cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G752VT clean install - some issues found and questions

Dr4g0n36
Level 10
SOLUTION FOUND, READ ENTIRE POST

HI, i've received a brand new G752VT-T7005T a couple of days ago. During this two days i've found some little issues (dvd writer starts load randomly even if empty, usb ports sometimes refresh during copy and doing a new folder wherever i want shows up only after pressing F5) that convince me to do a fresh install (like every "G" received in the last 6 years);

Assuming that i'm running Windows on a Samsung m.2 SSD 128gb installed onto IRST controller LOCKED into RAID mode, thats what i've found:

Doing a fresh bootable media of Windows 10 update 1155 (UEFI mode) using a USB 3.0 drive (fully working) don't show up in boot selection, using a 2.0 it works.

To recognize the m.2 drive, you have to load onto your usb drive IRST drivers, used in the section of disks research; IRST provided from ASUS website crash (blue screen IRQL), but with THIS the setup will recognize SSD and will work fine.

My questions:

there's a way to modify m.2 mode that's actually locked (grey selection) in RAID mode (i have to load RAID driver to install, no way to set in AHCI)?

if i buy a new Samsung to make a RAID 0, how i can enter into a RAID section to configure it?

searching on the net, all SSD same of mine that are on sell are named "AHCI", there's something wrong if i buy it to make my RAID?

Thanks for replies.

ACTUALLY WITH 205 BIOS THERE'S NO WAY TO SET IN RAID MODE 2 SSD EVEN IF MACHINE IS ONLY IN RAID BOOT MODE (UNIQUE SELECTION POSSIBLE IN BIOS SETUP). RAID PROTOCOL IS ENABLED ONLY FOR THE IRST COMMUNICATION PORT (SSD IS NATIVE RAID/AHCI SO IS NOT A SATA DRIVE).

EDIT: MINI GUIDE FOR A FULL WORKING MACHINE WITH CLEAN INSTALL
Here's a mini guide step by step to have a fully working G752 with a clean install:

• Download from Microsoft website using this tool last ISO of Windows 10 Home x64
  • Burn onto a USB 2.0 (3.0 actually doesn't be recognized from 205 BIOS) drive using rufus (select first the downloaded ISO an then select GPT partitioning)
  • Download from here lastest Intel RAID driver and simply insert unzipped folder onto USB drive
  • OPTIONAL: if you want to install Windows 10 PRO version instead of home, you have to insert into bootable USB, after creating it, this file "ei.cfg" in SOURCE folder (Google for ei.cfg creation)
  • OPTIONAL: remove secondary HDD to avoid issue/unwanted loss of data, you can reload it when you will reach desktop for the first time, after first user shutdown
  • Turn on PC pressing ESC until you see boot list, select your USB drive and go on
  • Windows setup will automatically find your Windows 10 serial from UEFI bios so you will not be prompted for wich Windows version you want to install
  • Arrived in disk selection setup you will see no disk attached. Select "load driver" and use the driver downloaded from previous step, wait for a while and you will se Samsung m.2 drive
  • delete all partitions, hit next and setup will automatically recereate UEFI structure (because SSD already is GPT formatted)
  • Proceed for the rest of installation like normal one (inserting account, wifi, etc.)

Once reached Desktop for first time, my hint is to turn notebook onto airplane mode (FN+F2 doesn't work anymore, you have to install first the app) using the button placed in wifi panel.
Proceed (if you haven't do this step before format) with the download and installation of all package (better if downloaded from a parallel PC so you don't enable Windows to download updates while downloading drivers) from ASUS website except for this three one:

• Nvidia GPU drivers here
  • ASUS Spendid Utility here
  • Realtek audio driver: use ASUS driver
  • ASUS Sonic Suite 2 here

So if you do anything correct you will have to download this list from ASUS support page:
Reboot when prompted and at the end re-enable wifi.

