for, should require so much technical expertise.

Justin, I should note, I've read elsewhere in the forums here that only the AHCI drives work, despite these machines supposedly being here with NVME support....if that's the case, well, why shouldn't I be incredibly frustrated? Then I've read that this drive, which I purchased, is the exact drive that ships in the model variations that sell with the M.2 installed?

There seems to be nothing but endless conflicting information here, but that all stems from ASUS simply not making a product that works as advertised and not having tech support people which are able to provide consistent information, nevermind an actual fix.. My sour grapes certainly aren't directed at the users here who try to "help"...but why should I have to rely on the benevolence of ASUS's CUSTOMERS to support their product on their behalf? I expect better out of a company.

As a general consumer, and as a person who needs an out of the box higher-end laptop for the work I do, and unfortunately needed it FAST, I didn't have the luxury of days of researching, nor ordering and waiting for the "ideal" machine to arrive. It's not my job to tinker and tweak this machine...I'm not a gamer looking to eek out every last ounce of performance.

The Best Buy version of the G752VL (G752VL-BHI7N32) is what I got, and from everything I've seen, it is terribly stripped down (this machine is slower than the 4 year old Samsung Laptop that died). As near as I can tell, from reading after the fact, it is lame 5400 RPM hard drive this machine ships with at the root of my performance woes. I sat on this machine for 5 days, hemming and hawing about returning it, but upon doing my research into the specs of the machine, made the conscious decision that "Oh, just install a M.2 drive to run the OS and some software, upgrade the ram (done in 30 seconds, no problems) and this machine should work well.". Looks like I talked myself into one big headache and disappointment, for now...

ROG Member Array

AND THE UPDATE...

it does show up in the BIOS.

JustinThyme PC Specs
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    OS Win10 Pro 1809

AND THE UPDATE...

If it shows up in the bios then proceed here
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...l=1#post557798

i realize this is more work than some are prepared to undertake. There are very few that actually do not have at least the 128GB M2 already installed which makes it a lot easier. you just use the samsung migration tool to clone the drive and you are done. I wish all things were plug and play easy but when you are on the cutting edge of technology often there are prices to pay and workarounds that have to be done. Another alternative is to take it all to Geek Squad as best buy and tell them what you want. They can most likely handle it but will charge you more than the drive is worth. It is a bit shady the way they market these for the same price you can get it elsewhere and not be stripped down.

One other thing is make sure CSM is disabled in your bios.

A little patience and we will get you there. Im sure there are others who will jump in depending who is online.

If not it may be worth your time to just return the BB version and order one at many places online for a better price that already has the SSD.
    Last edited by JustinThyme; 01-20-2016 at 03:04 AM.

ROG Member Array

If it shows up in the bios then proceed here
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...l=1#post557798

If not it may be worth your time to just return the BB version and order one at many places online for a better price that already has the SSD.
    Well at this point I'm rather committed to making this one work...I simply cannot afford the downtime of being without a machine, nor spending days again reconstituting everything from the backups! Thanks for the link, I'll give that a look and report back. At this point, I'd simply be happy enough to have the drive usable for storage....that at least would be something.

JustinThyme PC Specs
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    OS Win10 Pro 1809

Well at this point I'm rather committed to making this one work...I simply cannot afford the downtime of being without a machine, nor spending days again reconstituting everything from the backups! Thanks for the link, I'll give that a look and report back. At this point, I'd simply be happy enough to have the drive usable for storage....that at least would be something.
    Its also worth the read to go through the sticky

You can also get all the software and most of the drivers you need on you default drive C:\eSupport\eDriver
    May be a good idea to copy all of that to its own jump drive for future use.

Once you get this working it will make that 5400rpm spinnner seem like loading from paper and pencil. Once its all set up and optomized you should get at least 10x the speed.

For what its worth I have the G752JY-DH72 that came with the exact drive you bought. Here is the benchmark right out of the box, no update nothing. Started the brand new machine, went though initial set up, downloaded the crystal marks tool and ran the benchmark.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...l=1#post564090
    Last edited by JustinThyme; 01-20-2016 at 03:44 AM.

ROG Member Array

AND THE UPDATE...

So it works as it should, for clear windows installation, load intel raid drivers, and UNPLUG HDD.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2