cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some questions OC 5960X + 3000Mhz Memory

Mhill2029
Level 8
So far I have done what was asked and set CPU voltage to 1.3v and managed to boot to the desktop successfully @ 4.5Ghz, although I have yet to stress test as i'm still running my memory @ 2133. I did enable XMP which sets the strap to 125Mhz with a CPU multi of 28 and that also booted successfully. Although changing the strap down from 125 > 100 fails to post and shuts off system and repeats an ON and OFF post loop.

Is the 125Mhz strap ok? I know you'll get a performance edge with a higher strap but is it safe for other buses on the system in the long term? I find it strange that XMP would do this if it is problematic?

Oh btw my memory is 32GB (4x8) Corsair Dominator Platinums 3000Mhz (CMD32GX4M4B3000C15)

Also this board is running Bios 1701 since I received it, but people say that's the wrong Bios for the USB3.1 version of the board? This is a new board after my 1st I had to RMA due to a missing pin on the CPU socket.

Regarding ROG Realbench, never used this program before since i'm used to using Prime95, which is apparently a no no for Haswell-E processors. Anyway, is there a specific amount of time to be considered stable with this program?

Thankyou for any insight you can provide...
Intel i7-6950X @ Stock for now
Corsair H105 (Push/Pull)
Asus Rampage V Extreme X99 (Bios: 3101)
32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Dominator Platinums @ 3000Mhz
512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2
2x 256GB OCZ Vertex 4 (RAID-0)
2x EVGA Titan X Superclocks in SLI
Corsair AX1500i Titanium + Red Sleeved Cables
2x 27" Asus ROG Swift PG278Q (Surround 7680x1440 @144Hz + GSync)
Lian Li PC08 Tempered Glass Case
Logitech Z906 5.1 Surround
20 REPLIES 20

Menthol
Level 14
Everything you state is fine, the only disadvantage of using the 125 blck is that your CPU voltage will not scale down with your CPU frequency, if you want to overclock your CPU and use Intel speedstep you will not be able to use adaptive mode voltage for the CPU, to use that your system would need to be set on 100 blck, most memory kits for X99 set 125 blck above 2400 mhz, there is no real big disadvantage at 125 blck other than stated. to run your memory at 3000 mhz with 100 blck will take some tweaking on your part and there is a guide on the forums by Chino and numerous threads if you have the patience and persistent are enough to pursue that. as for how long you run Realbench, there is no set time, some people will say 1 to 4 hours, some longer, personally I find the benchmark portion is very demanding, plus you can compare your scores against others here in the forums, either way Realbench tests your complete system not just you CPU.
That is one hell of a system you have, 4 Titans, holy cow, hope you have good air flow in your case

Mhill2029
Level 8
That's the thing I don't wanna spend a month trying to get things stable @ 100 BLCK using my memory at 3000Mhz, I had enough of that time wasting with my X79 rig lol. Which had IMC limitations with the memory I was using, Trident X 2400Mhz.

Basically I wanna just get 4.2Ghz - 4.5Ghz without much hassle. You think I should just get CPU stable first and leave memory out of the equation for now?

The Bios being 1701 does have me concerned though...
Corsair H105 (Push/Pull)

Hawkstorm
Level 7
Prepare to waste weeks of your time getting your kit stable. lol

I've got the Corsair 2800 CL16 QVL kit in my rig and I also tried the 3300Mhz 16GB CL16 kits on this but they were very hard to get working at 100Mhz, my 32GB kit uses 125Mhz strap for stability, and I'd recommend going for a static overclock anyway but get your kit stable first at stock then move on.

Test with Passmark's Memtest86 on a USB if it blows chunks and hangs you've got instability problems with your kit still, use round robin on CPU though you can try parallel but on this board no matter what you tweak I've found instability at high bandwidth and all cpu threads, even at stock speed even though I know there's nothing wrong with the hardware.

You prolly will have to tweak your system agent voltage, for me 1.2v or there abouts did the trick, this board has a habbit of dropping Dimms out of detection and also HD's doing the same because of kit instability, it doesn't seem to like doublesided Dimms much.

Why are you concerned with 1701? Unless your a 3.1 board user that's the latest.

Also I've notived that this board rams on 0.120v under load to Vcore and goes up the higher the frequency of Ram you use, so you might want to be careful on a H105 (I Have the 110igtx) and it pushes me to over 80degrees on my 5930k, you may well be over what it can handle at 1.3v as far as heat goes.

Memtest86 and tweaking System Agent is what I'd recommend its pretty good at finding if your kit has issues quite quickly, but 125mhz srap is the way to go.

As far as things go and your system I've found it best to get your kit stable FIRST then think about overclocking, as it will wreck your entire day at any speed if its not.

I'd be interested to hear if your kit can pass Memtest on Parallel CPU testing at stock, mine locks up solid and it shouldn't even at 2133Mhz, but passes on Round Robin.

