Headset HyperX Cloud Alpha
    Mouse Pad ASUS
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z906
    OS 10 X64 Pro
    Network RouterVerizon Fios
    Accessory #1 Intel Wifi BT pcie card
    Accessory #2 Red Bull
    Accessory #3 English Breakfast Tea

Your bios version is fine, and there is no reason not to use XMP and 125 blck if there are no issues. If you are not looking to overclock your CPU then run that beast as it's set up and enjoy it

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

1701 on a 3.1 board is most definitely not fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Menthol View Post
    Your bios version is fine, and there is no reason not to use XMP and 125 blck if there are no issues. If you are not looking to overclock your CPU then run that beast as it's set up and enjoy it
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkstorm View Post
    1701 on a 3.1 board is most definitely not fine.
    I will be overclocking, but this whole 125 strap being a bad thing due to CPU degredation is all i keep hearing. Now i have 2 ppl on this forum with conflicting answers regarding the Bios. Who am i supposed to use for guidance around here? Lol
    Intel i7-6950X @ Stock for now
    Corsair H105 (Push/Pull)
    Asus Rampage V Extreme X99 (Bios: 3101)
    32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Dominator Platinums @ 3000Mhz
    512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2
    2x 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 (RAID-0)
    2x EVGA Titan X Superclocks in SLI
    Corsair AX1500i Titanium + Red Sleeved Cables
    2x 27" Asus ROG Swift PG278Q (Surround 7680x1440 @144Hz + GSync)
    Lian Li PC08 Tempered Glass Case
    Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

As others have said, if my experience is any guide, be prepared to put some time into getting past 2800MHz with 32G (or worse with 64). the 59xx IMC evidently does not like to be rushed. I have a 5930k and a 5960x and both balked at every step trying to run 3000 or 3200. So much so that I am presently running at 2800 CAS15 so that I can get back to using them for work without random freezes. The skylake MC appears to be much better, it took 3400 without complaint. The Haswell being older, larger process and quad core make this entirely reasonable/expected if a little frustrating. I have various jobs that benefit nicely from faster memories, but the time saved per job vs a crash or the time spent benchmarking and rebooting eventually adds up.

p.s. thus far, SA has not been of help to me, I've stepped this way and that at 0.001 increments and the only thing that has ever mattered is the cache voltage, but your mileage will vary.

p.p.s I have an M.2 PCIe SSD so bclk!=100 is not really an option. I was able to get through memtest without issues and even significant realbench @ 3000, but the first boot of linux ran into a big pile of nope...
    Last edited by cekim; 12-06-2015 at 11:42 PM.

Simple there's 2 separate support pages on Asus, the link I gave you is for the correct page for the 3.1 board.

The other page is for the other board they are different boards and different products with different bios code branches for each board.

1701 is the latest bios for the standard board, go look for yourself on Asus's website, 1502 is the highest Bios for the 3.1 board, they are NOT the same and do not flash one board with the others bios, it may/may not function and or cause you to have additional problems, each board has its own Bios.

The fact you have a board with the bios chips may have been played with and or were bent and it has 1701 on it makes me think several things, first you have a board that's been played around with and isn't Boxed new and some fool has been swapping the Bios chips off that and his replacement board (now yours) with another and or it has not boxed the correct board in the correct box, when its gone back or when its been tested at the supplier.

But that 'being' a 3.1 board and I used the comas because I'd not be certain what you have, as you either have a board someone has flashed incorrectly or had bios chips replaced, not a 3.1 board, or a combination of all of em.

Which has implications for you as you may in the future need/wish to flash the bios to a different revision.

Which is why I said you need to identify your board, because there's TWO R5E's and they both have their own Bios.

Personally I'd returned it, and demanded a unopened box new board and would have done so once I noticed the bios chips and certainly when I noticed it had the wrong bios on the board for what its supposed to be.

But then that's me.

In the UK its against the law to sell opened items as new, and you can be assured if buying from people like amazon over mail order if its new then its new not opened and returned.

But considering the Bios chips and the wrong bios revision I'd say that boards has been royally messed with and you should return it.

The board may work just fine, but like I said you might not have what you think you should have, and murphy may come round and bite you for ignoring it later.

Up to you.

As for the 100/125 strap issue I've already put down my thoughts about that along with Haswell-E is only safe to use below 66deg.

P.S I'm still after 2 of your titans because I don't think you'd miss them and 4 is just a crime against nature.
    Last edited by Hawkstorm; 12-07-2015 at 12:46 AM.

ROG Member Array

Check SN on the box and on the motherboard if they are the same then check the bios that the box says it came with, it is on the box sticker as well. If something isn't as it should then it is up to you what you want to do.

ROG Enthusiast Array kaese PC Specs
    kaese PC Specs
    MotherboardX99 Rampage V Extreme
    Processor5820K

No need to worry for the BIOS version. The 3.1 board and the "normal" are just the same except for the additional 3.1 USB card. It is the support page that is not correctly updated. I held the normal and the 3.1 boards both in my hands (same hardware rev. 1.01). By the way my 3.1 came with Bios 1601 (compared to 1501 on the support page). So its hard to believe the 3.1 version would be continiously shipped with a Bios version that is not correct.
    Just go with the 1701 (or the one you like the most).

Quote Originally Posted by Braxos View Post
    Check SN on the box and on the motherboard if they are the same then check the bios that the box says it came with, it is on the box sticker as well. If something isn't as it should then it is up to you what you want to do.
    I will check this, since i should get what i paid for regardless if i use USB 3.1 or not.

Quote Originally Posted by kaese View Post
    No need to worry for the BIOS version. The 3.1 board and the "normal" are just the same except for the additional 3.1 USB card. It is the support page that is not correctly updated. I held the normal and the 3.1 boards both in my hands (same hardware rev. 1.01). By the way my 3.1 came with Bios 1601 (compared to 1501 on the support page). So its hard to believe the 3.1 version would be continiously shipped with a Bios version that is not correct.
    Just go with the 1701 (or the one you like the most).
    My 1st board that i rma'd came with 1601 too (which is also not a listed Bios for USB3.1 version), so thanks for clearing this up. I didn't think there was a difference between the boards either.

Anyway back to the subject in hand, using XMP seems to the way to go using a 125 strap, as it looks like 100 would be more trouble than it's worth based on the guides i've been seeing trying to tweak it to work. But again this does beg the question, if 125 strap is normal and totally safe, why are so many people trying to use the 100 strap in the first place? You might now understand why i get confused on this forum lol
    Intel i7-6950X @ Stock for now
    Corsair H105 (Push/Pull)
    Asus Rampage V Extreme X99 (Bios: 3101)
    32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Dominator Platinums @ 3000Mhz
    512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2
    2x 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 (RAID-0)
    2x EVGA Titan X Superclocks in SLI
    Corsair AX1500i Titanium + Red Sleeved Cables
    2x 27" Asus ROG Swift PG278Q (Surround 7680x1440 @144Hz + GSync)
    Lian Li PC08 Tempered Glass Case
    Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

From revision 1302 and onwards, the BIOS is the same for both motherboards.

Asus needs to confirm and clarify that and their site.

Adaptive Volting Prolly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast