New ROGer Array

Maximus VIII Impact Fan Extension Card Question

About the pins of the fan extension card that comes with the M8I, EXT_FAN1-3 is pretty straightforward,
    and so are the associated EXT_TSI1-3, POWER_IN and EXT_FAN_IN pins.

But what is the other FAN_IN 4-pin connector (placed on the side of EXT_FAN_IN) used for?
    Don't see any apparent use for it.

Also, I've got to rant (just a little bit) about:
    (1) How scanty the fan extension card is documented in the manual, and
    (2) Despite seemingly capable of using a total of 4 thermsistors, the board package includes only one.

Still great board though, just a few small things that could have been better
    Last edited by cltang; 12-06-2015 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Slight edit of post title

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

The FAN IN header allows you to connect the extension card to a chassis fan header on your motherboard. Whichever setting you use for that particular chassis fan header will be applied to the 3 fans connected to the extension card.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array AKBAAR PC Specs
    AKBAAR PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus Impact VIII
    ProcessorIntel i7-6700k @ 4.6Ghz
    Memory (part number)TridentZ 3200C14 - 32GTZ 32GB
    Graphics Card #1MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    MonitorDELL U3014
    Storage #1Samsung 840 Pro SSd
    Storage #2Samsung 840 Pro SSd
    CPU CoolerCorsair H80i GT
    CaseCorsair 250D
    Power SupplyCorsair AX760i
    Keyboard Corsair k70-rgb
    Mouse SteelSeries Rival 100
    OS Windows 10 Pro X64
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC5300

sorry if i revived this old post, but I tried to install the asus extension card without the FAN IN beacuse i dont have cable for it.

but i still didnt get it to work in AI 3

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

It doesn't work like that. Read the previous post. The cable comes with the board in the MOBO box. If you are using it with the fan in instead of the cable you cannot use AI suite to control the EXT fan profile. What happens is you just made it into a splitter for which you can get far better solutions that take up less space. You also cannot use the thermal monitoring with it either. without the digital signal cable its nothing more than a splitter, end of it. If you want to control everything that is connected to it you must do it as you would the by using a single fan plugged into a chassis port. Scroll through AI fan expert until you get to the fan header on the MOBO you have it plugged into. Thats your control point for all the fans you have connected to it. They will all run on the same profile and same speed with only the first one providing speed information back to the MOBO.

Connecting it to fan in you essentially have the same functionality as one of these but one of these looks better, is more compact and easier to mount. It also has 8 ports instead of 3!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...w&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Last edited by JustinThyme; 12-26-2016 at 03:26 PM.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array AKBAAR PC Specs
    AKBAAR PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Maximus Impact VIII
    ProcessorIntel i7-6700k @ 4.6Ghz
    Memory (part number)TridentZ 3200C14 - 32GTZ 32GB
    Graphics Card #1MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    MonitorDELL U3014
    Storage #1Samsung 840 Pro SSd
    Storage #2Samsung 840 Pro SSd
    CPU CoolerCorsair H80i GT
    CaseCorsair 250D
    Power SupplyCorsair AX760i
    Keyboard Corsair k70-rgb
    Mouse SteelSeries Rival 100
    OS Windows 10 Pro X64
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC5300

Quote Originally Posted by JustinThyme View Post
    It doesn't work like that. Read the previous post. The cable comes with the board in the MOBO box. If you are using it with the fan in instead of the cable you cannot use AI suite to control the EXT fan profile. What happens is you just made it into a splitter for which you can get far better solutions that take up less space. You also cannot use the thermal monitoring with it either. without the digital signal cable its nothing more than a splitter, end of it. If you want to control everything that is connected to it you must do it as you would the by using a single fan plugged into a chassis port. Scroll through AI fan expert until you get to the fan header on the MOBO you have it plugged into. Thats your control point for all the fans you have connected to it. They will all run on the same profile and same speed with only the first one providing speed information back to the MOBO.

Connecting it to fan in you essentially have the same functionality as one of these but one of these looks better, is more compact and easier to mount. It also has 8 ports instead of 3!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...w&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Thanks, but I realy dont have the extra female to female cable in the box am sure of it. i checked twice nothing there

this is what I have exactly same as the pic

I connected the molex power, 2 DC fans, and the 5 pin connector that goes to the motherboard. When I turn the PC on, the fans connected to it will run but they don't show up in the fan settings in the bios and in AI Suite. My question is, am I supposed to connect the 4 pin-In connector to something like the CPU_opt to make it show up? because It's just strange because they didn't include a 4 pin connector for it to go to the motherboard.