Oh and don't trust XMP on this board enter all the values yourself manually.

Hawkstorm wrote:
Prepare to waste weeks of your time getting your kit stable. lol

I've got the Corsair 2800 CL16 QVL kit in my rig and I also tried the 3300Mhz 16GB CL16 kits on this but they were very hard to get working at 100Mhz, my 32GB kit uses 125Mhz strap for stability, and I'd recommend going for a static overclock anyway but get your kit stable first at stock then move on.

Test with Passmark's Memtest86 on a USB if it blows chunks and hangs you've got instability problems with your kit still, use round robin on CPU though you can try parallel but on this board no matter what you tweak I've found instability at high bandwidth and all cpu threads, even at stock speed even though I know there's nothing wrong with the hardware.

You prolly will have to tweak your system agent voltage, for me 1.2v or there abouts did the trick, this board has a habbit of dropping Dimms out of detection and also HD's doing the same because of kit instability, it doesn't seem to like doublesided Dimms much.

Why are you concerned with 1701? Unless your a 3.1 board user that's the latest.

Also I've notived that this board rams on 0.120v under load to Vcore and goes up the higher the frequency of Ram you use, so you might want to be careful on a H105 (I Have the 110igtx) and it pushes me to over 80degrees on my 5930k, you may well be over what it can handle at 1.3v as far as heat goes.

Memtest86 and tweaking System Agent is what I'd recommend its pretty good at finding if your kit has issues quite quickly, but 125mhz srap is the way to go.

As far as things go and your system I've found it best to get your kit stable FIRST then think about overclocking, as it will wreck your entire day at any speed if its not.

I'd be interested to hear if your kit can pass Memtest on Parallel CPU testing at stock, mine locks up solid and it shouldn't even at 2133Mhz, but passes on Round Robin.

Oh and don't trust XMP on this board enter all the values yourself manually.

This is the Rampage V Extreme/USB 3.1 version, but it came preloaded with 1701 hence my confusion and concern. To top things off, this is a replacement board after my previous had a pin missing from the CPU socket. And this one after 1st inspection had the Bios chips plugged in squiffy, like diagonally rather than flat. I have since removed and reinserted them as they should be....

Been testing 4.5Ghz @ 1.3v with memory @ 2133 and it happily ran the ROG Realbench Benchmark a few times and 3DMark Firestrike. So it's looking promising from a CPU stand point.

Waiting for my AX1500i PSU to come back from RMA, then I can run all 4x Titan X's. But with 3x GPU's and CPU @ 4.5Ghz I achieved the following:-

ROG RealBench Benchmarking Results:- Overall 122k (no idea if this is decent or not)

Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/6724247 I think that's about right...
Corsair H105 (Push/Pull)

Hawkstorm
Level 7
Then you have the same board as me DO NOT GOTO THE WRONG SUPPORT PAGE!

There's 2 R5E the normal one and the USB one and they have their own differences and own bios.

1502 is the highest bios for the 3.1 board(one that comes with the USB daughter board), and you have the same board as I do, if it has 1701 on it then you should be concerned. 3.1 Boards currently come with 1502, Asd for telling the two boards apart apart form the addon card I can't tell you maybe someone else can.

I don't know if you have a return board that someone has already played with perhaps and incorrectly flashed, but the fact that you had to start plugging in chips correctly I'd have already sent it back.

Realbench and others will pile in and disagree I found to be useless except for a vague guide to stability, I wasted weeks because of trying it out, use memtest86 on a usb stick for tweaking System agent and getting a idea if your kits running correctly first then worry about if windows loads later and your overclock.

OCCT CPU test is good for stability testing and is very reliable, watch your Vcore and temps running it on mine it jumps 0.120 even on manual volting and I've not found the reason for it, and its not LLC its been driving me nuts as its unwanted and unneeded voltage that pushes me over 80deg at 4.4ghz, when for the same voltage I could run at 4.5ghz but can because of this 'Auto overvolting' behaviour, and it does it on all types of volting and ramps up the higher you go with Memory speed.

Why on earth did you put 4 titans in a rig? lol Seeing as your obviously rich and I'm in need of a rich friend fancy being my best mate seeing as Xmas is coming up and all? ROFL Me I've only got 2 gtx760's *cough* ROFL

Hawkstorm wrote:
Then you have the same board as me DO NOT GOTO THE WRONG SUPPORT PAGE!

There's 2 R5E the normal one and the USB one and they have their own differences and own bios.

1502 is the highest bios for the 3.1 board(one that comes with the USB daughter board), and you have the same board as I do, if it has 1701 on it then you should be concerned. 3.1 Boards currently come with 1502, Asd for telling the two boards apart apart form the addon card I can't tell you maybe someone else can.

I don't know if you have a return board that someone has already played with perhaps and incorrectly flashed, but the fact that you had to start plugging in chips correctly I'd have already sent it back.

