cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wired connection slower than wireless in other room!?

vpiercy
Level 7
My wired connection ping is 262ms, download between 7mbs and 12 Mbps, and uploads at <1.00 Mbps!

My son on his wireless in his bedroom gets ping of 22 ms, downloads at 22 Mbps, and uploads at 4 Mbps I think.

I just installed Windows 7 on my Z170 board Maximus viii Ranger. Am using the Intel Gigabit Ethernet driver that came with the motherboard DVD.

Any suggestions? I haven't loaded much software yet. This is still a fresh Win7 install aside from Steam, ASUS, Kaspersky, Razor, and MSI utilities.

UPDATE: SOLVED!
From
Check this at Tomshardware.com from SirSub42:

Control Panel > Device Manager > Network Adapters > right click on yours and select the Advanced tab at the top. Locate the "Link Speed & Duplex" selection. Change the option from Auto-negociation (usually standard) to 100 Mbps Full Duplex (Or 1.0 Gbps Full Duplex if you have that option). You may also want to try disabling your wireless adapter while using a wired connection and see if that helps the speed issue.

Now my wired speeds are approximately equivalent to wireless speeds on devices around the house.
2 REPLIES 2

m0d1by
Level 7
What are you pinging? It could be the other end instead of yours.

If you're sure it's you, some gateways throttle wired connections, might want to check the settings in your router.

lordo59
Level 7
A lot of router Quality of Service (QoS) software OR PC 'Game First' software has the complete opposite effect. Can always try disabling those as well.