cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Up-to-date chipset drivers?

Rippin_Kittin
Level 9
I'm on my Maximus VI Extreme on Windows 10... so on a fresh install the other week, I went to the ASUS download page for my "Maximus VI Extreme". I noticed the Chipset and MEI drivers were "old". Chipset version was V10.1.1.7 and MEI was V11.0.0.1155

I went to Intel download page.
Newest chipset there for Windows 10 is "Chipset: Intel® Chipset Device Software for Intel® NUC" version 10.1.1.9
Newest MEI for Windows 10 on Intel download page is "Intel® ME 11: Management Engine Driver for Intel® NUC" version 11.0.0.1180

Question: Why have not ASUS uploaded these new drivers on the download page?
Are they bad for my motherboard?

(I still got the ASUS "old" drivers installed)
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.1 GHz || MB: ROG Strix Z370-F Gaming || Cooling: Corsair Hydro 115i
GFX: 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB (SLI) || RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB OC @ 3300 MHz
Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum || Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Monitor: ASUS 27" ROG SWIFT PG279Q 165Hz || PSU: Corsair AX1600i || OS: Windows 10 Professional x64
Case: NZXT Phantom 820 FullTower - White

6 REPLIES 6

PerpetualCycle
Level 13
You can pick them up from the Hero VII download page or from other VII series download pages or from other sources.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

geneo wrote:
You can pick them up from the Hero VII download page or from other VII series download pages or from other sources.

So it doesn't really matter where I download those drivers from?
Chipset and IME is never motherboard specific?
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K @ 5.1 GHz || MB: ROG Strix Z370-F Gaming || Cooling: Corsair Hydro 115i
GFX: 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB (SLI) || RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32GB OC @ 3300 MHz
Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum || Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Monitor: ASUS 27" ROG SWIFT PG279Q 165Hz || PSU: Corsair AX1600i || OS: Windows 10 Professional x64
Case: NZXT Phantom 820 FullTower - White

geneo wrote:

Yes, especially the chipset - they cover all Intel chipsets in one package. The IME in principle should also be motherboard independent. I have never has a problem with the IME.

ROG Hero XIII | 10900k @5.2 GHz | g.skill 2x32GB 4200 CL18 | ROG Strix 2070S | EK Nucleus 360 Dark | 6TB SSD/nvme, 16TB external HDD | 2x 1440p | Vanatoo speakers with Klipsch sub | Fractal Meshify 2 case

Sorry to hijack your thread but... 😄

I did a clean install to windows 10 a few months ago and since Asus has pretty much nothing on their driver download page, I installed nothing, Windows seems to have picked everything up and there are no flagged devices in device manager. I've disabled the on board audio in the BIOS. Am I missing out on any features/performance by sticking with the drivers windows 10 installed?

Korth
Level 14
"Chipset" needs some clarification ...

Core Intel chipset and IME and RST drivers are written by Intel. Intel will of course always have the latest-greatest versions of their own stuff. Support pages at companies like Asus might provide the latest revisions or might be inattentive and never update outdated revisions.

Chipset addons like ASMedia controllers and Realtek audio chips are made by companies like ASMedia and Realtek, who again always have the most recent revisions available for their own stuff. Companies like Asus and Gigabyte might custom program the programmable Realtek ALC1150 part, and they might provide extra Asus or Gigabyte software which adds features, but the actual driver code will always be written by Realtek.

Chipset addons like the ROG KeyBot microcontroller are made by Asus, so Asus is the place to look when you want the most recent wares.

The most recent stable version of each critical device driver can always be found through Windows Update, Microsoft-rebranded as WHQL Drivers to assure the masses that they've passed tons of "testing" and won't break your Windows.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Nate152
You could check to see if windows 10 installed the latest drivers but if everything is working fine I don't think it's that big of a deal.