cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus X99 Rampage V and Logitech Z906 Surround Sound

Dax_Doomslayer
Level 7
Hi Folks,
First time posting so be gentle - lol. I'm having issues getting sound from the center and the two rear speakers of my Z906 Surround Sound system. I'm currently on Windows 10 if that matters and I'm trying to use the onboard RealTek Audio. I can get it to work in
stereo sound but anything else (i.e. 5.1 etc), there is no sound coming out of any of the speakers. I was wondering if anyone has any idea as to what the issue is. I'm using the 6 channel direct input cables and have hooked them up according to the motherboard manual (which is color coded for dopes like me so I can't mess it up). Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

Menthol
Level 14
Good speaker system you have, I think Win 10 may make a difference, try uninstalling the realtek drivers and any of the ASUS sound software, let Windows install the sound drivers and see if that allows all your speakers to work
If that does it you can either leave it or go to realteks site to download the latest drivers

Hi - thank you for the response. I did try to delete out the drivers and have Windows 10 find them. However, I'm pretty much having the same issue even with the Windows drivers. This is a bit frustrating to say the least!

XBrookieX
Level 7
I Have same speakers with no issues other than occasional SPDIF DTS in certain Games on Win 10, your analogue connection should have zero issues, in Sound properties set to 5.1 and DTS connect. DTS connect changes stereo to fake 5.1 but pretty good.
Do not have the 192.0 KHZ ticked the Z906 don't support it or at least if I'm wrong mine don't like it,
Windows 10 base driver alone doesn't set up correctly even after Threshold 2 its best to download and install from Asus Site. All best and Merry Christmas.
Optic/Spdif best audio on games that support it.

Hi XBrookieX,
OK - so I downloaded the drivers from here: https://www.asus.com/support/Download/1/42/3/3/SNYTZvOdMa6xGWYL/35/. I choose Windows 10 and then Audio. I then download the drivers: Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.1.7571 for Windows 7/8/8.1/10 32bit & 64bit.(WHQL). That said, I reboot the machine. When I go to playback devices, it shows the speakers with a green check mark. Properties confirm that it has the RealTek Drivers installed (what's odd now is that this time I didn't get the RealTek Audio Manager installed nor the ROG additional items). I go to configure the speakers, put it at 5.1. When I test it, nothing out of any of the speakers other than the center speaker. When it plays the front left & front right speaker there is sound out of the center speaker. When showing the rear left; rear right and center, no sound. Under the next option of Customize Your Configuration, I have Center; Subwoofer and Rear Pair all checked off. Under Select Full Range Speakers, I have front left and right checked and surround speakers checked. When I've tried going the optical route, I get no sound at all. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit: I have it set at 24 bit 4800 Hz also.

Thanks.

Try optic route and set SPDIF as default and set up 5.1 remember test tone is stereo in SPDID, use a DTS or 5.1 DVD video to test set up. if this works we can look at correcting Analogue. windows sends the full uncompressed sound to the amp for the amp to decode hence why should work. input 3 on your Z906

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_devices/realtek-hd-alc892-dts...
work from last to help understand this is a ongoing issue with windows 10.

Luck of the draw, Noticed not but without Risk as not always work is a full reinstall. windows 10 originally the sound was problematic, threshold 2 helped yet didn't always correct what uses changed hence why new installs work.
I've lost many of days on this and Microsoft admitted the problem. X99 5.1 board is fine with win 7 and 8.
PS fast ring insiders now having problems again with latest updates. Lucky I'm ok to press.