cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY bios update to 211, anyone have the same experience?

Mublur
Level 7
I've updated my G751JY bios numerous times in the bios easyflash tool without a problem.

Now i updated to 211 without a problem (erased, programmed and verified, shutdown). When i restarted it, it was bricked in the boot loop.

I put the 211 bios as G751JY.BIN on usb and booted with ctrl+home, and the computer reflashed the bios, but it's still bricked.

Then i tried the older 208 bios i had, but reflashing back to it didn't help either.

Does anyone know if the G751JY.BIN that everyone is referring to is somehow different from ordinary update files? Also - where can I get that one in case it's the only one capable of unbricking my laptop? I did not find it on the hdd

EDIT: Forgot to add that I have searched for other threads with similar problems - i was just curious if ANYONE has got their bios fixed with the original BIN file? Seems like everyone has just sent theirs to service and got their mobo replaced
13 REPLIES 13

Mublur
Level 7
SOLVED:

Here is m solution if this would be useful for someone else:

I removed both ssd's, installed another which was empty except just for the bios update. I ran the 211 update from the ssd and the machine came to life again

so - beware! i used three different usb sticks in updating at first with different ports - and the sticks were of good quality (i avoid cheap usb memory sticks)

Dunno how it is possible that the usb update crapped out - i checked the SHA on both the hdd file and usb file and they were identical

nevertheless - beware of updating through usb!

fidelity101
Level 7
Glad to see you got it back up and running without dealing with customer service.

escha
Level 7
thx for the solution!

though i never have had a problem with updating g751jy bios (every version step from 202 to 211)
- I always place a bios file on HDD (non os) connected to SATA II port and use winflash...

again thx for the tip and good for you 😉

hexaae
Level 12
Ctrl+home? What's this for...?
--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse

hexaae wrote:
Ctrl+home? What's this for...?

Sorry hexaae for a super slow answer, but ctrl+home is meant to rescue boot the laptop into a mode where it searches for an original bios image on the hdd in order to reflash the bios if it got bricked. It's very handy!

Mublur wrote:
Sorry hexaae for a super slow answer, but ctrl+home is meant to rescue boot the laptop into a mode where it searches for an original bios image on the hdd in order to reflash the bios if it got bricked. It's very handy!

Really? Where should I put the BIOS file backup then? C:\ root is good?
When can I press CTRL+HOME?

EDIT:
Found the answer here: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?61268-Unusual-BIOS-flashing-issue-G751JY-Bricked&p=563381&...
--
ASUS ROG Strix GL703GS, GTX 1070 8GB, 32GB RAM, 1920x1080 144Hz G-Sync laptop screen, external monitor UWQHD 3440x1440 Mi Monitor, NVMe 4x, 8BitDo Arcade Stick, EasySMX X10 controller, ROG Strix Carry mouse

alex_garmash
Level 7
I bricked my old G74sx in the same way.
Didn't fix it.

I had the same "loop-boot" than RMA to customer service.
Response: SSD was broken -> changed in warranty

Returned with speakers that not sounds very well (crackling!) than, RMA again.

Response: Speakers -> changed in warranty
Internal Subwoofer -> Changed in warranty

Returned 2: now its all perfect, sound good, etc.

My suggest, try RMA!

Regards to all
Paolo

Hank174 wrote:
I had the same "loop-boot" than RMA to customer service.
Response: SSD was broken -> changed in warranty

Returned with speakers that not sounds very well (crackling!) than, RMA again.

Response: Speakers -> changed in warranty
Internal Subwoofer -> Changed in warranty

Returned 2: now its all perfect, sound good, etc.

My suggest, try RMA!

Regards to all
Paolo

can u tell me what u write in ure RMA, pls? 🙂
first step for me