cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power issues with the GL552JX (often not powering up)

vekien
Level 7
Resolution:
- Required RMA to replace Motherboard and a Hard Drive chipboard or some other device related to hard drives.

Hello,

I have an GL552JX (https://www.asus.com/uk/Notebooks/GL552JX/). I bought it exactly two weeks ago.

It has now become completely unresponsive, the power button does nothing, doesn't turn on at all.

Things I've tried:

- Plugged in + Battery + Hold power button for 30, 45, 60, 90 seconds
- Plugged in + Removed Battery + Hold power button for 30, 45, 60, 90 seconds
- Unplugged + Removed Battery + Hold power button for 30, 45, 60, 90 seconds
- Unplugged + Battery + Hold power button for 30, 45, 60, 90 seconds
- Hold laptop upside down, try turn on, with/without battery/unplugged/plugged in
- Charge for 12 hours, nothing
- Leave unplugged for 6 hours, nothing
- Try different plug sockets in the house
- Try an outside power generator

These were all found by Googling issues with devices in the same line, a fair amount of them said it is a Motherboard issue.

The first time it happened, I left it to charge for 6 hours, and still nothing. I then had it unplugged for 6 hours and then plugged it in and it turned on. Didn't work a second time.

When problem starts, light is orange, then turns green after about 30-40 minutes of being on charge. Blinks when lid open, solid when lid closed.

Edit 1: I had to RMA it.

Edit 2: RMA status on Asus says nothing and their phone support was horrible, but I phoned "letmerepair" the company doing it immediately informed what was happening, it required a motherboard replacement.

Edit 3: The RMA has completed. It was done by a company in Scotland called "LetMeRepair". They were very prompt and easy to talk to when I required updates. I sent it off on the 4th and it arrived back on the 31st December. on the 11th I called ASUS for an update, they were 100% useless, rubbish service and the guy didn't understand anything, absolute crap. So then I phoned LetMeRepair and got an update in less than 1 minute. By the 11th they were waiting for a motherboard replacement. By the 18th it had its motherboard replacement but had failed some tests? Unsure what tests. It was then Christmas and shortly after I got a response back saying it will be delivered back. It arrived showing replacement of Motherboard and a Hard Drive chip (unsure specifications). I have only had it a couple days but no issues trying to replicate the power issue, it is booting on all the time, even when it had a 5% critical (and did shut down once it got onto windows as expected).

Original Backstory post:

In the first few days I was playing a game on it and forgot to plug it in, so it died from running out of battery. I then plugged it in and tried to turn it on but it refused to start, nothing happened. Press power button = nothing, unresponsive... So I looked up a bunch of stuff on my gf's laptop and tried a bunch of solutions, but nothing worked. I eventually left it charging for 24 hours and it came back on. Success.....

...Now, last night I was working and using the battery alone, it had around 50% left and I did shutdown. I come to it this morning and it is completely unresponsive again, power on does nothing. I often do work on it before bed, and do a full shutdown, and it has worked before, so it feels random....

When I first plugged it in I had an orange AC blinking light (slow blink), with the lid closed it is a solid orange light (no blinking). After about 3 hours it changed to a green light (same situation: lid open = blinks, lid closed = solid, no idea what this means).

After around 5 hours of charge, it still is completely unresponsive....

What would cause this? It is mega frustrating and I really don't want to send it back if something can be tested first. I am thinking it might be an issue with Windows fast boot, and will try turning this off in the bios the next time I can get it to power up..

Right now I have a laptop that is unresponsive, 😞
6 REPLIES 6

Corporal
Level 9
Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds, it will disconnect the battery circuit and may fix your issue.

Corporal wrote:
Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds, it will disconnect the battery circuit and may fix your issue.

Hi Corporal,

I tried this but unfortunately it does not seem to work. I tried 30, 45 and 60 seconds, but the laptop still is unresponsive.

thank you!

AsSaSsInJ0HN
Level 7
Remove battery . Unplug all devices . Press and hold power button for aroung 40 seconds.

AsSaSsInJ0HN wrote:
Remove battery . Unplug all devices . Press and hold power button for aroung 40 seconds.

Hello,

I tried this, but unfortunately it did not work. I think I tried almost everything and a guy on the ASUS chat said it had to be RMA'd, so I sent it in last Friday to be looked at.

Incase this pops up in a Google Search I will update the OP.

I've updated original post with RMA status, in case this thread appears on Google results in future.

Times:
- RMA'd on 4th December
- Motherboard waiting on 11th December
- Testing on 18th December
- Returned 31st December (no activity during Christmas week)

The outcome:
- Required RMA
- RMA replaced motherboard and some HHD chip/part
- RMA done by "LetMeRepair", excellent customer service
- Asus customer service was absolute trash, worst I've ever been through, guy was so bad, waste of time.

Laptop seems OK, was going to be a Christmas present... unfortunately was not in time..

Trust in Asus products after this is super low. Good luck to anyone who buys this model.

Julskey
Level 10
I have a similar issue with an asus laptop I bought from bestbuy. In less than 4 months, the screen flickered and just went blank. When you press the power button all 5 indicators light just light and no activity on hdd indicator light. Returned it to bestbuy and they repaired it in about 2 weeks. The motherboard need replacement.

This type of problem can happen anytime to any laptop brand even brand new ones. You will never know when an electronic device would fail. That is why you have a warranty.