SSD OPTIMIZATION:
Heres a couple of trick to optimize SSD life and speed:

• launch CMD with admin privileges and type "powercfg /h off"
  • under System --> Advanced turn off Paging file by selecting it and disabling automatic mode (reboot)
  • search for "defrag" select manage and disable it
  • in Device manager select SSD properties and thick the selection "disable Buffer unload" (we have battery that can supply power shortage)

LAST HINT:
If you have the "Num Lock" Windows 10 issue (no Num Lock at startup) see here:

• Launch Regedit
  • Navigate to: HKEY_USERS --> .DEFAULT -->Control Panel --> Keyboard
  • Find "InitialKeyboardIndicators" key
  • Add "+2" at the value (if you have 2147483648 type 2147483650)
  • Reboot

SSD PERFORMANCE:
For people that found pathetic write speed recognized with SSD's program benchmark, it's not a driver issue or incompatibilty, if you search for the spec of MZVLV128 Samsung m.2 drive you will find that this drive can read up to 1500 MB/s and write only 150 MB/s . So the only problem found is that ASUS decided to install "crappy" entry level SSD.

EDIT 2: after release of BIOS 213 you can simply select from Chipset page wich mode you want to channel operate (AHCI or RAID) that cannot be selected in previous version. If you want to boot from a 2,5" SSD/HDD now you can select "AHCI" and Windows 10 setup now will be able to recognize SATA drive as boot device. Also we are discussing if is better leave NVMe drives with RAID protocol or re-install / convert to AHCI protocol (discussion con be found HERE )
66 REPLIES 66

Dr4g0n36
Level 10
After successfully formatted and reinstalled software, i have to report that:

• Splendid Utility is the update version and not the installer version. I had to download the G750 version.
  • Realtek audio suite don't have the Sonic Studio Interface, both version of the driver loaded in G752VT page are without this app, i can't find it nowhere, please adjust link with another package soon!

EDIT1: after numerous try, i've found a working package for Splendid Utility named "Splendid_Win81_64_VER2010021" ; even with tis installed onto system, any package named "update" still uninstall this version and didn't finish setup due to an ICM profile not present

Dr4g0n36 wrote:
After successfully formatted and reinstalled software, i have to report that:

• Splendid Utility is the update version and not the installer version. I had to download the G750 version.
  • Realtek audio suite don't have the Sonic Studio Interface, both version of the driver loaded in G752VT page are without this app, i can't find it nowhere, please adjust link with another package soon!

EDIT1: after numerous try, i've found a working package for Splendid Utility named "Splendid_Win81_64_VER2010021" ; even with tis installed onto system, any package named "update" still uninstall this version and didn't finish setup due to an ICM profile not present

There's actually a Driver CD on the computer called esupport. It has EVERYTHING you need/missing. Just should back this folder up prior to doing a clean install.

Tidbits wrote:
There's actually a Driver CD on the computer called esupport. It has EVERYTHING you need/missing. Just should back this folder up prior to doing a clean install.

That post was before my first post edited.

Dr4g0n36 wrote:
That post was before my first post edited.

If anyone has a spot where I can upload the full esupport zip I have backed up I will gladly upload them

There's no need, all drivers from ASUS site are exactly the same of eSupport folder, except for theese that we are discussing here.

Dr4g0n36 wrote:
There's no need, all drivers from ASUS site are exactly the same of eSupport folder, except for theese that we are discussing here.

those are on the esupport folder as the ones we are discussing. I didn't have trouble installing them from the CD.

Tidbits wrote:
those are on the esupport folder as the ones we are discussing. I didn't have trouble installing them from the CD.

Thats true but if you read my post i had to d a clean install due to a Windows update crash. So i had no option to Reach again esupport folder, i was forced to fully format.

Dr4g0n36 wrote:
Thats true but if you read my post i had to d a clean install due to a Windows update crash. So i had no option to Reach again esupport folder, i was forced to fully format.

That's why I said if anyone has a place to upload the files I will upload them for someone who needs them 🙂 So they can get everything they need. I was lucky enough with the problem I had(Windows app problems) that I had time to backup the folder. Helps to have a thumb for those moments you ran into.

Sure, but that's why exist this thread XD . All drivers from asus site are perfect, except for these three that are uploaded and linked here from my OneDrive Pro via persistant folder 😉