cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL551JM CPU overheat issue 95 degrees. GPU remains cool enough

Loaded_Squirrel
Level 7
Greetings!

I've been tracking an issue that only occurs when I start up a game. Fans ramp up very high to try to keep the processor cool. Its gets to about 95 degrees. GPU stays at about 79 degrees. I'm playing Fallout 4 at the minimum specs.

So far it hasn't died but that is just way too hot. As you may know the heat-sink is shared by the GPU and the processor. I brought the Laptp to a nearby Asus Authed Repair shop and they opened it up for a dusting and repasting. It was very clean. The repaste brought the temperature down by about 2 degrees to 93.

I have tons of logs monitoring hardware and truly appreciate any help you can provide.

Regards,
Ross
Loaded Squirrel
5 REPLIES 5

Sniffy
Level 7
Your two options are to either disable turbo boost, by setting the maximum processor state to 99% in Windows power options, or to use Intel XTU to undervolt. The first option is simpler and guarantees stability. I doubt you'll even notice the performance difference, but temperatures should be much better.

Sniffy wrote:
Your two options are to either disable turbo boost, by setting the maximum processor state to 99% in Windows power options, or to use Intel XTU to undervolt. The first option is simpler and guarantees stability. I doubt you'll even notice the performance difference, but temperatures should be much better.

AND ALL THE REST, THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTIONS.

Regards,
Ross

BTW, don't bother calling ASUS for help. ITS rediculous.

Boxis
Level 7
HWINFO reports the Thermal throttling and "red temperature" just because it is set by default to signalize it at lower specific temps. It does not really mean that you are indeed thermally throttling or the temperature is already dangerous. I have changed the red notification to 95°C+ only as well as throttling notification because the default one is set, in my opinion, too low.
http://s4.postimg.org/advo9pttp/hwinfocpu.jpg

So, if you are reaching anything under 97°C, you should be still able to experience the full performance out of your hardware without worrying that something might happen to it. The given CPU starts reducing its speed at 100°C, so this is the number you should primarily avoid.

Anyway, if you still want to reduce your temps, best would be to underclock your turbo mode in Intel XTU by 200-300mhz when 3/4 cores are active, or as Sniffy said disable the turbo itself.

Boxis wrote:
The given CPU starts reducing its speed at 100°C, so this is the number you should primarily avoid.

Individual laptop manufacturers can set a TJ offset so even if an Intel CPU is rated to start thermal throttling at 100°C, it might start throttling and slowing down at a temperature lower than that. As far as I know, HWiNFO does not report offset information. ThrottleStop does.

ThrottleStop 8.00
https://www.sendspace.com/file/p1q40a

You are right Loaded Squirrel. Your CPU is running too hot. It sounds like the heatsink is inadequate which unfortunately seems to be the norm in many laptop models.

To reduce your CPU core temperatures, try decreasing the core and cache voltage. Most repair shops use generic paste. Better thermal paste, properly applied, can make a significant difference so learn how to do this maintenance procedure yourself. Some heatsinks need to be re-engineered. Increasing the pressure between the heatsink and CPU can improve heat dissipation.

Call you computer guy and ask if he followed the torque sequence on the heat blocks. They are numbered 1 through 8, stamped into the screw flags. I'll bet he used cheap paste and didn't see the sequence. When I changed to Gelid Extreme paste my CPU temp dropped 12C. Almost missed the numbers on the brackets...