Realbench and others will pile in and disagree I found to be useless except for a vague guide to stability, I wasted weeks because of trying it out, use memtest86 on a usb stick for tweaking System agent and getting a idea if your kits running correctly first then worry about if windows loads later and your overclock.

OCCT CPU test is good for stability testing and is very reliable, watch your Vcore and temps running it on mine it jumps 0.120 even on manual volting and I've not found the reason for it, and its not LLC its been driving me nuts as its unwanted and unneeded voltage that pushes me over 80deg at 4.4ghz, when for the same voltage I could run at 4.5ghz but can because of this 'Auto overvolting' behaviour, and it does it on all types of volting and ramps up the higher you go with Memory speed.

Why on earth did you put 4 titans in a rig? lol Seeing as your obviously rich and I'm in need of a rich friend fancy being my best mate seeing as Xmas is coming up and all? ROFL Me I've only got 2 gtx760's *cough* ROFL

I use 3x ROG Swifts @7680x1440 144hz, i need horsepower lol. I have a 3930K, RIVE, 32Gb TridentX 2400, 3x Evga 780Ti SC's for sale if interested? They just sitting in boxes now doing nothing lol
Corsair H105 (Push/Pull)

Hawkstorm
Level 7
Anyway back to the issue at had I've no idea which board you have as like I say if you have a 3.1 board max revision for it is 1502.

My 3.1 board has 2 red 3.1 usb headers on it one at the leftside of the board and one near the large ATX power connector, I've heard the original doesn't come with 3.1 but I've no real hard answers.

You need to identify your board and put the right bios on it, and or send it back for one that doesn't have chips you have to plug in yourself. lol

Though I will say be really careful running that overclock on that CPU on a CLC watch your temps on CPU testing in OCCT, if they are too high then consider a more modest overclock or a custom loop water solution, personally at that voltage on that CPU I think your well over the limit that 105 can handle.

And DO NOT run prime95 on it unless you like toast.

As for GPU's I'm thinking of maybe getting 2 970's but have to way up the benefits vs a 980ti, I may wait a year or so these 760's seem fine at the mo for 1080p.

Mhill2029
Level 8
Confirmed, it is the USB3.1 version as that's the one I bought and what it shows on the front of the box, illustrating the add in card. Although after some serious googling I see no differences in the PCB between either boards. From what I can see they are identical in every way, just one is supplied with an add in card.

I think i'll flash to the latest for this board, which is 1501 i believe.

While i was bored, i also tested XMP with my memory. And sure enough the board fired up and booted into windows without issues using the 125 strap. What bugs me though, is that all i keep reading all over the web is conflicting discussions regarding using the 125 strap, even the Bios itself mentions using a high BLCK can degrade the processor. But yet, on many occasions i see people using that strap, even reviewers. So what is right?

Do i use the 125 strap with XMP or not? I see is a series of forum discussions from so called experts having conflicting views on this.
Corsair H105 (Push/Pull)

Hawkstorm
Level 7
Ya and if you keep pulling that face it will stick that way. ROFL

And the guy saying that is the one prolly running his 5960x at 1.65v vcore at 4.6ghz.

125Mhz strap tends to be more stable than 100 with XMP and higher frequency's also there's a bit of a boost because of the higher frequency on the bus.

Also if I remember correctly the bios should flip to the 125Mhz strap when running over 2400Mhz and also flip off turbo, though the 3300Mhz corsair Kit I tried also tried using the 100Mhz strap at 3300Mhz, but running higher frequencies 125Mhz is recommended.

Unless you want to use speedstep and have your cpu frequency and vcore running all over and use adaptive volting there's no advantage to using 100Mhz strap as far as I'm aware.

As for differnces between the boards there will be, Asus wouldn't keep the 2 different bios Branches if there weren't. as to the full extent of what they are I'm not certain.

Latest version is 1502 for the 3.1 board, and they all come shipped with it at this time, as far as I know the other tyoe comes shipped with 1701, which is why I'm thinking you may either have a board someone has toyed with, or a incorrectly boxed normal board in a 3.1 box.

With the bent pins I'd have shipped it back for a replacement.

http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/RAMPAGE_V_EXTREMEU31/HelpDesk_Download/

If your a lucky one and everything is stable at 3000Mhz with no tweaking then good for you but hasn't been the case for me and the 3 kits I've tried so far, realbench etc didn't highlight any problems, then started getting BSOD's with page fault in non paged area which is a Ram related fault.

Spent another 2 days tweaking and with Memtest86 and OCCT to get properly stable, something you should pay close attention to as you run a raid array this board loves to drop out Disks from bios and it seems to be related to memory stability.

I've had it do it on me during setup fortunately I wasn't running a raid array, but then I couldn't get this board to install on 2 SSD's in Raid 0 without hanging up but one later went faulty, so just have it on a single disk though it was dropping that one out of Bios to at that time in Raid mode so Fun and games with this board, fun and games.