cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG348Q 34 inch curved g sync release date?

jadedzero
Level 7
Hi folks!

Last I heard was that this monitor would be releasing in December 2015. I was curious if anyone knew more information.

Thanks!
🙂
148 REPLIES 148

Korth
Level 14
Early production runs of curved panels had higher-than-expected defect rates. The manufacturing process is still expensive and undergoing refinement, I expect monitors of this type to be *very* expensive for a while, factory retooling usually takes about 3 months or so to work out all the process bugs.

I want a curved 34 (or larger) quite badly, but I think I'll sit this one out for a little while.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Early production runs of curved panels had higher-than-expected defect rates. The manufacturing process is still expensive and undergoing refinement, I expect monitors of this type to be *very* expensive for a while, factory retooling usually takes about 3 months or so to work out all the process bugs.

I want a curved 34 (or larger) quite badly, but I think I'll sit this one out for a little while.

Where did you get this information from, as I am waiting for this monitor as well

Korth
Level 14
Process patents and white papers describe the basic manufacturing process well enough. In general, a resin press/bake process is involved which mechanically displaces or chemically damages OLED molecules. So defective pixel rates tend to be high and product yields tend to be low. But big companies with big money are involved and compete aggressively to develop curve panel products to market. Traditional cut-down methods don't work well on curved panel geometries, the panels are just as expensive to make as their flat counterparts but defective segments cannot be resized and sold as smaller panels. So per-unit costs will tend to be very high until the manufacturing technology matures.

I'm a BMET (EET/CET) and the company I work for is always very interested in tracking the latest-greatest developments in certain mission-critical technologies like display panels and programmable microcontrollers and performance computing components. I can't claim to be an expert in the display panel manufacturing field and I don't have access to any "secret" proprietary information, but I do work for people who are experts and who are responsible for sourcing innovative/affordable components. PC gaming hardware is just a niche.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Process patents and white papers describe the basic manufacturing process well enough. In general, a resin press/bake process is involved which mechanically displaces or chemically damages OLED molecules. So defective pixel rates tend to be high and product yields tend to be low. But big companies with big money are involved and compete aggressively to develop curve panel products to market. Traditional cut-down methods don't work well on curved panel geometries, the panels are just as expensive to make as their flat counterparts but defective segments cannot be resized and sold as smaller panels. So per-unit costs will tend to be very high until the manufacturing technology matures.

I'm a BMET (EET/CET) and the company I work for is always very interested in tracking the latest-greatest developments in certain mission-critical technologies like display panels and programmable microcontrollers and performance computing components. I can't claim to be an expert in the display panel manufacturing field and I don't have access to any "secret" proprietary information, but I do work for people who are experts and who are responsible for sourcing innovative/affordable components. PC gaming hardware is just a niche.

So the ASUS PG348Q might not be delayed, you are just talking about curved monitors in general, not just the ASUS PG348Q

Korth
Level 14
I was describing what I understand of curved display panels in general, along with all consumer products built around them.

I wasn't describing the Asus PG348Q in particular. Asus is not a panel ODM. But Asus's primary supplier has often demonstrated a history of delayed deadlines (and QC issues on initial runs) with previous high-end display panel offerings.

[/Korth]

Any updates on the release date yet? I can't wait any longer I'm gonna buy the X34.

I Want To Know When Too.I Tried To Find Info on It But It Seems Like Asus Is Just Ignoring Everything Since I Haven't Seen 1 Reply From Asus.Alot Of People Are Asking If Its 100Hz Out of The Box.I Would Like To Know That Also.

I'm gonna be buying in about ten days, if it's not out by then, Acer it is, I can't bloody wait anymore!!

I've been watching and waiting like a hawk too, but the only thing I've seen are the proto-types that were at CES 2016 again. I am going to keep waiting for the ASUS because I had zero luck with Acer monitors in the past with regards to burned out pixels.

Just make sure you get a good return policy on whatever you buy whether it be the Acer or Asus in case you don't win in the monitor lotter.