The 5-pin connection should result in the extra 3 fans that are connected to the extension card to appear as individual fans that can be independently controlled through ASUS software/bios. am I right?
    Last edited by AKBAAR; 12-26-2016 at 09:23 PM.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array GotKevlar PC Specs
    GotKevlar PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Strix Z370-G Gaming (WiFi AC)
    Processori7-8700K @ 4.4 Ghz
    Memory (part number)F4-3466C16D-32GTZ (2x16) (XMP On)
    Graphics Card #1ZT-P10800H-10P
    Sound CardSupremeFX 8-Channel HDA CODEC S1220A
    MonitorSamsung 55" Curved
    Storage #1Samsung SSD 970 EVO 250G NVMe M.2
    Storage #2Intel 660p Series M.2 SSDPEKNW020T8X1
    CPU CoolerNZXT RL-KRX42-02
    CaseTT Level 20 VT
    Power SupplyPS-TPG-0850FPCPUS-P
    Keyboard SteelSeries MERC Stealth
    Mouse R2 Omnimouse
    Headset SteelSeries H Wireless
    Mouse Pad KILLENFLOR DECK
    Headset/Speakers Yamaha SR-300
    OS Win 10 Pro X64 1803 (os build 17134.345)
    Network RouterUbiquiti USGv3
    Accessory #1 (1) ThermalTake 200 mm Fan

i love my header..it works perfect for my M8I in my mini itx case. Granted it was a challenge to find a location to mount it but i do enjoy the fan control and i am using all 3 headers plus the 2 on the board.

Banned Array JustinThyme PC Specs
    JustinThyme PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VY-DH72
    MotherboardRampage VI Extreme
    ProcessorI9 9940X
    Memory (part number)64GB DDR4 8x8 Corsair Dominator Platinum 3800 MHz @ C17
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1GHz
    Graphics Card #2ASUS Strix 2080Ti O11G @ 2.1Ghz
    Graphics Card #3ROG Nvlink
    Graphics Card #4Have to feed animals
    Sound CardExternal Audioengine D1 24 bit 192kbps DAC
    MonitorASUS PG348Q @ 100Hz
    Storage #1Intel 905P 480GB U2 flavor
    Storage #2Samsung 850 EVO 1TB X2 in RAID 0, 960 PRO 1TB DIMM.2_1
    CPU CoolerHeatKiller IV PRO and VRM blocks ,Dual D5 PWM serial, 2X 480, 1X 360 RADS
    CasePhanteks Enthoo Elite 8X LL120 PWM, 3X LL140 PWM, 12 SP120 PWM 1x AF140 PWM
    Power SupplyCorsair AX 1500i
    Keyboard ASUS Claymore
    Mouse ASUS Spatha, Logitech MX Master
    Headset Sennheiser HD 700
    Mouse Pad ASUS ROG Sheath
    Headset/Speakers Audioengine A5+ with SVS SB-1000 Sub
    OS Win10 Pro 1809
    Network RouterNetGear NightHawk X10
    Accessory #1 NetGear Prosafe 10GBe Switch
    Accessory #2 Qnap TVS-682 NAS modded with I7 CPU

Quote Originally Posted by AKBAAR View Post
    Thanks, but I realy dont have the extra female to female cable in the box am sure of it. i checked twice nothing there

this is what I have exactly same as the pic

I connected the molex power, 2 DC fans, and the 5 pin connector that goes to the motherboard. When I turn the PC on, the fans connected to it will run but they don't show up in the fan settings in the bios and in AI Suite. My question is, am I supposed to connect the 4 pin-In connector to something like the CPU_opt to make it show up? because It's just strange because they didn't include a 4 pin connector for it to go to the motherboard.

The 5-pin connection should result in the extra 3 fans that are connected to the extension card to appear as individual fans that can be independently controlled through ASUS software/bios. am I right?
    The multipin cable in the pic is what is supposed to connect to your MOBOs EXT fan control header. Connect that and and the fan expert will control them individually. Unless your mobo doesn't support it. Only other input should be from the PSU. Everything else is fan out with temp sensor connections in between.

Here is a diagram of my fan con