Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    9

    Just had the following response from ASUS. I guess I'll be breaking the screwdrivers out again tonight *sigh*:

    There are no special changes required from BIOS in order to have an SSD set as a boot drive. Please load the Optimized Defaults to make sure you are starting out with factory settings and then change the Boot order to set the SSD as the first one.

    Please take out the SSD before loading the Optimized Defaults and connect it back after you loaded the defaults, that may allow it to be seen in BIOS.
    Thing is, I *had* the "Optimized Default" settings prior to installing the SSD and immediately after. I only started changing them when it didn't recognise the drive. Hey ho.

  2. #12
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Reputation
    11
    Posts
    27

    Quote Originally Posted by IainPurdie View Post
    Just had the following response from ASUS. I guess I'll be breaking the screwdrivers out again tonight *sigh*:



    Thing is, I *had* the "Optimized Default" settings prior to installing the SSD and immediately after. I only started changing them when it didn't recognise the drive. Hey ho.
    I believe I reset optimized defaults but maybe I forgot to pick ssd as first drive afterwords. Thanks let me know how it goes I won't be opening mine till this weekend again.

  3. #13
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    116

    You also want to consider turning off Secure Boot while testing.

  4. #14
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    9

    Well, without opening the system I managed to get it to see the SSD - changed one of the settings from "Auto" to "ON" (I think - will check again tonight and give precise details).

    I am, however, having incredible trouble trying to get the drive to boot. I've cloned the drive, I've used "migrate OS" functions and I've tried copying partition by partition from the original drive... and every time I try to boot from the SSD I am told that "BOOTMGR is missing".

    I've tried copying boot files from the additional system partition to the C: then copying it again, copying them direct to the new copy, repairing with the command line (a function which has now disappeared from my recovery reboot options)...

    Struggling to create a recovery disc using the MS supplied tool as my next option was to just install Windows directly onto the SSD from afresh. The tool gets about 75% of the way through then just fails with a friendly "For some reason we can't get this tool to work" message. Which isn't much help.

    I'm feeling jinxed! Also tired. I gave up at 2am and am not really any further forward :-/

    Anyone remember the old days when they used to ship discs with a computer so you actually had recovery media to hand? And everything went on a single partition which you could actually *see*?

    [P.S. Apologies for ramble - it's partly to log for myself what I've attempted so I don't repeat myself!]

  5. #15
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    9

    Red face

    OK, so I am now up and running though the experience isn't as nice as it was on the HDD (but faster!)

    The BIOS change I made was small - I changed CSM from "AUTO" to "ON" (or enabled). That allowed the BIOS to see my SSD and therefore boot from it.

    I never did figure out how to copy my HDD to it and end up with a bootable drive, so I created a Win10 installation USB and put a fresh install on instead. The only real downsides were having to re-install the drivers from ASUS's website and losing the funky red and black wallpaper that came pre-installed. It's probably buried on the old drive somewhere but I can't be bothered looking for it.

    Other than that, just transferring apps over and so on. Working fine (at last!) which is the main thing.

  6. #16
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Reputation
    11
    Posts
    27

    Glad to hear you got it going.

  7. #17
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    8

    Quote Originally Posted by IainPurdie View Post
    OK, so I am now up and running though the experience isn't as nice as it was on the HDD (but faster!)

    The BIOS change I made was small - I changed CSM from "AUTO" to "ON" (or enabled). That allowed the BIOS to see my SSD and therefore boot from it.

    I never did figure out how to copy my HDD to it and end up with a bootable drive, so I created a Win10 installation USB and put a fresh install on instead. The only real downsides were having to re-install the drivers from ASUS's website and losing the funky red and black wallpaper that came pre-installed. It's probably buried on the old drive somewhere but I can't be bothered looking for it.

    Other than that, just transferring apps over and so on. Working fine (at last!) which is the main thing.
    So I'm having issue with my ssd, when I use the recovery I can't select the ssd. It is recognized by bios and Windows, how did you get it to install on the ssd?

  8. #18
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbear345 View Post
    So I'm having issue with my ssd, when I use the recovery I can't select the ssd. It is recognized by bios and Windows, how did you get it to install on the ssd?
    I didn't use the recovery. In fact, just last night, I deleted the recovery partition from the original hard drive. I created a new boot disc (external USB) for a fresh Windows installation using the Microsoft tool and installed from scratch. It was actually pretty painless - getting the drivers after the installation was one trip to the ASUS support site.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •